The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vimy Ridge Day

Wetcoaster

Today we are remembering one of the major signposts on the way to Canadian nationhood with the 96th anniversary of the attack on Vimy Ridge which took place during WWI on April 9 -12, 1917.

A message from Governor General David Johnston:

Since 2003, Canadians have gathered on April 9 to commemorate the heroic actions and tragic losses of the Canadian Corps during the Battle of Vimy Ridge.

Vimy Ridge Day is an opportunity for us to reflect on the great sacrifices Canadian soldiers made during the four-day battle—and throughout the entire First World War—in the service of their country. It is also an occasion for us to celebrate the rich heritage of the Canadian Forces, and the valiant efforts of our men and women in uniform to keep our country safe and free, then as today. We owe them our thanks and our remembrance, lest we forget.

Some 96 years ago, after four bloody days of combat, the four divisions of the Canadian Corps seized Vimy Ridge. On that day, 3 500 Canadians died. By nightfall on April 12, the battle was over. None today remain who fought this battle to tell us of their deeds. They have gone, and it is now our duty to remember on their behalf.

Let us honour those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom and justice.

OTTAWA, April 9, 2013 /CNW/ - On behalf of the Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Minister for La Francophonie, the Honourable Gordon O'Connor, Minister of State and Chief Government Whip, was joined by His Excellency Philippe Zeller, Ambassador of France to Canada at a wreath-laying ceremony held at the National War Memorial to mark the 96th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge. Veterans, youth, and members of the Canadian Armed Forces were also in attendance.

"The Battle of Vimy Ridge was a distinctively Canadian triumph and it represents Canada's courage, strength, and coming of age as a nation" said Minister Blaney. "Today, we remember and honour the sacrifices of those who servedCanada 96 years ago."

April 9 has been designated by Parliament as Vimy Ridge Day in Canada. During this year's annual wreath-laying ceremony, youth from the Encounters with Canada program, the Army Cadets and the War Amps Operation Legacy, and representatives of Veterans' organizations laid poppies on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

"It is truly inspiring to see young Canadians so deeply engaged in remembering those who defended our values of peace, freedom, and democracy" said Minister O'Connor. "These youth play a crucial role in ensuring that the legacy of Canada's service men and women will be passed on to future generations."

It was 96 years ago on Easter Monday, in 1917, that the four divisions of the Canadian Corps fought side-by-side for the first time and captured Vimy Ridge. By the fourth day, April 12, Canadians controlled the entire ridge. The victory at Vimy was not without a price. There were more than 10,600 casualties—of those, approximately 3,600 sacrificed their lives.

For more information on Canada's contribution to the Battle of Vimy Ridge during the First World War, visit the Veterans Affairs Canada website at

veterans.gc.ca.

2013 is the Year of the Korean War Veteran—Canada proudly remembers the heroes of the Korean War and their brave fight to uphold freedom, democracy and the rule of law.

Image with caption: "On behalf of the Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Minister for La Francophonie, the Honourable Gordon O'Connor, Minister of State and Chief Government Whip lays a wreath at the National War Memorial to commemorate the 96th Anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge. (CNW Group/Veterans Affairs Canada)". Image available at:http://photos.newswire.ca/images/download/20130409_C3725_PHOTO_EN_25348.jpg

SOURCE: Veterans Affairs Canada

I've been to Vimy Ridge.. It's a sight for sore eyes for Canadians... The land is so deformed that it's nothing but just a big open field of bumps. Lots of craters, some of them huge, due to the amount of bombing and underground mines that exploded during the time. There are even signs there that say that they should stay out of certain areas because some mines haven't even exploded yet!

I've been to Vimmy Ridge also.. it makes quite an impression. My grandfather served in WWI and my dad served in the first Gulf War and was in the military for almost 30 years. Like the guy above said, Remembrance Day is probably the only holiday that I really take seriously...

I've been to Vimmy Ridge also.. it makes quite an impression. My grandfather served in WWI and my dad served in the first Gulf War and was in the military for almost 30 years. Like the guy above said, Remembrance Day is probably the only holiday that I really take seriously...

Archived