The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ice hockey leagues in burnaby?

Im thinking of joining ice hockey but i have a couple of questions.

How much is house hockey at Burnaby minor hockey association?

Im 13 so what will the cost be for me for house hockey?

How much are you guys paying for hockey?

I live in burnaby, so can i play in a league out of burnaby? If so, which league is the best?

Will they provide equipment or do i have to buy some?

Thanks!!

Have to buy your own equipment, house hockey is upwards around 1000$, at least it was when I was playing. It's worth it. You get around 2 practices/week, and sometimes around 2-3 games/week.

Most fun I had ever. I started just as late as you, took me a couple years to catch up to speed but when I did it was the time of my life.

Have to buy your own equipment, house hockey is upwards around 1000$, at least it was when I was playing. It's worth it. You get around 2 practices/week, and sometimes around 2-3 games/week.

Most fun I had ever. I started just as late as you, took me a couple years to catch up to speed but when I did it was the time of my life.

Bantam House hockey fees range from $700-$1000 in the PCAHA (Pacific Coast Amateur Hockey Association), this is the league Burnaby Minor plays in.

All equipment (minus the jersey and socks) must be bought from your own pocket. Some places provide them, while other places make you pay a deposit ($100-$200) for jerseys, which you will get back if the jersey is returned at the end of the year. You get to keep the socks.

Even if you completely cheap out on equipment, you will still be looking at around $250. If you want halfway decent equipment, you'll be looking at around $500. If you wan't the good stuff, the skates alone will cost around $500, and you'll be looking at $1000+.

I've been playing in the PCAHA for 12 years.

Considering around every 2-3 years I was buying new equipment, and the 12 years of registration fees, I've probably had $10k+ going towards hockey (not including Spring Leagues, costs for hotels on away games/tournaments etc., which would probably add a few more thousand to the total.)

Cost is the biggest obstacle for people when considering choosing hockey as a sport, and for good reason. It's stupid expensive.

How fit are you? I'd suggest not playing house right away because depending on your skating ability/hockey sense/physical fitness you're going to get murdered. If you have at least a decent level in those 3 attributes dive right in and learn by doing. Otherwise, I'd suggest finding a different (non-contact) league and get your feet wet first. I played 2 years of bantam-aged hockey in a different league and then started house. I still got killed. Who knows though, maybe learning by doing is the best in this case. Not sure what I'd do if I went through it again.

How fit are you? I'd suggest not playing house right away because depending on your skating ability/hockey sense/physical fitness you're going to get murdered. If you have at least a decent level in those 3 attributes dive right in and learn by doing. Otherwise, I'd suggest finding a different (non-contact) league and get your feet wet first. I played 2 years of bantam-aged hockey in a different league and then started house. I still got killed. Who knows though, maybe learning by doing is the best in this case. Not sure what I'd do if I went through it again.

Archived