The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Victoria Royals Thread

Rate this topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Roberts said:
major trade, the royals are looking like a great team this year.

What do you think the chances are the new guys will be in the lineup vs Portland tomorrow?

I won tickets from CFAX today so I will be at the game.

10 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

What do you think the chances are the new guys will be in the lineup vs Portland tomorrow?

I won tickets from CFAX today so I will be at the game.

im not too sure, I would think they join the team either tomorrow or the next day. let's hope tomorrow!

Edited by Roberts

11 minutes ago, Roberts said:

im not too sure, I would think they join the team either tomorrow or the next day. let's hope tomorrow!

It just might be too quick a turnaround from getting traded.

I wonder if the 'no flying' rule applies for things like this, or do they have to take a bus to get here?

It's too bad that Tweet doesn't show the whole play.  I think the Royals may have got lucky on that one.  One of the Royals crashed into Hofer (with help from a Hawk) just before that goal.  Portland was confident it was goalie interference.  Both teams sort of hung around like they were waiting for it to be reviewed, but it never happened.  It was a weird ending.

I wish I was going again tonight.

Edit > I found the highlights.  OT starts at 3:18

Edited by goalie13

I heard about this in Saturday's game.

After getting a standing ovation from the Victoria Royals fans prior to the game, Portland's Joel Hofer refused to come out and salute the fans when he was named second star in Friday's game, because apparently he didn't like the overtime goal the Royals scored. Not very good sportsmanship from Joel Hofer, he lost a lot of respect from Victoria. When the opposing team's fans give you a standing ovation for a tremendous accomplishment, the least you can do is salute them after the game when you are named a star.

Edited by Roberts

16 minutes ago, Roberts said:

I heard about this in Saturday's game.  After getting a standing ovation prior to the game, he refused to come out and salute the fans when he was named second star in Friday's game. Apparently he just didn't like the overtime goal the Royals scored. Bad sportsmanship from Joel Hofer, he lost a lot of respect from Victoria fans

I didn't have a problem with it.  The kid's 19.  He played a stellar game and had a real case for goalie interference on that OT goal.  The refs wouldn't even look at it.

If anything, this is on the Portland coaches for not insisting he goes out.

On a side note, this was posted by Portland...

• 3 months later...

I'm really worried about junior hockey.  The NHL can afford to play in front of empty arenas but the CHL can't.  Hopefully there are enough owners with deep enough pockets, and enough sponsors to keep the teams & league afloat until we come out the other side of this.

Holy crap.  Cam Hope is out as GM.  I did not see that coming.

For Immediate Release
Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Victoria, BC – The GSL Group, parent company of the Victoria Royals, announced today that Cameron Hope will not be returning in his role as President, General Manager and Alternate Governor. Hope was hired as General Manager and Alternate Governor in 2012, and added the title of President in 2014.

“We would like to thank Cameron for contributions and for guiding our franchise,” GSL Group President and CEO Graham S. Lee said. “The COVID-19 crisis has given us the time to reassess our organization and to set a new direction. We are committed to finding strong leadership that will help the Royals reach their full potential both on-and-off the ice.”

The Royals would like to thank all of their supporters for a fantastic 2019-20 hockey season. Fans who still hold unused vouchers, or had purchased tickets, for any of the team’s three cancelled regular season home games in March are encouraged to keep them for use during the upcoming 2020-21 season. Royals Ticket Pack Members should also keep an eye on their mailbox over the next few weeks for full renewal details, including missed game credits.

https://victoriaroyals.com/article/royals-announce-leadership-change?fbclid=IwAR3D3PW2UjGmz8vwSvjX3XgDastrl0mGxPLzCA6dwF_PuLaQxBxhVRJlLyA

4 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Interesting development, I felt like the Royals were doing a good job staying competitive all in all.

It's eventum food services that need to fired. I want good beer and better food for the price gouging.

13 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Interesting development, I felt like the Royals were doing a good job staying competitive all in all.

It's eventum food services that need to fired. I want good beer and better food for the price gouging.

I hear ya.  I'm not a beer drinker, but $5 for a bottle of Pepsi is insane.

But I am so surprised at the Hope firing.  If anything, he is one guy that was not afraid to make a trade.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I hear ya.  I'm not a beer drinker, but $5 for a bottle of Pepsi is insane.

But I am so surprised at the Hope firing.  If anything, he is one guy that was not afraid to make a trade.

Insane is right. We buy a lot of fundraiser tickets throughout the season @ $14 ea. Even then a cheap night for us comes in at $100 once the kids get their popcorn, juice/pop and a bit of candy.

If the wife and I both want a few drinks and food, a $200 night comes at you pretty fast. (Our house is 20min walk from the rink, we're allowed a few bevvies)

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Insane is right. We buy a lot of fundraiser tickets throughout the season @ $14 ea. Even then a cheap night for us comes in at $100 once the kids get their popcorn, juice/pop and a bit of candy.

If the wife and I both want a few drinks and food, a $200 night comes at you pretty fast. (Our house is 20min walk from the rink, we're allowed a few bevvies)

I hear ya.  No kids myself, but I take my nieces and nephew to the Teddy Bear toss game every year.  I need a long-term savings plan to be able to afford the game.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

I hear ya.  No kids myself, but I take my nieces and nephew to the Teddy Bear toss game every year.  I need a long-term savings plan to be able to afford the game.

Totally, the kids always want to do chuck a puck or whatever 2nd intermission fundraiser is going on. Also, I'm a sucker for 50/50 tickets because we've had to sell them so many times and I feel obligated to support the teams (and parents) on duty that night. Selling 50/50 is always for a good cause, but a "royal" pain in the butt.