The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

disputing a speeding ticket

2gingers1cup

Your court date = the court dates of all the other drivers which were ticketed by the same cop.

At least that's what I've heard. So don't bank on the cop not showing up.

Seeing as how the ticket was already lowered, I doubt you can convince them to lower it even more.

Funny how some of you are telling the OP not to accept his responsibility.

Bunch of spoiled brats. I'm not surprised one bit that the Riots happened.

Having to pay for a car, insurance, cell phone, and whatever else the average 18 year old has + go to school and work a part-time job for minimum wage is A LOT of responsibility. What do you work? Nice easy 8 hour shifts 5 days a week? You're probably what, in your 30's? maybe 40's? and got your job HANDED to you on a silver platter during the golden age of our economy when gas was 39 cents a liter?

You were doing 60, double the speed limit, in a school zone??? :shock: And you think you should dispute the ticket??? . Suck it up, accept responsibility for doing something unbelievably stupid and dangerous and don't do it again. :picard:

You got off lucky, don't look a gift officer in the mouth. Get a paper route or something and man up.

First of all I think the OP should just find a way to pay the fine. You did the crime now pay the fine.

However, what the OP or anyone in his situation could do is simply request a change of venue to anywhere in the province, which is his/her right. Request a change of venue to Prince Rupert and I can pretty much guarantee that the officer in question will not show up. When the officer does not show up that will be that.

However, if the OP does not have the funds to pay the fine I doubt he has the funds to make it to Price Rupert.

Don't know where this ^^^ crap came from but ok.....

I had graduated and was out of the house and on my own at 16 so please don't give me a sermon on the responsibilities of an 18 year old today. :rolleyes:

I work an average of 75 hours/week in a highly specialized field and believe me, nobody handed me a bloody thing. Everything I have today I have worked for, trained for and made sacrifices for.

Ohhhh puhleeze....... try a better argument next time.

Hmm... trying to pick a fight with me now. You have the "Sorry I was wrong, but won't admit it" look all over you. It's ok though. I forgive you, because im responsible. But sorry friend, arguing with the type of person that you are is a waste of time, because you once again read between the lines, and you will continue to do so until the person gives up so you're satisfied. That's ok though you'll get it one day.

Hopefully next time you try and read what the guy is trying to say instead of condemn him without a moment's though?

You said he was spoiled.. Ok so if he was spoiled, his parents would pay it for him, and according to him that didn't happen.

He's asking for advice and help, on the court system and how it works (which is confusing btw, lawyers go to school for YEARS to study the subject) so you go to insult him and call him stupid. That's really helpful, and mature for someone of your stature.

Then you say he's trying to weasel his way out of responsbility by asking for an extension .... Let me guess, when you were younger, you never needed an extension on anything because you're perfect?

and then you go on to insult me, and brag about how you moved out when you were 16. Cool. Why?

And how is what I said a bad argument? Because you did all of that and then some when you were 16 when everything was 10x cheaper? Cool.

Well, this thread escalated quickly. I dunno why everyone is jumping down the kids neck when he's asking a simple question. Chill out... I'm pretty sure he knows the implication of the ticket since he can't even afford it.

Well, this thread escalated quickly. I dunno why everyone is jumping down the kids neck when he's asking a simple question. Chill out... I'm pretty sure he knows the implication of the ticket since he can't even afford it.

First off, you deserve an expensive ticket for going 30 km/h over the speed limit. That's reckless. School zones exist for a reason, you could have killed a child. In my opinion, drivers like you need to have their lisences taken away. Sure, I don't go exactly 30 km/h in a school zone, but I sure as hell don't go DOUBLE the speed limit.

Secondly, yes, generally if the officer doesn't show up to court (which is actually highly unlikely, contrary to popular belief), your case will be dismissed. However, chances are he will actually show, and all he's going to have to say is "I got him on radar going ___, but I just didn't write it down", and you'll be found guilty, since his testimony is considered gold. Just because he didn't write the speed down, doesn't mean you will automatically win.

Third, while you may be still found guilty, it might be in your best interest to dispute the amount of the fine instead, not the actual offense. Chances are if you explain your situation financially, you'll hopefully be able to get a reduced fine. Disputing the actual offense will likely just get your defense ripped apart. I would tailor my appearance in court to getting that fine lessened.

Fourth, get a job. $138 is like maybe 2 days of work. You knew what would happen if you got caught, and you did, so deal with it.

Edit: I understand you're a full-time student and may not be strong financially, but I REALLY just dislike reckless drivers, and I think our licensing system is a joke. None of this post was meant to attack you in any way, just sort of a vent while I'm at it.

First off why the frack were you going 60 in a school zone!!! C'mon man.

Second, like many have already said yes if the cop doesn't show up then you don't have to pay, but in my expirences the cop usually shows up 75% of the time. You've already have had it pretty easy by the cop knocking money off already, I have never had a cop knock money off my ticket.

It's a bit dated (2 years ago) but...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/07/19/bc-vancouver-traffic-tickets-dismissed.html

Assuming it's the same...you have a 1/5 chance of not paying the speeding ticket.

Also coming up is (if Bill is pass...to be implemented by 2014)...

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/360883--bc-considers-dealing-with-traffic-ticket-disputes-by-phone

There are two types of disputes:

1)Disputing the ticket

2)Disputing the price

Don't be a jerk and dispute the ticket if you were legitamately caught by a radar. You can go to court and ask for a lesser fine because you are a student but be prepared to back it up with bank statements proving low balances. Otherwise they have a very low tolerance on young drivers who speed.

Archived