The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rinaldo vs Crombeen

RIP Ripper

Great spirited discussion! Not unlike a good ol' fashioned hockey fight! :)

I chuckle at the suggestion that there are no rules in hockey fighting. The league has instituted an extra penalty for a player starting a fight with a visor on, there has been huge discussion over instigator and aggressor penalties Hair pulling,head butting and kicking are all match penalties or gross misconducts. I don't see why there can't be, at the discretion of the referee, an extra penalty or supplemental discipline when a player takes advantage of another in a vulnerable position. Didn't see Vinny's fight, can't comment on that.

There was nothing illegal about what Rinaldo did, but I believe that most "enforcers" would consider the last shot unnecessary.

The NHL has slowly started to let the MMA mentality pervade hockey scraps. Nowadays you have guys like Rinaldo and Tootoo who go into fights sans rules. Meanwhile the true heavyweights like George Parros, know when they've landed the punch that has hurt his opponent and immediately let up.

Some of you might remember a few years ago when big George got into a scrap with Darcy Hordichuck. Hordi took a punch and lost his balance. Instead of finishing the job, Parros allowed Darcy to get his balance back before continuing.

This is what "the code" is all about. It's about guys like Laraque wishing his opponent "good luck" before a fight. Not about knocking a guy out and threatening his future hockey career.

Legal, but "against the code" IMHO...

There are dozens of instances where, as one of the fighters is going down, the other guy keeps throwing. I can't name every one of them, but I distinctly remember Iggy even doing it a couple of times. Adrenalin is coursing through your veins, you're excited, scared, angry all wrapped into one and time is flying. This instance, in my estimation, looks to be unintended. Even the last "blow" looks glancing, almost like he threw the shot and mid punch tried to miss. But, I could be wrong.

There have been plenty of instances where it's obvious that a guy was not only down, but hurt, and the guy keeps throwing. That is completely against the code. This one looks borderline at best. And Crumbum isn't exactly squeaky clean. He is known for being a shirt disturber, and therefor needs to get tuned from time to time.

It was, Rinaldo is a first class puke but i have no problem with fighting except the last punch by him. Friggin gutless shot on a guy who was knocked out and Rinaldo knew it. Sounds like the tweets from a lot of players to Ward and Bob Mac last night thought it broke the code between tough guys and most of then thought it was pretty cheap and gutless.

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I'd point out that during the Buffalo-Pittsburgh game today, (great game, BTW) there was another case of a player who follows the code.

Early in the third, Cody McCormick and Tanner Glass dropped the gloves. Before much in the way of punches were thrown, Glass ended up with his sweater over his head. Instead of pummeling the helpless Glass, McCormick held up, waiting until Glass had pulled his sweater back down before continuing the scrap.

Rinaldo might want to watch a clip of this scrap, just to see how a player deserving of respect comports himself.

Rinaldo didn't do anything wrong. He had the option of doing the nice thing and let Crombeen off the hook, but he didn't. He wasn't obligated to stop punching. Some players choose to be a little more respectful than others, in part because it will provide them with respect in return.

Watch McCormick fight Tanner Glass in today's game between Buffalo and the Pens. Glass had his sweater over his head, McCormick let up. Class move, but not one he was required to make.

I agree that when you target a superstar your should pay the price. The NHL seems to be geared toward making it easy to get away with these days so if you can sneak an extra punch or two in borderline then good.

Now, if the guy is knocked out or clearly not with it, I'm not sure how deserving it is as you can really hurt some one doing that.

Archived