The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking to buy new skates: Bauer Supreme One7 or Graf Supra 605

HockeyNut30

Hey everyone, I'm hoping to get some opinions on new skates (intermediate pricing). I tried on both these skates today and they both fit very well (I have a narrow foot). The Bauer is a 2010 model for $180 marked down from $320 while the Graf is last year and is $220 from $400.

If you've skated with Graf's how did you find adjusting to the built in tilt that pushes you forward? Also, Graf claims they have the best after-baking fit, how was the before versus after fit?

The Bauer, meanwhile, has a lot of the features of the one80s but for a bit cheaper. The fit was very snug right out of the box.

Any suggestions? Or other skates to check out? My max is $250.

I'd recommend ignoring all of the marketing, branding, price tags, etc. and just go by which pair feels the most comfortable. Because, really, when you're skating it all comes down to comfort. The most expensive skates in the world just might not feel very good for your feet.

I bought new skates over Christmas. I went into the store (Kirby's in Victoria) prepared to spend $500, and tried on a lot of Bauers, Reeboks, and CCMs. Even though the Bauers and Reeboks are "trendier", I ended up getting a pair of CCMs for $300 because they felt by far the best for me (I have wide feet).

What he said ^

Comfort is key. If they aren't comfortable or your feet hurt, it doesn't matter how good you are because you'll never play up to your ability. I had skate and feet issues back in the day. I either need to visit the Good Feet store or get custom built skates because nothing has worked for me over the past few years.

I switched up from Bauer's to Grafs about 3 or 4 years ago now, my experience with the Graf's were they were quite the adjustment to work in/get used to. Much harder then Bauer. On that note though, I love the Grafs I'm not sure I would ever switch back, they seem to me much sturdier. This is just my personal opinion, things may vary for you.

Hopefully this information helps you in the decision.

Not as simple as saying Brand A is better than Brand B. Each model of each brand will provide something different. It's also not as simple as going with the most comfortable one either. Unfortunately until the skates break in, which can take months, you won't know the true fit. In fact, some skates that start off feeling too tight and uncomfortable are the proper fit. The first two times I wore my latest skates my feet got cut up fairly badly. This was, however, the proper fit, and now the skates fit better and better with every use.

Different brands fit your feet differently. For example, Reebok skates fit quite wide, and easton fits narrower.

What skates are you wearing right now? Each brand has its own unique fit to it, and changing brands adds to the difficulty of getting used to them. I used Bauer my entire minor hockey career, because it was what I was used to and liked best. Fit is everything.

Archived