The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Anyone else get discomfort in their elbows when doing tri pressdowns or skullcrushers. Why. What can be done about that. I don't think it affects any other exercises negatively.

i dont have any research backing me up but i also had elbow pain while doing skullcrushers. what helped me was not locking out on any reps. Give it a shot if nothing else works.

Usually rest on wed, sat and sun. Haven't taken a full week off lately.

Cool thanks, I'll look into it!

Recovery weeks doesn't mean a full week off.. you would detrain after that long. Every 4-6 weeks I would consider taking a week and just decrease the load/intensity of your workouts.

Say you usually have 3-4 high load/high intensity days a week, a recovery week would have 1 high intensity day and the rest of the days fairly light

Recovery weeks doesn't mean a full week off.. you would detrain after that long. Every 4-6 weeks I would consider taking a week and just decrease the load/intensity of your workouts.

Say you usually have 3-4 high load/high intensity days a week, a recovery week would have 1 high intensity day and the rest of the days fairly light

Or could be a week to get your heart rate up, so more cardio.

Usually rest on wed, sat and sun. Haven't taken a full week off lately.

How strong are you in the big lifts, and how often do you train them? Most people don't need a 'recovery week' in the traditional sense because they simply don't train heavy enough or with enough volume to need a full week off.

Personally, I've found working up to 80% for 3 sets of 2 in the big lifts 3x per week makes for a nice break from heavy training, but I don't detrain with the down time because I'm still going fairly heavy, just with reduced volume and slightly reduced intensity.

Edited by Henrik Kesler

So I just went back to the gym today for the first time in 2.5 months (injury + vacation). Most of my lifts were down 5-10lbs. Is there a way to get back to where I was quickly and efficiently or do I have to go through the slow process of how I initially got up there?

So I just went back to the gym today for the first time in 2.5 months (injury + vacation). Most of my lifts were down 5-10lbs. Is there a way to get back to where I was quickly and efficiently or do I have to go through the slow process of how I initially got up there?

train how you used to and you will regain the strength relatively quickly. Some call it muscle memory. If your diet was in check during your time off then you should have experienced very little atrophy in your muscles. Once you start to lift again and train your CNS, your strength will be back in no time.

Anyone know where we can get our hands on some beef liver tablets?

Our government doesn't allow imports due to mad cow scares a million years ago......

why would you need those? Never heard of them tbh Edited by MusclePharm

Hey guys, I got a questions about nutrition. I recently started counting calories, and consistently coming in under my maintenance 2600kcal/day. That's not including the calories I expend lifting. I tend to average about 1800-2000 per day of clean calories, no junk food, no sugary drinks, etc. I eat smaller meals throughout the day, and don't feel hungry, yet I find myself yawning and almost dozing off in the middle of the day. I've dropped about 9lb over the last 3 weeks. At the same time, my lifts are getting stronger (though I began with low numbers, my squat is only 175... up from 125 3 weeks ago.. every day was an upper body day.. and even that was done half-assed before). I feel stronger, and am, but I am concerned. I've read about supplementing with olive oil for extra cals, any other alternatives anyone can suggest? Ideally, I'd like to eat enough to build muscle, while slowly dropping the fat. I understand bulking vs. cutting, but I've become convinced after some research that one can build muscle without gaining fat. Basically maintaining cut abs 12 months of the year (not that I have abs or intend to eat salad all year round).

What do you guys find works as a diet when building muscle? Do you always end up with some extra fat? I take whey sometimes once, sometimes twice per day to get some extra protein. Will probably do twice/day when I get some spare cash to buy a large container.

Thanks guys, and may the gainz be with you.

Edited by Lockout Casualty

Hey guys, I got a questions about nutrition. I recently started counting calories, and consistently coming in under my maintenance 2600kcal/day. That's not including the calories I expend lifting. I tend to average about 1800-2000 per day of clean calories, no junk food, no sugary drinks, etc. I eat smaller meals throughout the day, and don't feel hungry, yet I find myself yawning and almost dozing off in the middle of the day. I've dropped about 9lb over the last 3 weeks. At the same time, my lifts are getting stronger (though I began with low numbers, my squat is only 175... up from 125 3 weeks ago.. every day was an upper body day.. and even that was done half-assed before). I feel stronger, and am, but I am concerned. I've read about supplementing with olive oil for extra cals, any other alternatives anyone can suggest? Ideally, I'd like to eat enough to build muscle, while slowly dropping the fat. I understand bulking vs. cutting, but I've become convinced after some research that one can build muscle without gaining fat. Basically maintaining cut abs 12 months of the year (not that I have abs or intend to eat salad all year round).

