The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do The Canucks Benefit From The Lockout?

cIutch

Imo yes. I"ll be surprised if there is a season at all.  Look at the recent players signings some were ten year contracts..Now wasn't just a month or so ago we had Gary Bettmen saying he doesn't want long contracts and yet we see these same owners  giving out long contracts. We hear them whine and cry about how much money they're losing and yet these are the same monkies that are agreeing to spend that kind of money on a player.Remember this is the same Gary who said in the last Lockout that having a Salary Cap will solve these problems..Well 7 years later Gary is now facing the same problems. You tell me is this is going to last for half a season? Players felt they were bullied the last time around you really think they are going to cave in to Bettmen's demands?You want to know who really benefits from the lockout are the WHL,the Heat in Abbotsford,The BCHL,Whitecaps and Lions.

It helps the younger teams, hurts the older teams. Actually, it hurts teams with a combination of really young talent and old talent the most. Teams with the most high end talent at prime level get screwed as well, since that window is only about 8-10 years.

The younger teams get another year to physically mature, the older teams get one step closer to retirement. We are one of the older teams in the league. Kassian is really the only guy who benefits from a year in the super charged AHL.

The lockout will hurt the Canucks the most, considering our core players are slowly declining now. Everyone already said our window of opportunity got smaller last year, it's only going to get worse. Teams like the Oilers will benefit a lot with an extra year for their younger players to develop in the minors instead of being rushed onto a dead last NHL team. I highly doubt this will just be a shortened season, sounds like they're nowhere near reaching an agreement.

Archived