The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Our 2nd Actually be Our 3rd Line?.............

I think we need to make an upgrade in quality to lift a Cup.

As I have said often we have a fine set of players but I think we lack variation. I would like to see us trade away Higgins, Hansen, Malhotra and Booth and create a BIG rugged 2nd line of bruisers and snipers.

The team would then be along the lines of

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Kane(Clowe) - Perry(Arnott) - Backes(Stewart)

Raymond - Kesler - Burrows

Volpatti - Lapierre - Pinizzotto

I would then trade Edler for a big defensive reasonably priced body like Weber if maybe not actually Weber (considering cap)

Ballard - Weber..................Hamhuis - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Bieksa...............Ballard - Erik Johnson

Sbisa - Tanev.....................Sbisa - Tanev

Part of our problem as I see it is we have relied on (augmented by the Sedins) defensive scoring, PP and outstanding net-minding to get us to where we are but I don't think that set up (in the way we utilise it, with average body size) will take us through a war of attrition.

It might sound radical, but I want to make our defence help out the goalie and our attack waste the opposition 5 on 5 with a mixture of skill, speed and big hitting. That line up has it all depending on how well Kassian improves and Raymond comes out of pre season.

I see a team along these lines getting multiple cups. The 2nd line for me was the most disappointing in the team.........some of that can be put down to injury but in my view they were not big enough and did not play a cohesive, joined up game. Frankly I doubt it will improve with the personnel concerned. That said I have more faith in Kesler's big time ability than Booth's

Now, how do we do it? Can we do it for less?

Ok one more time just for you............CAN WE DO IT FOR LESS?................do you see it tucked down at the bottom of the post?

Maybe if you didn't understand the point of the post and the theory behind it you should just have moved on and left this thread to people who have some ideas to put forward.

our problem is that Kesler doesnt produce with his line, so thats why were thinking in putting it down to the 3rd. IMO Manny malhotra is garbage, if i was gillis i would dump him. we need to find a GOOD right winger for kesler like : Voracek, maybe even Versteeg, .

I think we could, if the players were available realistically accommodate this. It is weakening my theory with Burr in the 2nd but by my thinking this would be Kesler and Raymonds's make or break season. And if they don't make it perhaps Gaunce, Jensen and Mallet might be ready.

There is size energy and, if Kesler comes back firing, plenty of points in the 2nd line. The first line should really fire up with a big battling sniper like Perry feeding of the silky Sedins.

I also like the 3rd line if Raymond get's back to some decent form. His speed, Kassians size in front of the net and Lapierre's abrasive trouble making, it would mean that the opposition could not ignore it. ...............It's a thought.

Sedin - Sedin - Perry

Clowe - Kesler - Burrows

Raymond - Lapierre - Kassian

Volpatti - Schroeder - Pinizzotto

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Johnson

Sbisa - Tanev

projected if Raymond and Kes don't come back and the prospects shape up. (3 french speakers on the 3rd, ooh la, la!)

Sedin - Sedin - Perry

Clowe - Gaunce - Jensen

Mallet - Lapierre - Burrows

Volpatti - Schroeder - Kassian

I realise that this line up is a long shot and some may think optimistic but it has the size and quality we need.

I think we could, if the players were available realistically accommodate this. It is weakening my theory with Burr in the 2nd but by my thinking this would be Kesler and Raymonds's make or break season. And if they don't make it perhaps Gaunce, Jensen and Mallet might be ready.

There is size energy and, if Kesler comes back firing, plenty of points in the 2nd line. The first line should really fire up with a big battling sniper like Perry feeding of the silky Sedins.

I also like the 3rd line if Raymond get's back to some decent form. His speed, Kassians size in front of the net and Lapierre's abrasive trouble making, it would mean that the opposition could not ignore it. ...............It's a thought.

Sedin - Sedin - Perry

Clowe - Kesler - Burrows

Raymond - Lapierre - Kassian

Volpatti - Schroeder - Pinizzotto

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Johnson

Sbisa - Tanev

projected if Raymond and Kes don't come back and the prospects shape up. (3 french speakers on the 3rd, ooh la, la!)

Sedin - Sedin - Perry

Clowe - Gaunce - Jensen

Mallet - Lapierre - Burrows

Volpatti - Schroeder - Kassian

I realise that this line up is a long shot and some may think optimistic but it has the size and quality we need.

Archived