The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

OK this has been bugging me for a long time. My left shoulder seems really tight when I work out. It sucks because I'm trying reach 8-10 reps but it stops me short of that. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm guessing it stops you when you bench?

How much back work do you do, and do you press a barbell overhead?

Creatine is not taken for the same reason you take Whey Protein.

Whey Protein is meant to be used as the building blocks of muscle. So basically repair, recovery, and maintenance.

Creatine increases ATP levels in your muscle cells, giving each muscle cell more energy. I've tried Creatine once, and yes it does work. You can lift heavier and for more reps. You also retain more water, so you look bigger. The problem is that you can only use it for relatively short cylces (or your body simply adapts). Once you come off it, you lose a lot of the gains you made before. It can also be damaging to your kidneys/liver if over used.

The good news is the losses aren't permanent though, you might be a little smaller and have a little less energy in the gym but you can easily regain it once you start using again. You would only lose water weight, no actual muscle.

OK this has been bugging me for a long time. My left shoulder seems really tight when I work out. It sucks because I'm trying reach 8-10 reps but it stops me short of that. Has anyone else had this problem?

do you warm up properly? Do you warm up your rotator cuff?

I'm guessing it stops you when you bench?

How much back work do you do, and do you press a barbell overhead?

I feel like it does affect my bench. Thing is I never really out in a gym before until 2 days ago. I just used to workout at home and put on some good mass but my shoulder seems to f up alot. I don't press a barbell overhead.

do you warm up properly? Do you warm up your rotator cuff?

I do warm up but probably not as much as I should.

I feel like it does affect my bench. Thing is I never really out in a gym before until 2 days ago. I just used to workout at home and put on some good mass but my shoulder seems to f up alot. I don't press a barbell overhead.

is your form good? Some people get shoulder problems when they bench because they flare their elbows out when they should be tucked in to some extent

Howbdo you guys only have 3 or four glasses of milk a day? I have 5 minimum but most of the time 6-7

I don't know man don't you get tired of the taste? I drink whole milk right now so that is why it is only 3-4 glasses plus it is heavy.

I like to add chocolate syrup though for a different taste. Plain milk is not my thing. Chocolate milk I can drink maybe 5-6 glasses.

When you are drinking that much though it has to be low fat. For me pretty much it doesn't matter yet.

Press a barbell overhead. It strengthens the deltoids so that the pecs don't pull the shoulders forward too much. I'd also add lots of back work (pulling exercises) to help straighten out any imbalances.

Howbdo you guys only have 3 or four glasses of milk a day? I have 5 minimum but most of the time 6-7

I don't know man don't you get tired of the taste? I drink whole milk right now so that is why it is only 3-4 glasses plus it is heavy.

I like to add chocolate syrup though for a different taste. Plain milk is not my thing. Chocolate milk I can drink maybe 5-6 glasses.

When you are drinking that much though it has to be low fat. For me pretty much it doesn't matter yet.

why are you all drinking milk again?? the protein? the calcium? can't you get that elsewhere?

Only 4 sets on biceps crew checking in

I hate doing arm work. I do 1 'accessory' exercise each for biceps and triceps for 5-7 sets and call it good enough. I train for strength and am going to compete in powerlifting, so the only reason I do any extra arm work is to stave of DYELitis and to keep the elbows happy. Never understood the point of doing doing 3+ bicep exercises when regular 'ole curls hit them the best.

I hate doing arm work. I do 1 'accessory' exercise each for biceps and triceps for 5-7 sets and call it good enough. I train for strength and am going to compete in powerlifting, so the only reason I do any extra arm work is to stave of DYELitis and to keep the elbows happy. Never understood the point of doing doing 3+ bicep exercises when regular 'ole curls hit them the best.

When you are bodybuilding, IE training for size, you need to get lots of reps in. Strength training is all about low reps and high strength. "Size training" requires a lot of reps at medium to high weight.

For pure strength, you're going to need to get some sets of 5 or less reps in. For size, you want sets of 10-15+ reps. As a powerlifter, your focus is going to be on strength. Most powerlifters, unless they are strongmen or super-heavy weights, will have to put a lot of effort into keeping their weight down.

Looking to lose weight around my belly and tone my upper body. Any good routines? Right now I'm doing cardio on the bike intervals for 25-30 min 4-5 days per week. Then weights. Sit-ups. Should I stagger doing cardio one day and weights the next? Or just go all out.

Edited by Mr.Habitat

Looking to lose weight around my belly and tone my upper body. Any good routines? Right now I'm doing cardio on the bike intervals for 25-30 min 4-5 days per week. Then weights.

I tried P90X and lost 11 pounds by accident, without losing much muscle.. Could help you out

Looking to lose weight around my belly and tone my upper body. Any good routines? Right now I'm doing cardio on the bike intervals for 25-30 min 4-5 days per week. Then weights. Sit-ups. Should I stagger doing cardio one day and weights the next? Or just go all out.

I do cardio and weights on the same day because thats been the most effective for myself. Everyone is different, the big debate is to whether do an all body workout or do different muscle groups per workout. In my opinion, all body workouts are the most effective for myself because I can handle it whereas others cannot. It all depends on how comfortable you really are. As for situps, they are a waste because all they do is build muscle and doesn't reduce your fat, it just makes your stomach look bigger then what it actually is. What sort of weight exercises you are doing?

Edited by KeslersPlayoffBeard