What do you guys find works as a diet when building muscle? Do you always end up with some extra fat? I take whey sometimes once, sometimes twice per day to get some extra protein. Will probably do twice/day when I get some spare cash to buy a large container.

Eat more. Real food.

You are not building muscle on a calorie deficit unless you are a new lifter or obese and even that is minimal.

A 9 pound loss over 3 weeks is dumb unless you have a ton of weight to lose.

Google Alan Aragon for nutrition advice.

Supplements are a waste of money for the most part.

Join bodybuilding.com forums and ask there.

I would take any "internet research" about working out with a grain of salt. The industry is notorious for steroid users claiming to be natural. They sell their products, people subscribe to their youtube, and then they get busted.

The only two types of people (who aren't using steroids) who gain muscle while losing weight are the obese and newbs.

I can't comment on your specifically, as I do not know anything about your current composition and your goals. However, for me the only time I put on muscle is during a bulk. I will do a slow bulk of 1 lbs every 2 weeks. I will wait until I put on 15lbs or so and then cut 10 lbs equally slow. It's a slow process but I end up with 5 lbs of lean muscle. I'm only 5'8'' so it looks like a significant amount of muscle on my frame, and I get lots of comments on it. Not that I work out for comments, but it affirms that I'm making gains.

After 15+ years of working out 5 lbs is a huge gain. Even then this bulk/cut cycle only works once every 2 years or so...yes working out is not a quick process.

I'm guessing you are a newb and you also want to lose some weight. In which, case I wouldn't worry too much about diet or macros. I'd just hit the weights consistently. Yes, you will lose weight and gain lots of muscle for the first 2 years or so. You'll hit a wall. Then begin to worry about your macros, cutting, etc...

Eat more. Real food.

You are not building muscle on a calorie deficit unless you are a new lifter or obese and even that is minimal.

That's really the crux of my post - I don't feel hungry and so don't eat. I eat to full and anything after that I have to force down (I have a very hard time doing that). Is it really just about forcing oneself to eat past full until reaching the caloric requirement?

I was 185 6 weeks ago, after vacation and a week of munching on cookies and ice cream, I was 195, now I am back to 186 or so. At 5'10" I'm not fat, I'm not even chubby. I just have little handles on the sides. I realize I won't build muscle with a caloric deficit, however am I wrong in thinking that I'm probably not losing muscle mass as I'm losing this weight? Okay, maybe a little muscle mass. As I'm increasing my lifts and meeting my protein needs, are my muscles not at least at a standstill?

By the way, what do you mean by real food? I have a pretty good breakfast and lunch (two smaller lunches), it's really after my workout that I won't feel like eating a whole lot. Last two days I've had a slice of pizza each day for dinner, and it was enough. Sure, I'll have a glass of milk or two after or some other snack, but after dinner I'm usually only at about 1600 cal. Sometimes less if I miss a lunch.

Anyway, I'm off to google Alan Aragon! Thanks for the hint.

Eat more. Real food.

Eat more. Real food.

9 lbs over 3 weeks is really not that extreme for the first 3 weeks. A significant portion of that weight will be water weight from lower sodium intake and less crap in your guts.

I'd agree though, unless you need to lose 50+ lbs, 3 lbs/ week is not healthy weight loss over an extended period.

I would take any "internet research" about working out with a grain of salt. The industry is notorious for steroid users claiming to be natural. They sell their products, people subscribe to their youtube, and then they get busted.

The only two types of people (who aren't using steroids) who gain muscle while losing weight are the obese and newbs.

I can't comment on your specifically, as I do not know anything about your current composition and your goals. However, for me the only time I put on muscle is during a bulk. I will do a slow bulk of 1 lbs every 2 weeks. I will wait until I put on 15lbs or so and then cut 10 lbs equally slow. It's a slow process but I end up with 5 lbs of lean muscle. I'm only 5'8'' so it looks like a significant amount of muscle on my frame, and I get lots of comments on it. Not that I work out for comments, but it affirms that I'm making gains.

After 15+ years of working out 5 lbs is a huge gain. Even then this bulk/cut cycle only works once every 2 years or so...yes working out is not a quick process.

I'm guessing you are a newb and you also want to lose some weight. In which, case I wouldn't worry too much about diet or macros. I'd just hit the weights consistently. Yes, you will lose weight and gain lots of muscle for the first 2 years or so. You'll hit a wall. Then begin to worry about your macros, cutting, etc...

