The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

27 Dead in Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Jägermeister

I think I've read otherwise somewhere today. Perhaps in that article. Do you have any info to back that up because I couldn't find anything? I thought in the article they had mentioned that there was a "boom" in weapons for a short period but their were heavy regulations around who could own them. (higher ranking military iirc or maybe I'm thinking isreal. Meh isreal...switzerland...practically the same place.)If they were 4th in guns do you know what they were in gun related violence? I'd like to read what their regulations and education around guns and gun control are.

Yeah that does seem really low which is great but knowing what we know now about their regulations I still wonder about how it's gotten to this or how long it's been like this. They have a lot of guns (or had) but do you know what their regulations were at that time?

What regulation would have prevented this?

It looks like existing regulation prevented the guy from buying a gun, but there is no all-encompassing control you can reasonably implement in the real world that would have prevented this guy from attaining a gun or other weapon and using it on people.

In light of that, there needs to be a discussion of prevention in other areas as to what could have been done, signs perhaps of mental instability, depression, prior intent.. ways to better spot someone that might commit such acts.. rather than just jumping to guns and on the typical gun control / gun ban solves our problems gimmick.

Ridiculous, huh. There's no need for handguns and automatic weapons unless you're in law enforcement or going to war. America's gun control and the violence they cause got out of control long ago. Obviously the key is to prevent these issues in the first place; don't wait for disaster to strike and things to get out of hand. It's going to be a monumental hill to climb to fix the problem, if it even is a fixable problem. I'm not an expert on the issue but it seems like every time there is a massacre of innocent people in America, the story is in the headlines for a few days, tears are shed, hugs are given, politicians talk about it briefly and that's it --- back under the rug the gun issue goes and ultimately nobody does anything about it.

maybe it time for the US constitution to be amend and redefine the right to a weapon..........yes it would be very complicated and hard but I think we know this is possible......both congress and senate need to agree plus majority of the state........but it should not be the only thing........registration don't work..........

the real question is why the mother have 5 weapons.........they should be kept under lock and key away from the shooter or hidden....did the mom try to send him somewhere for help?

The White House announced on Saturday that President Obama would travel to Newtown, CT Sunday and meet with the families of the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary school shootings along with first responders.

The detestable Westboro Baptist Church has announced via Twitter it will be on site to picket as they have at funerals for Armed Services personnel in the past.

Westboro Baptist Church announced via Twitter that they will travel to Newtown, Connecticut to picket the site of the Sandy Hook elementary school massacre.

Westboro’s announcement, made by Margie Phelps and Shirley Phelps-Roper, adds that the church will “sing praise to God for the glory of his work in executing his judgement.”

The announcement by the controversial church from Topeka, Kansas comes less than one day after 27 people were killed in a mass murder perpetuated by suspected shooter Adam Lanza. Twenty children lost their lives in the massacre.

The tweets put out by Sandy and Margie were met with several outcries. One user, @GoGetMyCoffee, responded by saying, “You are one of the most disgusting people on Earth,@DearShirley. I wish it was you and your hate group instead of those beautiful children.”

http://www.inquisitr...d-for-shooting/

Anonymous renewed its attacks on Westboro Baptist Church following the announcement of the intention to picket.

The hacking collective known as Anonymous renewed their war on the Westboro Baptist Church today. After the haters from the infamous church posted their intentions to picket the funerals of the twenty children killed in the shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School, Anonymous responded by re-posting the personal and professional information for members of the church on the Internet. Now the general public can contact the church members directly and tell them what they think about people who would desecrate the funerals of murdered children.

Westboro Baptist Church has been irritating Americans for years with venom filled message about their demented version of God. According to the many closely related and intermarried members of the Phelps family who make up the majority of the congregation of the so-called church, God enjoys killing children and soldiers. They constantly proclaim God hates homosexuals and plans to destroy America for not following the Westboro Baptist Church’s twisted version of Christianity. The incredible obsession with homosexuality expressed by Fred and family seems to many as a sure fire case of “thou dost protest too much.”

