The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] This is what Luongo means to some fans

cmpunk

I hope this lady will receive the best news possible and have a speedy recovery.

Luongo is the John Cena of Vancouver minus the Championships.

You either love him or hate him. One side boos the other side Luooooos.

If the Canucks trade him, I will guarantee you this board will be filled with lament sometime this season. If you all think the Cody Hodson trade was scrutinized. Luongo's gonna blow it out the window on this board.

One thing in my mind is that, unlike most players who

would sulk and whine about the situation, Luo shut up and played as determined as he ever was.

I think he be as good as ever.

When I look at Luongo I am reminded what William Beaman said on Any Given Sunday.

"And with the time I got left, I'm going to play my way. Get my dollars up. So when you go to waive me, trade, injured reserve me, or whatever y'all do, I'll be worth ten times what I was worth before I got here."

http://en.wikiquote....ny_Given_Sunday

Like him or not, he is the greatest canucks goaltender of all time. There is nobody even close to the stats and records he holds. 72 saves in his first playoff game for example. The guy has done more for this franchise than any of the so called canucks legends combined. That is not to excuse his mental lapses, and there have been some very frustrating and untimely ones, but overall the greatest canucks goaltender in history bar none. That's the truth like it or not.

I have never liked a celebrity or athlete as much as I do Luongo. I can't pinpoint a time when it started, but even since his days in Florida he was quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite players, and all this hate towards him and his scrutiny these last couple of years have propelled him into the #1 spot for my all-time favorite ATHLETE.

I don't have anything heart-warming or anything that should be talked about like the story in the OP, but I will say that the one thing I have in common with Luongo is that like he, I have been scrutinized basically my entire life, and have always been told I wasn't good enough by friends, teachers, even my parents at times. So like the woman in the OP, I look to Luongo for motivation.

Hell where I live, if you're a Luongo fan you basically have a target on your back. Every single time I wear my Luongo jersey out in public I get some A-Hole making comments about either me or him. After the 2011 Finals I wore my Luongo jersey out to a grocery store the next day, and the deli worker, I kid you not, threw a piece of salami at me and said, "Take that talentless bums jersey off, you ass!" that's not the only case of something being said to me when I wear it, but each time I just smile at them arrogantly(think Tim Thomas in the Finals) and walk on with my day.

Archived