The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Marijuana should be Legalized

Tystick

It may not have enough factual information to be directly correlated with lung cancer, but keep this in mind. My aunt has smoked her entire life, and has developed some of the worst gum disease I have ever seen, worse than this:

p_gum_disease.jpg

And that's just her mouth!

The chemicals in cigarette smoke create an extremely toxic poison that in turn deteriorates parts of the body over long term use. I know this to be fact because it's something I have personally experienced in my family several times.

Watch this:

That's what sits in your lungs from long term use.

That being said, nicotine is a substance proven to be healthy. It actually has benefits for the heart as well.

It is possible that you can isolate the nicotine from the rest of the crap in a cigarette just by vaporizing it. Have you ever tried or considered E-Cigs? They are a much healthier way to support your nicotine habit, and in turn, actually help you quit smoking as well.

Anyway, it's your choice what you do man, I just wanted to let you know there is an alternative out there.

Hope you don't take this the wrong way.

Appreciate the advice bud...I've actually been looking into investing in an e-cig starter set...the ones around here start at $90 and go up to $145...there's one called Logic that a bud of mine from college has been using for a few years...maybe I'll give that a shot...guess what I'm looking at also though is the cost of a pack of refill cartridges are like 12 bucks...vs the cost of a pack of Spirits at $4.75...originally started smoking to help me deal with manic depression...so i guess it's just been routine...smoked Winstons and Salems til the Spirits came out, then switched to them exclusively. Looking at the money I've spent in the last month alone on packs...it probably would make better sense to buy the Logic starter set and just buy refills.

So it being illegal is stopping this? Prohibition is a joke. It's not stopping people from using illegal substances, it just wastes our tax dollars policing it.

Give people the proper education, regulate it, and let people make their own choices.

I'm 22 and have been a fairly moderate smoker now for 2 years. It hasn't negatively impacted my life at all really. I work full-time, plan on going to school soon, I pay taxes, and it isn't some magic gateway drug that has me on the path to meth.

Making something legal doesn't mean everyone is going to run out and do it, legal doesn't = condoning something. Example: Alcohol and Tobacco.

I think in a way it could be a gateway to psychedelics, but that being said, it's not a gateway in the sense that you will suddenly start physically craving mushrooms. The whole gateway thing is so misconstrued. Marijuana gives you a new perspective on reality. Once you understand that, you may feel you want to go deeper and learn more about yourself. That's all psychedelics are.

I personally feel that marijuana should be legalized not solely to allow those who smoke it to do it without the paranoias as I said earlier in this thread, but more because I feel the people that grow it, at their own homes, for their own usage, should not be thrown in jail simply for cultivating an herb that has obvious calming properties, helps people deal with the stresses and pain of terminal illness, glaucoma, schizophrenia, nerve disorders, PTSD etc a hell of a lot easier than the worthless pharmaceutical drugs intended to treat the same problems. I think that if we were to at the very least decriminalize here in the US, allow those who are adept at growing it to operate just like any other subsistence farmer and (obviously) tax the hell out of it, you'd begin to see this deficit everyone's yammering about start to go down pretty damned quick. Regulation I think is the best policy for marijuana...I don't think you should be able to walk down a sidewalk street in town toking on a joint, not pay attention to what you're doing or where you're going and cause any accidents or anything...but if I have a stressful day because of my PTSD, and I want to sit in my driveway in a lawn chair on my property and light up a bowl or a joint, I want to know that I don't have to worry about a drunk or in a more likely scenario busybody neighbor calling the cops on me just for doing so.

Funny, what you just said amounted to YOUR OPINION, about what was posted.

It isn't simply a matter of smell, it is a matter of what is your right to subject others to. I don't want to be coming out from buying groceries to a pile of people standing outside toking up and I shouldn't have to.

I've said I don't give a rats ass if you or anyone else wants to do pot, get drunk, or do whatever drug you want. It's your choice to do it, as it is my choice not to. By respecting your right to do it, I should be respected back by not being subjected to what you do.

People who want their view respected, should learn to respect others views. If you want your rights respected, then respect the rights of others.

There is no opinion in the post you quoted. There is only one fact, that the issue of smell has been dealt with in this thread a number of times. Maybe you didn't notice? Here's the short of it:

Complaining about marijuana smell opens the door to complaining about every other smell someone somewhere will find offensive. Do you wear perfume? Cook with spices? BBQ meat? Wear deodorant? Not wear deodorant? Can you think of a smell you exude? I don't like it and shouldn't be subjected to it. Are you picking up what I'm putting down yet?

You're welcome to present a retort, or you're welcome to do like Lenny and split.

OR

you are told all your life that pot is bad like the rest. Then you try some and realise its not that bad. At that point you figure people are exxagerating about the rest too.

OR

because buying weed is illegal you buy it from the same guy that sells other illegal drugs

Slaytanic, you really need to take an unbiased look at the massive amount of research in the scientific literature if you really believe there isn't a very strong correlation between smoking and lung cancer. Regularly inhaling any burning organic matter is going to strongly contribute to the possibility of lung cancer, along with other respiratory illnesses, whether the organic material in question is tobacco, marijuana, or grass clippings.

Slaytanic, you really need to take an unbiased look at the massive amount of research in the scientific literature if you really don't believe there isn't a very strong correlation between smoking and lung cancer. Regularly inhaling any burning organic matter is going to strongly contribute to the possibility of lung cancer, along with other respiratory illnesses, whether the organic material in question is tobacco, marijuana, or grass clippings.

Glad you posted this, I spent all afternoon poring over literature in journals, scientific papers...and I was going to come in here earlier and admit I was wrong, but it slipped my mind, but i'm doing it now, I'm killing myself needlessly. I'm going to buy an e-cig starter set next week and attempt to get out from under the stranglehold of Big Tobacco and others. I was wrong, and I'm admitting this now. I'm actually pretty scared too right now.

The drug has been proven to cause anxiety disorders IF it is consumed very frequently in critical development stages of the brain (ie, before the age of about 20.) There after, it may still have an affect.

Read here: http://www.steadyhealth.com/marijuana_causing_anxiety__t210329.html (or google around...)

Smoking marijuana can definitely cause anxiety, and if it's not causing your anxiety, it can make your anxiety a whole lot worse. The problem is that it causes a spike in seratonin in your brain, which means that it floods your head and causes you to feel good. The problem is after--your brain's seratonin levels are depleted, and often your brain does not produce more which can cause serious anxiety. If you are worried about it, it's a good idea to give up weed for awhile to let your mood even out. Keep us posted!

Archived