Anonymous has been after the Westboro Baptist Church for several months now, hacking their websites repeatedly. Recently, they accused the church of creating a fake letter from the hacking group in order to trick other hackers into attacking the website. Anonymous warned their supporters the church planned to harvest internet addresses and sue people. Suing people is apparently the primary activity of the Westboro Baptist Church when they aren’t screaming hate at funerals.

Of course, Westboro denied the charges and taunted Anonymous as incompetent hackers. They claimed their website was protected by God. Big mistake. A few days later, while a Westboro spokeswoman was boasting about how the church foiled Anonymous on a radio talk show, an Anonymous spokesman called in and hacked the church’s website in real time on the air.

Hopefully saner heads will prevail and nothing terrible will occur if the Westboro Baptist Church shows up in Newtown, Connecticut. The State Police made the extraordinary decision to assign a trooper to each of the victim’s families to prevent unwelcome idiots from tormenting them and to protect their privacy.

It is hard to imagine what kind of person would attend the funerals for these children and promote the hate filled message of the Phelps family and their followers. While we certainly do not condone illegal activity, it is hard not to root for Anonymous as they take it to these sad, pathetic excuses for human beings from the Westboro Baptist Church. If the Church’s website is offline forever, it wouldn’t be a moment too soon for most Americans.

http://www.inquisitr...F68BsYIBbsLM.99

The Westboro Baptist Church clams that the shootings are God's punishment for the state of Connecticut legalizing same sex marriage.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/westboro-baptists-threaten-picket-sandy-hook-shooting-site161212

And another far right anti-gay nutbar, American Family Association's Bryan Fischer says legalizing gay marriage is proof of 'sacrificing the well-being of children'.

A far right-wing anti-gay pundit has said 20 young schoolchildren died because God is ‘no longer welcome’ in the classroom.

Referring to the tragic event in Connecticut on Friday (14 December), American Family Association spokesman Bryan Fischer said it could have been prevented if a prayer for ‘Christian values’ started each school day.

Speaking on his radio show Focal Point, Fischer said: ‘You know the question is going to come up, “where was God? I thought God cared about the little children. Where was God when all this went down?”

‘Here’s the bottom line: God is not going to go where he’s not wanted.’

He said for 50 years ‘liberals’ have been telling ‘God to get lost’ and ‘out of our public school system’.

‘I think God would say to us, “Hey, I’ll be glad to protect your children but you got to invite me back into your world first. I’m not going to go where I’m not wanted. I am a gentleman”,’ Fischer said.

‘Back when we had prayer, the Bible and the Ten Commandments in schools, we did not need guns.’

Fellow right-wing pundit Mike Huckabee agreed, asking on Fox News whether it is a ‘surprise’ when carnage in schools happens when you do not arm children with ‘God’s words’.

On Twitter today (15 December), Fischer compared the incident with gay marriage, as Connecticut is one of nine states to legalize equality for same-sex couples.

‘To say the state should not define marriage is to sacrifice the well-being of children. Can't let that happen w/o a fight,’ he said.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/anti-gay-pundit-says-connecticut-shooting-school-%E2%80%98did-not-embrace-god%E2%80%99151212

Of course, Westboro denied the charges and taunted Anonymous as incompetent hackers. They claimed their website was protected by God. Big mistake. A few days later, while a Westboro spokeswoman was boasting about how the church foiled Anonymous on a radio talk show, an Anonymous spokesman called in and hacked the church’s website in real time on the

Those morons should be thrown in jail for public or disorderly disturbance or something if their back woods red neck map reading skills and Partridge family bus gets them there.

When it comes to children, zero tolerance to hatred directed toward them. The Westboro Bastard Cult people are really pushing all boundaries with their hate crimes. And yes, that's what I consider them. There is no room on this Earth for creatures of their hate mongering kind.

According to the US Supreme Court there is a constitutional right to have a handgun for lawful purposes, that includes self defence.

The total ban on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of arms that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense. This prohibition would fail constitutional muster under any standard of scrutiny. Similarly, the requirement that any lawful firearm in the home be disassembled or bound by a trigger lock makes it impossible for citizens to use arms for the core lawful purpose of self-defense and is therefore unconstitutional.

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Archived