The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official NHL 14 Thread

Please Call 911

Ooookay so no responses yet to my question. I'll be patient. I see a lot of people saying they're getting bored with this game but I only picked it up in March so I'm still having a good time. Problem is goaltending. I've never seriously attempted to get legitimately good at it in previous NHL games (had '10 and '13) but it's a lot of fun this year. I am nearly Legend 1 now with goalie, I went with hybrid style 71 overall ATM. Trouble is the cheese goals. I've gotten to a point now where I've got my angles set pretty well, and rarely overcorrect (the bane of rookie goalies everywhere) but on club I still let in 3-5 on average. Beyond frustrating. I'll play some drop in games and do well, had 4 straight 1 goal games night before last. My club team is decent but not great, but I can't seem to string together solid games and we all end up frustrated after a couple games, so I end up coming out. Cross creasers are still devastating, and it doesn't seem to be all that defendable, regardless of how high my guys rating gets. I can't remember the numbers completely but for reactions I'm 82 in each (5-Hole to Blocker Low) and I believe my speed, agility, and vision are all juiced as high as I can. What I'm looking for is some tips, and as I said above, someone or a link to someone who has actual tested the goalie attributes so I can make sure I'm putting my points in all the right places. Thanks.

Ooookay so no responses yet to my question. I'll be patient. I see a lot of people saying they're getting bored with this game but I only picked it up in March so I'm still having a good time. Problem is goaltending. I've never seriously attempted to get legitimately good at it in previous NHL games (had '10 and '13) but it's a lot of fun this year. I am nearly Legend 1 now with goalie, I went with hybrid style 71 overall ATM. Trouble is the cheese goals. I've gotten to a point now where I've got my angles set pretty well, and rarely overcorrect (the bane of rookie goalies everywhere) but on club I still let in 3-5 on average. Beyond frustrating. I'll play some drop in games and do well, had 4 straight 1 goal games night before last. My club team is decent but not great, but I can't seem to string together solid games and we all end up frustrated after a couple games, so I end up coming out. Cross creasers are still devastating, and it doesn't seem to be all that defendable, regardless of how high my guys rating gets. I can't remember the numbers completely but for reactions I'm 82 in each (5-Hole to Blocker Low) and I believe my speed, agility, and vision are all juiced as high as I can. What I'm looking for is some tips, and as I said above, someone or a link to someone who has actual tested the goalie attributes so I can make sure I'm putting my points in all the right places. Thanks.

Ea doesn't tell you what the goalie attributes do (only player attributes) so it's a crapshoot. All I know is passing and poke check are useless. But you're probably gonna let in more goals in club just because teams are better. Only thing I can recommend is to make your goalie 6'9 (there's a reason Ben Bishop is the best goalie in HUT) and work on your reaction time for the cross creasers. It can be tough especially with crappy defence, so you're gonna have to anticipate it a lot earlier.

Ea doesn't tell you what the goalie attributes do (only player attributes) so it's a crapshoot. All I know is passing and poke check are useless. But you're probably gonna let in more goals in club just because teams are better. Only thing I can recommend is to make your goalie 6'9 (there's a reason Ben Bishop is the best goalie in HUT) and work on your reaction time for the cross creasers. It can be tough especially with crappy defence, so you're gonna have to anticipate it a lot earlier.

Yeah I just did some reading up on NHL guides and it was somewhat helpful. On the other hand I already had my guy set up pretty close to what they recommend. I'll try that, boosting my guys height. Will that affect my speed or agility at all?

Goaltending can be pretty rewarding. It's a blast shutting guys down, but it def is frustrating at times. It's unfortunate that the only way to open boosts is by playing club or Live the life modes, when that's not the case for a lot of the player boosts. Gotta love EA logic.

Thanks for the advice. I'll stick with it.

I wouldnt make your goalie big that only works offline. I believe that cap is at 6'5. I tried making a huge goalie and you end up like swiss cheese, shots will go right thru you. People also say dont bother with endurance but I find it makes a difference. Vision also effects your ability to read one timer s allowing a higher chance to make the save.

How about weight wise? Does that make any difference? And I noticed regardless of what build I choose agility and speed all seem to cost quite a bit...which is the better choice?

I always have my goalie at like 280 pounds. I don't think it matters though. For agility and speed I try to keep them equal.

