The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Game] Fan solutions to CBA Negotiations

Wilbur

Currently CBA negotiations are going on. With hockey as popular as it has been for quite a while and with owners and players seemingly not doing too bad (Phoenix notwithstanding) an agreement should be a slam dunk, right? Right?

Well, here is a chance to post what you think should be included in the next CBA.

I'll start:

1) I hate the long contracts that take players up to 40. Players of this calibre currently play until they are about 40 but will they if there is hardly any financial incentive? I equally don't like the NHL's proposal of max 5 year contracts. Top players will just continually ask for the maximum. I suggest not allowing long term contracts over 5 years long that take a player past 35. For example, a 23 year old can sign a 12 year deal, a 28 year old can sign a 7 year deal, and anyone 30+ can only sign a 5 year deal maximum.

2) Following that, I dislike the rule where contracts signed when a player is over 35 still count against the cap if they retire, get sent down, etc. Scrap that rule, but don't allow front loaded contracts to those players. Amount paid must be equal in year 1 to year 2 to year 3, etc.

So, what else would you like to see?

1) 5 year max contracts all equal in salary per year. Bonus included.

2) 35 plus have no need to stay on Cap because the the contract cant be front loaded .

3) lower split to 54% keep cap at 70 mil until that is 54% then start to raise it accordingly

These are three basic ones, I have about 50 others but it would take too long . Im sure we all do.

1) 5 year max contracts all equal in salary per year. Bonus included.

2) 35 plus have no need to stay on Cap because the the contract cant be front loaded .

3) lower split to 54% keep cap at 70 mil until that is 54% then start to raise it accordingly

These are three basic ones, I have about 50 others but it would take too long . Im sure we all do.

The canucks are a high revenue team.

I want any advantage that this entails to be incorporated into the CBA, within reason of course.

We are paying far more for tickets than almost all other cities, so we deserve some comptitive advantages.

1. Long contracts are an advantage for us however, I can understand limiting them to ten or so years.

The league doesn't allow them to go past age 40 now which is a good thing. I don't want them cut to five years. That would hurt us.

2. Front loading contracts helps us since we are loaded. We can afford to pay huge bonuses and then trade these players later when their actually salary is lower and the cap hit is still high.

3. I'd like to see a luxury tax like they have in the nba. So if we go over the cap we can pay a tax (nba they use a complex formula).

So let's say we go all in next year and trade for Iginla at the trade deadline. It puts us 5 mil over the cap then we have to pay a % of it to the league and it is split up among the low revenue teams.

More to come.

The canucks are a high revenue team.

I want any advantage that this entails to be incorporated into the CBA, within reason of course.

We are paying far more for tickets than almost all other cities, so we deserve some comptitive advantages.

1. Long contracts are an advantage for us however, I can understand limiting them to ten or so years.

The league doesn't allow them to go past age 40 now which is a good thing. I don't want them cut to five years. That would hurt us.

2. Front loading contracts helps us since we are loaded. We can afford to pay huge bonuses and then trade these players later when their actually salary is lower and the cap hit is still high.

3. I'd like to see a luxury tax like they have in the nba. So if we go over the cap we can pay a tax (nba they use a complex formula).

So let's say we go all in next year and trade for Iginla at the trade deadline. It puts us 5 mil over the cap then we have to pay a % of it to the league and it is split up among the low revenue teams.

More to come.

1. Maximum Annual Salary of 15% of the Salary Cap.

2. Maximum Cap Hit of 12.5% of the Salary Cap.

3. Maximum Contract Length of 8 years.

4. Salary Cap is lowered to 54%. Keep cap at $70M until that is 54% then start to raise it accordingly. (I also like Drybone's proposition.)

5. Each year's salary must be no less than 80% of the highest paying year in the contract (thus helping to avoid front-loaded contracts.)

1. Negative on the luxury tax. The NHL BoG are trying to grow the game in small market areas. A luxury tax would allow big market teams to outperform smaller market teams (ie the Yankees).

2. Negative on the max contract length of 5 years. I say push it to 8 or 10.

3. Allow signing bonuses, but the bonus cannot be greater than 50% of the average annual cap hit AND the bonus counts towards the team's cap in the year incurred.

4. No single year's salary can be greater than 150% or less than 50% of the average annual cap hit.

5. a) GM's cannot sign a player to a 3+ year contract that expires past the age of 35.

b') If a player is 35-36, max contract length of 3 years.

c) " " 37-38, " " 2 years.

d) " " 39+, " " 1 year.

Archived