The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Why above parallel?

This is what it looked like. Could have used a fraction of an inch more depth, maybe.

Cuz my back is still jacked, haven't went to physio yet and I can't NOT squat when doing my Legs/Back day. Feel like Deadlifts just aren't enough.

I guess I could do lunges...

I hate lunges.

Bulgarian split squats?

You sadistic bastard. Those are a great option, but I still think D3 would be better off following the Starr protocol for his back.

Anybody else find protein with water better tasting than with milk? I just find milk making it too sweet

Yes. I've also found that whey doesn't dissolve in milk as well in milk as it does in water.

You sadistic bastard. Those are a great option, but I still think D3 would be better off following the Starr protocol for his back.

Yes. I've also found that whey doesn't dissolve in milk as well in milk as it does in water.

Is it similar to Mark Rippetoe's rehab? (In fact, they may even be the same)

Basically where I would just start with the bar and crank out 2 sets of 50 reps on day 1, then go up from there doing massive amounts of light weights?

I just want to strengthen my lower back...I think years of obesity just killed my lower back as the gravity from my gut wanting to pull down put a lot of strain on it over time. I don't have a pelvic tilt, but my lower spine had more of a curve than I see on most people.

Looking to get rid of thunder thighs, any suggestions on workouts peeps?

Squats lots and lots of Squats. Dead lifts aren't bad either but if you're new then avoid them until you build some strength. If you want to isolate the thighs then mix in the machines as well.

Calves on the other hand are a bitch... I envy those guys that are basically twigs and have tree trunks for calves because of genetics.

Edited by drummer4now

Don't put whey with milk.

The ppurpose of whey right after/before a workout is the absorb in your intestines to provide protein for your recently worked muscles.

Whey is extremely effective because it is one of the fastest absorbing forms of protein.

Milk has casein protein, which dramatically slows the absorption of whey, making it less eeffective.

Squats lots and lots of Squats. Dead lifts aren't bad either but if you're new then avoid them until you build some strength. If you want to isolate the thighs then mix in the machines as well.

Calves on the other hand are a bitch... I envy those guys that are basically twigs and have tree trunks for calves because of genetics.

This was basically me. 125-135 pounds, skinny as could be, but great calves and thighs. I do credit soccer for some of it though, had never worked out though.

Stopped playing soccer for a few years, didnt workout legs, lost some of the muscle but its all come back in a few months. Love my leg genetics, but my chest genetics seem to be a bit slow. No longer that twig anymore though, but still a work in progress!

The ppurpose of whey right after/before a workout is the absorb in your intestines to provide protein for your recently worked muscles.

Whey is extremely effective because it is one of the fastest absorbing forms of protein.

Milk has casein protein, which dramatically slows the absorption of whey, making it less eeffective.

Meh, I put milk in it, however the bare minimum amount of milk I need for the protein to mix and be able to chug it down. Tastes great with milk, terrible with water.

Is it similar to Mark Rippetoe's rehab? (In fact, they may even be the same)

Basically where I would just start with the bar and crank out 2 sets of 50 reps on day 1, then go up from there doing massive amounts of light weights?

I just want to strengthen my lower back...I think years of obesity just killed my lower back as the gravity from my gut wanting to pull down put a lot of strain on it over time. I don't have a pelvic tilt, but my lower spine had more of a curve than I see on most people.

It's essentially the same thing. Start super light with sets of 25 and slowly add weight and reduce reps each week.

The thing with backs is that they don't get better with rest, they get better by being work. Unless you have pain radiating down one or both of your legs, you should be okay to squat. Squat to depth, start LIGHT, and progressively overload.

Also, given you history of back injury, be extremely strict on not allowing your lower back to lose extension under load.

Milk has casein protein, which dramatically slows the absorption of whey, making it less effective.

You are massively oversimplifying this. The tiny bit of casein protein in milk is not going to suddenly slow the absorption of whey by orders of magnitude. In addition milk has whey protein in it and more importantly, luecine, the amino acid that is the greatest trigger of muscle protein synthesis.

Do you also think the post workout 'anabolic window' is only 30 minutes?

Edited by Henrik Kesler

You are massively oversimplifying this. The tiny bit of casein protein in milk is not going to suddenly slow the absorption of whey by orders of magnitude. In addition milk has whey protein in it and more importantly, luecine, the amino acid that is the greatest trigger of muscle protein synthesis.

I was going to say this too, the body can process both casein and whey at the same time and the whey will get absorbed faster.... look at those sustained release powders they contain both....

Cuz my back is still jacked, haven't went to physio yet and I can't NOT squat when doing my Legs/Back day. Feel like Deadlifts just aren't enough.

I guess I could do lunges...

I hate lunges.

Those are what mine look like. Good enough if you ask me..

Any deeper and you might as well just sit on your ass.

It's essentially the same thing. Start super light with sets of 25 and slowly add weight and reduce reps each week.