Does anyone here know how Elias Lindholm develops? Carolina's 7th overall last year?

Looking to prepare for my nhl 15 be a GM mode. Just curious how he pans out in nhl 14. Curious his overall and some his stats if someone has a be a gm mode like 5 years into the future or something. I'm contemplating grabbing him and converting him to a winger. Ive heard comparisons similar to that of Forsberg (not that i expect him to reach that). Please let me know :D a screenshot be great if you have the time but no biggy if not :D. Stats are good too ;D

pretty please.

My goalie is 6'9 and it works for me. I never have to move all that much since my goalie has such a long reach. He's a butterfly though so maybe that does something

But hes 6'5 when you play. When you edit your goalie hit start to enter practice mode and you see how huge he is. You dont even need to move lol how cheap is that. Now play a game and you'll notice he's smaller. Unless they patched something its the same as last year. I could be wrong though.

Not sure if it's been posted yet, I didn't feel like browsing through 80 pages, but does anybody have a link showing what the attributes ACTUALLY do for goaltenders? Came across some from NHL 13, and only seems like players for 14. Thanks.

Goaltending is pretty much the same as last year

In the first category of attributes pump up your glove/blocker/5hole. pokechecking and angles are pointless

In the second category pump up rebound control and shot recovery. If you have a low card at goalie put a bit more into shot recovery, if you have a higher card bump up rebound control.

The third category is where you can really ruin your goalie. IMO the most important attribute here is vision so crank that up pretty high. After that all you're really left with is speed and agility. Don't put your agility up over 75 or 80 because it makes your goalie flop like a fish and do all sorts of desperation saves at bad times. The rest of your points should be put into speed and anything left over I put into aggressiveness.

But hes 6'5 when you play. When you edit your goalie hit start to enter practice mode and you see how huge he is. You dont even need to move lol how cheap is that. Now play a game and you'll notice he's smaller. Unless they patched something its the same as last year. I could be wrong though.

Not as cheap as high slot cheese shots and cross creases through Defencemen legs.

How is he 6'5? When I go in drop in or EASHL I can see my goalie stats on the loading screen and it clearly says 6'9

Goalies are slightly bent at the knees and have shorter skates so maybe that's what makes him look 6'5?

Wow he's a moose lol. Also...anticipation stick..better to use actually to anticipate? Or as a reaction to the shot?

Also, the L1 (ps3) for precision control...I haven't tried this too much yet. I feel like it would be a hindrance, thoughts?

I use L1 when playing really good teams who cycle the puck like crazy, I find if I don't, I end up flopping around too much like MAF. And with my big body I don't need to move much

-Limit the size of human goalies in OTP/EASHL games to 64" (NOTE: it will still allow them to be set larger, but the actual height in game will not go above the new limit).

On my phone but thay was a patch note from a previous game. Pretty sure its still the same. I know this because I use a 6'9 goalie offline to unlock boosts and I can sit in butterfly and not get scored on. But if I forget to change my goalie in otp I get lit up like a xmas tree.

-Limit the size of human goalies in OTP/EASHL games to 64" (NOTE: it will still allow them to be set larger, but the actual height in game will not go above the new limit).

On my phone but thay was a patch note from a previous game. Pretty sure its still the same.

Wow that's BS then. I'd have a much higher sv% than .800 if I could make him 6'9

But whatever, I'm only a part time goalie anyway

Wow that's BS then. I'd have a much higher sv% than .800 if I could make him 6'9

But whatever, I'm only a part time goalie anyway

and every scrub that thinks they are a goalie would play 6'9 and sit in butterfly on the goal line while jamming the RS left and right like last year

and every scrub that thinks they are a goalie would play 6'9 and sit in butterfly on the goal line while jamming the RS left and right like last year

Yea no I don't do that. You can snipe on goalies now if you're on the line. I play right at the top of the crease. Obviously back up if it's a breakaway or cross crease.

But it's simple logic. The bigger you are, the less there is to shoot at, so you will allow less goals and win more games. I don't know why anyone would make there goalie smaller.

I have no problem with goalies who sit on the line though. If it works for them then more power to them. The fact is if EA is going to allow 70 overall players to snipe it bar down, goalies are gonna have to adapt even if it means being cheap.

Archived