The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Evaluating NHLPA's proposal - Meet on Wednesday.

Article from tsn: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403068

The National Hockey League and NHL Players' Association ended up their latest round of discussions on Tuesday after the union made its own proposal in an effort to work out a new collective bargaining agreement.

"It's clear to me (the NHLPA) didn't put (the proposal) together in an hour or two," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman told reporters on Tuesday, confirming the league would evaluate the proposal at their offices.

While Bettman did not reveal any details of the presentation, both sides will meet again on Wednesday morning. NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr and the player will address the media momentarily.

Fehr said Monday that the proposal will be an "alternative view" rather than a counter-offer to the initial plan put forward by the NHL last month.

The league's proposal called for lowering the players' share in revenue and introducing new contract restrictions, including a five-year cap on deals.

While players have attended every session of bargaining, today is the first time the game's biggest stars - including Sidney Crosby andAlex Ovechkin - have taken part. The current CBA expires Sept. 15 and the NHL has said there will be a lockout if a new agreement isn't in place by then.

More details to follow.

It doesn't say what the proposal was, merely that Bettman wants to review, or delay the proceedings. TSN was hyping the appearance of some of the leagues stars, which is understandable as they are the one's who would ultimately get robbed from their deals if they lose a portion of the pie.

So to sum it up more nicely

3-4 year deal

There would be a hard cap

Players would take less revenue

250 million more in revenue sharing (as Jeff Marek said it best this is supposed to divide owners which is a great move. The owners did the same thing in 04 turning players and gaents against leadership and that was the reason we got a deal. Fehr is a smart man)

No changes to current salary length structure/etc

Luxury Tax would be included with teams being able to go over the cap and some teams under (this per Chris Johnstons twitter handle)

Cap would not go up over much in the next few years (basically both sides would agree to certain fixed amount it could go up)

Teams could go a little bit above in luxury tax pot

Hopefully the players' proposal is more reasonable than the owners' (which it sounds like it is). The owners' proposal was completely pointless, I don't know why they did it knowing that the players would never accept and that they would end up just wasting time.

Hopefully the players' proposal is more reasonable than the owners' (which it sounds like it is).  The owners' proposal was completely pointless, I don't know why they did it knowing that the players would never accept and that they would end up just wasting time.

I want to see a cap on total years of any one contract. I do not want to see lifetime contracts anymore for a number of reasons, but if your going to have a salary cap, then these lifetime deals are just a way around it and should be voided by the head office.

Other than that, I want to see hockey this spring, not see news articles on who is locked out or how progress is going.

A second lockout in less than a decade and a lot of us may just not bother tuning back in, there are amateur hockey organisations like the WHL, OHL and QMJHL that could use our patronage, and will be happy to have the fans.

Summary of counter offer

• New CBA would expire in 3 years

• After 3 years, the players have an option for a 4th year under the current agreement

[*]Salary cap would remain the same over the next 3 years regardless of league performance

• If the league continues to grow as it has 465 - 800 million dollars will be reduced in player costs.

[*]Expanded, more aggressive revenue sharing - up to 1/4 billion dollars (not too sure what this means)

[*]No changes in current contract rules ie. length, loading, amounts

Archived