That's actually my second thought. Newb gains are easy. I've been working out since last July, but missed days, weeks, and months sometimes. And I was doing bro-splits. No leg days, no deadlifts, no record tracking, but cardio! It was pathetic and a colossal waste of time. Only been working on my strength since HK laid it out plain for my dull brain to comprehend. Great results, some lifts are up by 70lb already and improving every single workout. It's a thrill, combined with tracking my progress for the first time.

Anyway, yes I'm a newb and probably just riding that initial spurt. And losing the fat doesn't hurt either. Still, I could probably see more gainz if I ate more, eh? ...

Edited by Lockout Casualty

That's really the crux of my post - I don't feel hungry and so don't eat. I eat to full and anything after that I have to force down (I have a very hard time doing that). Is it really just about forcing oneself to eat past full until reaching the caloric requirement?

I was 185 6 weeks ago, after vacation and a week of munching on cookies and ice cream, I was 195, now I am back to 186 or so. At 5'10" I'm not fat, I'm not even chubby. I just have little handles on the sides. I realize I won't build muscle with a caloric deficit, however am I wrong in thinking that I'm probably not losing muscle mass as I'm losing this weight? Okay, maybe a little muscle mass. As I'm increasing my lifts and meeting my protein needs, are my muscles not at least at a standstill?

By the way, what do you mean by real food? I have a pretty good breakfast and lunch (two smaller lunches), it's really after my workout that I won't feel like eating a whole lot. Last two days I've had a slice of pizza each day for dinner, and it was enough. Sure, I'll have a glass of milk or two after or some other snack, but after dinner I'm usually only at about 1600 cal. Sometimes less if I miss a lunch.

Anyway, I'm off to google Alan Aragon! Thanks for the hint.

Do not google Alan Aragon.

You are nowhere near the point where you have to worry about every morsel of food in your mouth.

Simplify. Eat healthier and go to the gym consistently. Work out efficiently. Don't spend 2 hours in the gym. 1/2 of solid lifting is better.

I'd also say 1600 calories is not enough for you. Might be good to lose some weight short term. Not a good plan for the long term though. You probably don't have the muscle base to sustain a cut. Before you cut, you should build up some muscle underneath. Otherwise you will end up "skinny fat".

That's actually my second thought. Newb gains are easy. I've been working out since last July, but missed days, weeks, and months sometimes. And I was doing bro-splits. No leg days, no deadlifts, no record tracking, but cardio! It was pathetic and a colossal waste of time. Only been working on my strength since HK laid it out plain for my dull brain to comprehend. Great results, some lifts are up by 70lb already and improving every single workout. It's a thrill, combined with tracking my progress for the first time.

Anyway, yes I'm a newb and probably just riding that initial spurt. And losing the fat doesn't hurt either. Still, I could probably see more gainz if I ate more, eh? ...

The trick to life changes is to make them subtle.

When people come up with these hardcore routines/diet regimes, they almost never stick to them. Instead create a manageable workout routine and diet. You aren't obese, you just need subtle changes. Work out 3-4 times a week for 1/2 hours (maybe throw some cardio in on top). Base your workouts around compound workouts (Deadlifts, squats, bench press, military press, etc..) Lift with good form.

In terms of diet, make small changes that add up. Order the greens salad with vinegrette instead of the fries. Avoid too many carbs. Don't buy supplements. Eat lean meat for your protein. The only time I use supplements is during a cut, when I'm struggling to get enough protein. The only natural one that really works is creatine anyways. Preworkouts and weight burners are just caffeine and ephedrine.

Do not google Alan Aragon.

You are nowhere near the point where you have to worry about every morsel of food in your mouth.

Simplify. Eat healthier and go to the gym consistently. Work out efficiently. Don't spend 2 hours in the gym. 1/2 of solid lifting is better.

I'd also say 1600 calories is not enough for you. Might be good to lose some weight short term. Not a good plan for the long term though. You probably don't have the muscle base to sustain a cut. Before you cut, you should build up some muscle underneath. Otherwise you will end up "skinny fat".

Google Alan Aragon. He can steer you away from crap that doesn't work. It is always nice to read the science behind things.

And he is a funny guy when he is ripping on Paelo.

I have been lifting for 25 years and dont worry about every morsel of food my mouth either.

• Upvote 1

why would you need those? Never heard of them tbh

Liver is as nutritional a meat as you can get, but of course most of us don't love eating liver.

It comes highly recommended on bodybuilding.com, as well as anywhere else: http://ca.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/liver.html?&_requestid=654850

Not just this brand, but any brand really. So I like to get my hands on them.

Canada doesn't import them unfortunately.