The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afghan girl beheaded after refusing man’s marriage proposal

nuckin_futz

Instead of dropping bombs on them and wiping them out. How about educating them? Might just be crazy enough to work. Bombing the crap out of them sure hasn't worked. Would probably take a few generations though. That kind of stupidity has to be bred out.

Yes, I am dead serious. Even the most closed minded of individuals are capable of change, even yourself. It won't be easy and will take generations, Maybe you've lost faith in the human race. I haven't.

That's what they said when people stood up and said slavery was wrong.

That's what they said when women demanded the right to vote.

That's what they said when African Americans demanded civil rights.

That's what they said when gay people wanted the right to get married.

Those changes didn't occur in societies where you can be executed simply for not wearing a veil, marrying someone your parents disapprove, wearing the colour red... or whatever stupid reasons they have.

Places in the Western world, where those changes took place, there was already a system where people's rights, liberty, and freedom was guaranteed (just unfortunately wasn't enforced properly in many cases). The Magna Carta, the US Constitution/Bill of Rights, Bill of Petition, Déclaration des droits de l'homme et du citoyen, etc...... thus changes were able to be made since they're not gonna be killed for their opinions (for the most part).

Most of the Muslim world haven't had their own version of the Enlightenment phases (except Turkey), who knows if they will ever.

There are variations of Islam and culture that you can't really say it is standard throughout the whole Muslim world. For example, a Muslim country might strictly enforce women to wear veils, masks and cover themselves up from head to toe while another country might only enforce them to only wear a head gear. Some Muslim countries are less conservative and more civilized than other countries. In Dubai, an Arab country full of Muslims has night clubs and beaches where women can wear bikinis and not worry about covering up or drink alcohol.

I guess we're in agreement.

I was using Turkey as an example of a secular, liberal country with Islam being the primary religion. The success of Turkey and other countries like Dubai you mentioned, is due to the fact they wish to emulate the West and have a fair law in place.

I am reminded of a quote I heard on talk radio years back, something along the lines of, "The reason of the West is 'ahead' is thatwe're talking about going back to the Moon, visiting Mars, and not talking about the 'glory days' of flying around on a magic carpet."

I guess we're in agreement.

I was using Turkey as an example of a secular, liberal country with Islam being the primary religion. The success of Turkey and other countries like Dubai you mentioned, is due to the fact they wish to emulate the West and have a fair law in place.

I am reminded of a quote I heard on talk radio years back, something along the lines of, "The reason of the West is 'ahead' is thatwe're talking about going back to the Moon, visiting Mars, and not talking about the 'glory days' of flying around on a magic carpet."

Starting with the crusades , we here in the west have always been the aggressors , it has always been us travelling to their part of the world and Fracking with them .

Take my own country for example , our first foray into the world as a nation was when when a bunch of young aussies were sent to invade turkey , a country who had never messed with us in anyway , and ever since young aussies have been dying on middle eastern beaches , on which we had/have no right to be on .

At no time in history have the arabic tribes invaded what i would call a modern western nation , with maybe the exception of spain , which was over a millenia ago .

Not true. The Ottoman Empire expanded rapidly into Europe until the Battle of Vienna, which took place in 1683. Greece was not independent from the Ottomans until the 1820s. The Ottoman Empire tried to invade the Balkans and Greece again in the Balkan wars of 1912-1913. The Ottoman Empire then joined forces with Germany in WWI in an attempt to invade again.

The Arab states have never invaded a Western nation, but they have only existed sicne about 1945. Prior to that they were all part of the Ottoman Empire, which was very very expansive. Prior to the Ottoman Empire, several muslim nations had invaded Europe. The Crusades themselves were attempts to retake territory that had been invaded by muslims. They weren't just randomly entering foreign land.

True .

Greece and the balkans are not , and never have been western nations .

And the parts of Europe that Ottomans invaded could not be described as modern western nations , which was the criteria i laid down .

As usual you have got your facts wrong in an attempt to discredit me .

One can also argue the reason the West is 'ahead' is simply due to economics, capitalism and the banking establishments that have exploited much of the rest of the world's resources and governments through IMF and World Bank ownership (i.e. 'loans') and of course through the exploitation of their own people through the central banking system.

Excelling economically is simply not viable for much of the Muslim world at this time due to the massive levels of corruption and internal exploitation of resources and wealth by the leaders...who are, for the most part, friends and allies of the West at the expense of their own populations. The Saudi government is holding TRILLIONS of $ within US banks, investments and assets. How do you imagine this would change things if this wealth was given to its rightful recipients - i.e. the people?

Furthermore, while robots are landing on Mars with the price tag in the billions, there are millions of people in the West living in complete poverty, losing their homes, living on the streets and living hungry. Seems to me like priorities are a little askew.

Archived