The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

F'd my shoulder up for 6 months with the seated dumbbell shoulder press. Have not gone back to this exercise, almost been a year.

I think I tweaked it because I keep my arms bent backwards too much, putting extra strain...... now I curve my arms inward towards my chest when i do the press

F'd my shoulder up for 6 months with the seated dumbbell shoulder press. Have not gone back to this exercise, almost been a year.

I'm not a fan of seated pressing. Your scapula's cannot track correctly because of the back support. Do your vertical pressing standing.

I think I tweaked it because I keep my arms bent backwards too much, putting extra strain...... now I curve my arms inward towards my chest when i do the press

The elbow should be as close to directly under the bar as possible during the press. The further your elbow is in front of the bar, the more inefficient your pressing motion.

I'm not a fan of seated pressing. Your scapula's cannot track correctly because of the back support. Do your vertical pressing standing.

The elbow should be as close to directly under the bar as possible during the press. The further your elbow is in front of the bar, the more inefficient your pressing motion.

I meant dumbbells...... and what I mean is.... think of a overhead view of a guy sitting on the chair with the 2 dumbbells held up.... instead of keeping the arms 180 degrees with the chest.... i keep my arms more pushed inwards like 170 degrees..... ive noticed for myself when i try to keep it 180 i actually go too far back.. making for a awkward movement and straining myself

Edited by key2thecup

god. tonight was a waste of time. tried 500 again for the deadlift but the 455 prior felt funny internally. I was able to do the 500... but finished with a mouth full of vomit as well. Keeping it in was almost harder than the lift. After that I just stopped altogether. I ate an hour before lifting like I always do but adding that watery protein drink seemed to fill me up tooo much. Lifting so heavy like that puts a ton of stress on your system; you are going from 0 to 100% effort in about half a second. So, take note of that people - be careful of what you consume and how much before lifting.

Back at it again tomorrow since tonight didn't count.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

god. tonight was a waste of time. tried 500 again for the deadlift but the 455 prior felt funny internally. I was able to do the 500... but finished with a mouth full of vomit as well. Keeping it in was almost harder than the lift. After that I just stopped altogether. I ate an hour before lifting like I always do but adding that watery protein drink seemed to fill me up tooo much. Lifting so heavy like that puts a ton of stress on your system; you are going from 0 to 100% effort in about half a second. So, take note of that people - be careful of what you consume and how much before lifting.

I'm not a fan of eating really close to lifting, especially if you train heavy like I know you do. Pre-workout meals get pumped as THE thing, but the fact is what you consume 24 prior to training has a MUCH larger affect on your workout than what you consume 2 hours beforehand. Your body just doesn't process food so fast that what you eat right before a workout (<2 hours before) will magically enhance your training.

• Upvote 1

Try doing standing shoulder press or seated on an exercise ball. It targets your shoulders well without having to put them under hefty load, which can cause injury. Also a great way to train your core.

Be sure to keep the core tight all the way through and your spine 'organized'.

IMO seated shoulder press is best for beginners (before they get strong enough to hurt themselves), or professional bodybuilders. For someone trying to stay fit I think there are more suitable options.

That being said, it comes down to technique. Many people hurt themselves trying to push too much weight without proper technique. On shoulder press it is often arching the back and recruiting your pecs into the movement, when with a proper press the primary role of the pecs is to help stabilize the shoulder.

Henrik Kesler laid it out pretty well but I would also suggest saving the protein drink for after. Having protein immediately before any sort of exercise isn't doing you any good.

Protein isn't your body's ideal energy source. Generally, protein contributes <1% of total energy supply. Protein also takes time for your body to digest and catabolize. The protein you ingest typically won't be of 'any use' until 3-4 hours after you have already eaten it.

Have you made the 500 yet?

Been getting a lot of joint pain in the knees/elbows when going heavy on lifts. Any recommendations other than fish oil/ glucosamine? Also started using a roller before and after workouts.

On a side note, the upper peck is really starting to come in :) a lot faster than expected. Motivation to keep going at it harder

Been getting a lot of joint pain in the knees/elbows when going heavy on lifts. Any recommendations other than fish oil/ glucosamine? Also started using a roller before and after workouts.

On a side note, the upper peck is really starting to come in :) a lot faster than expected. Motivation to keep going at it harder

Do you take recovery weeks? Could be a sign of overtraining.

Whats been successful for you in bringing out your upper chest? I changed things up about a couple months ago and have finally started to see some real progress in my upper chest, still not filled out but compared to the 1.5 years before that, its been a huge change.

I finally found out how to hit my upper chest and actually feel it, through people on here, youtube, other online sites etc. normal exercises just didn't cut it for me. Different pec insertion? Or whatever I read.

Anyways for incline bench, I don't go for my max weight, I go somewhere where I use my shoulders minimally and lift with my chest mainly. And I really bring the dumbbells down and a bit forward to where your nips are haha (really got to find the angle and such that works for you by playing around with it). Also for many exercises such as standing shoulder press, front dumbbell raises, dips, bringing your chin down to your chest and really squeezing down has helped a ton, at least in my mind it helps a ton as I can finally feel it by doing that.

This is all based on my problem that I wouldn't feel it, not sure what the case is for you, but thought I'd throw it out there incase it was.

^^ I still go as heavy as possible on all my exercises to a minimum of 6reps. But the most recent change to my upper routine and likey the cause for upper chest would likely be standing strict push presses and leaning forward dips (till failure at the end of workout 4 sets). For dips I'll try to hold the stretch for 5 seconds each rep (Isometric contraction). Personally started to feel like flys were overrated and cut them out for now.

Last upper day I did push press, isometric pull ups, flat bench, barbell rows, incline db press, cable facepulls, isometric dips.

Try curcumin, I've been using it for a while now and it works great for me.

Does anyone else mix carton liquid egg whites with vegetable juice? I do this sometimes. It's just easier than making veggies (stove top broccoli which I do a lot of) and cooking egg whites when you can just drink it. 2 cups juice and 1 cup whites. You obviously get your calories ~300calories, plus your protein ~30grams, plus your carbs ~30grams. Of course I think the only downside may be that consuming too many liquids isn't "as good for you" as eating these foods whole.

Does anyone else mix carton liquid egg whites with vegetable juice? I do this sometimes. It's just easier than making veggies (stove top broccoli which I do a lot of) and cooking egg whites when you can just drink it. 2 cups juice and 1 cup whites. You obviously get your calories ~300calories, plus your protein ~30grams, plus your carbs ~30grams. Of course I think the only downside may be that consuming too many liquids isn't "as good for you" as eating these foods whole.

I usually drink raw eggs with yolk, with milk and a large banana. Good breakfast at ~500 kcal.

I started counting calories the other day. Then the weekend came and I read the nutrition profile on a can of beer. I didn't count calories anymore...

Reached a new strength. Seeing no results mirror wise can be pretty deflating on the Confidence.

But when I picked up the dumbbells and curled them like I would have on a lower weight made up for everything!!! Such a f**king awesome feeling!

50 pounds with 8 curls 3 times.

May not be a lot with fellow lifters, but it's an improvement nonetheless!