The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory Schneider interview in the Province

Gonz

I think both side have carefully thought out the politically correct way of talking to the media about this. Gillis doesn't want to be the GM who asks a long term contract player to waive his NTC and Luongo doesn't want to be like Heatley and be under contract and ask for a trade. Who knows what was going on behind closed doors but anything could have been said by either party.

As I said before and will continue to keep saying. The fans here are divided and this will never change.

One thing is for sure, if Lu did ask for a trade, then he would not be here and would have been traded to any team the Canucks wanted. Why, because asking for a trade is in breach of contract and there for Lu would have no say. It is clear that the Canucks (MG) asked him and because of that Lu has the say on where he wants to go. How can anyone say otherwise?

As I said before and will continue to keep saying. The fans here are divided and this will never change.

One thing is for sure, if Lu did ask for a trade, then he would not be here and would have been traded to any team the Canucks wanted. Why, because asking for a trade is in breach of contract and there for Lu would have no say. It is clear that the Canucks (MG) asked him and because of that Lu has the say on where he wants to go. How can anyone say otherwise?

So you are saying that if a closed door meeting happened with Gillis and Luongo and Lui asks for a trade, Gillis is going to come out and proclaim a breach of contract and flog him as fast as he can? Not going to happen... remember Dany Heatley? Canucks are not about to go through some long legal process to prove a breach of contract when every team in the NHL wouldn't mind having a goalie like Lui on the team.

Having said that i don't think Lui asked for a trade either.

I do not know how to go back through Team 1040 broadcasts and post them here but Gillis clearly said (about 2 weeks ago) that Luongo had asked him to find a good place for him to go to (paraphrase).

What difference does it make whether anyone can prove if Luongo specifically said the words "trade me"?

Teams and players are generally specific about who wants a trade. If Luo asked for a trade, I find it hard to believe neither he nor Gillis would have come out and just said that. Gillis is diplomatic, but he's not known to beat around the bush when there's no reason to not just say the truth. People are already accusing Luo of wanting out, and frankly he couldn't be more demonized than the fans and media here have done, so there's no reason for either of them to avoid saying it if it were true.

It just seems the people who want to blame Luo for supposedly demanding a trade (for what reason I'm unclear, as these people often want Luo to leave...) use every quote they can find about trading Luo as supposed proof that he asked for a trade without considering alternative meanings for their own evidence.

Yours is a perfect example. I don't doubt Luo said something to the effect of "find me somewhere good." He has a NTC and earned the right to have a say in what team he ends up on. He's a team guy and is willing to move on if that's what the team feels is best for them, but that doesn't mean he's willing to end up in Columbus just to make the Canucks happy. Gillis referencing Luo saying that doesn't seem to indicate he asked for a trade to me as there would be no reason for Gillis to not just say, "Luo asked for a trade to a good team." Rather, it's seems far more likely that Gillis was explaining why it's taking so long to find a suitable trade partner. Very likely, the team talked to Luo about wanting to secure Schneider for the long-term good of the team and asked if he would be willing to waive his NTC and he replied with something along the lines of, "yes, I'll agree to waive my NTC if that's what the team wants but only if you find me some place good."

Seriously, it's not the Da Vinci Code. I really don't think they're talking to us in some super secret code only some has deciphered. If Luo asked for a trade, they'd come out and say it. But either way, it really doesn't matter. As much as I love the idea of having 2 starter goalies in a constant battle for ice time I don't think it's going to happen in the long-term. So let's just enjoy the goalie off while we have it. :)

Teams and players are generally specific about who wants a trade. If Luo asked for a trade, I find it hard to believe neither he nor Gillis would have come out and just said that. Gillis is diplomatic, but he's not known to beat around the bush when there's no reason to not just say the truth. People are already accusing Luo of wanting out, and frankly he couldn't be more demonized than the fans and media here have done, so there's no reason for either of them to avoid saying it if it were true.

It just seems the people who want to blame Luo for supposedly demanding a trade (for what reason I'm unclear, as these people often want Luo to leave...) use every quote they can find about trading Luo as supposed proof that he asked for a trade without considering alternative meanings for their own evidence.

Yours is a perfect example. I don't doubt Luo said something to the effect of "find me somewhere good." He has a NTC and earned the right to have a say in what team he ends up on. He's a team guy and is willing to move on if that's what the team feels is best for them, but that doesn't mean he's willing to end up in Columbus just to make the Canucks happy. Gillis referencing Luo saying that doesn't seem to indicate he asked for a trade to me as there would be no reason for Gillis to not just say, "Luo asked for a trade to a good team." Rather, it's seems far more likely that Gillis was explaining why it's taking so long to find a suitable trade partner. Very likely, the team talked to Luo about wanting to secure Schneider for the long-term good of the team and asked if he would be willing to waive his NTC and he replied with something along the lines of, "yes, I'll agree to waive my NTC if that's what the team wants but only if you find me some place good."

Seriously, it's not the Da Vinci Code. I really don't think they're talking to us in some super secret code only some has deciphered. If Luo asked for a trade, they'd come out and say it. But either way, it really doesn't matter. As much as I love the idea of having 2 starter goalies in a constant battle for ice time I don't think it's going to happen in the long-term. So let's just enjoy the goalie off while we have it. :)

So you are saying that if a closed door meeting happened with Gillis and Luongo and Lui asks for a trade, Gillis is going to come out and proclaim a breach of contract and flog him as fast as he can? Not going to happen... remember Dany Heatley? Canucks are not about to go through some long legal process to prove a breach of contract when every team in the NHL wouldn't mind having a goalie like Lui on the team.

Having said that i don't think Lui asked for a trade either.

Archived