The thing with backs is that they don't get better with rest, they get better by being work. Unless you have pain radiating down one or both of your legs, you should be okay to squat. Squat to depth, start LIGHT, and progressively overload.

Also, given you history of back injury, be extremely strict on not allowing your lower back to lose extension under load.

Right on, i'll give this a go. I think i'll start with 100 reps today with maybe only my 10's on the bar. I'll do 65LBs this week on each leg day, then bump the weight up to 95LBs and go down to 75 reps and so on.

I used to figure rest was the key, but it was only a couple weeks ago I was reading/watching a ton of Rippetoe stuff and realized I was going about it the wrong way.

There. Joined the 500lb club for deadlifts. 1 rep, 2 sets. Very hard but definitely doable. Nailed 455 x 6 so I figured why not go all out..

Atta Baby!

Those are what mine look like. Good enough if you ask me..

Any deeper and you might as well just sit on your ass.

I will aim for parallel with lighter weights, I am not flexible enough to do ATG, keep in mind i'm a former 270LB D-Lineman and my flexibility never increased even with 100LBs weight loss LOL.

BRB....Ephedrine kicking in.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I ended up recording my form on my last set of 25 of my 100 rep working set @ 65LBs.

I wanted to get the video when fatigue was setting in, even though the weight was really light, I was really feeling the burn and since my cardio is crap...I was feeling gassed.

I thought I muted the audio when I put the video in Sony Vegas, but I guess not...I guess you'll have to suffer through my breathing haha.

So, this was about as low as my flexibility will really take me, let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/nAe91dxidSw

Right on, i'll give this a go. I think i'll start with 100 reps today with maybe only my 10's on the bar. I'll do 65LBs this week on each leg day, then bump the weight up to 95LBs and go down to 75 reps and so on.

I used to figure rest was the key, but it was only a couple weeks ago I was reading/watching a ton of Rippetoe stuff and realized I was going about it the wrong way.

Atta Baby!

I will aim for parallel with lighter weights, I am not flexible enough to do ATG, keep in mind i'm a former 270LB D-Lineman and my flexibility never increased even with 100LBs weight loss LOL.

BRB....Ephedrine kicking in.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I was much proud of myself ::D

yeah, HK said atg is body builder stuff, or something, and said in our situation going parallel is fine. And that is fine with me because I was doing atg and I don't like it as much :lol: . Same with leg press. Lots of people think going real deep is better but I've heard and seen differently from guys bigger and stronger legs than mine

I ended up recording my form on my last set of 25 of my 100 rep working set @ 65LBs.

I wanted to get the video when fatigue was setting in, even though the weight was really light, I was really feeling the burn and since my cardio is crap...I was feeling gassed.

I thought I muted the audio when I put the video in Sony Vegas, but I guess not...I guess you'll have to suffer through my breathing haha.

So, this was about as low as my flexibility will really take me, let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/nAe91dxidSw

Those are pretty solid. I'd shove the knees out a touch more to tighten everything up at the bottom, but otherwise very nice.

Also, nice shoes. It's nice to see someone actually invest in proper footwear for squatting.

I was much proud of myself : :D

yeah, HK said atg is body builder stuff, or something, and said in our situation going parallel is fine. And that is fine with me because I was doing atg and I don't like it as much :lol: . Same with leg press. Lots of people think going real deep is better but I've heard and seen differently from guys bigger and stronger legs than mine

ATG is stupid, IMO. It's a way for lifters to have a superiority complex with no justification. Simply because their squatting style is harder. Yes, it may be, but harder does not always equal better, this case being a shining example.

In addition, to squat that deep, tension under the bar in sacrificed, specifically tension in the adductors and hamstrings which help anchor the back angle and provide the 'bounce' out of the bottom. Most ATG squatters I see bounce off their knee joints out of the hole instead of tensioned muscle mass. Which seems like the better long term plan to you?

Those are pretty solid. I'd shove the knees out a touch more to tighten everything up at the bottom, but otherwise very nice.

Also, nice shoes. It's nice to see someone actually invest in proper footwear for squatting.

ATG is stupid, IMO. It's a way for lifters to have a superiority complex with no justification. Simply because their squatting style is harder. Yes, it may be, but harder does not always equal better, this case being a shining example.

In addition, to squat that deep, tension under the bar in sacrificed, specifically tension in the adductors and hamstrings which help anchor the back angle and provide the 'bounce' out of the bottom. Most ATG squatters I see bounce off their knee joints out of the hole instead of tensioned muscle mass. Which seems like the better long term plan to you?

Yeah, what you just said, lol. I don't do it anymore because of what you said and the fact I just don't like it as much.

I love those shoes, got them for free, too!

Buddy of mine ordered them online, they didn't fit him, so instead of him sending them back he just gave them to me!

I'll never squat or do deads without them.