The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Cory Schneider's Performance in the 2013 Playoffs Change the Goalie Situation in Vancouver?

trading Schneider may be the way to go. He will likely fetch us a young good forward for us to start replenish our top 6. Luongo still has 3-4 good years left. If that's the case, trade Schneider, draft a high prospect goalie at this year's draft and start developing the guy right away with Lack. Then after 3-4 years, we have someone coming up to fill in.

For me, Schneider, Edler can be traded away for top line young talent. Mason Raymond will likely be let go, so will Malholtra, so that frees up about 5.3 mil of cap space. Ballard will be one of the guys bought out. Niklas Jensen will be given a look here next year, and Brendan Gaunce will likely get a look as well.

Ya caus there is no way Lou could have gotten us to the playoffs. I guess the last four years were a total fluke. What a load!!

I got news for you pal, If we had started Luo for all 48 games we would have still won the division. There would have been little or no difference. Don't be such a drama queen, it makes your entire argument look weak.

It's not about what one goalie is capable of achieving relative to the other. It's been proven time and again that elite goaltending comes and goes but what really counts is consistently GOOD goaltending, not great but good.

Luongo and Schneider are both elite level goaltenders, both have proven they are capable of consistently good goaltending.

By process of elimination, Cory Schneider should be the odd man out. If both can provide the same thing to the team, then you need to move the goaltender that provides the bigger return to address the deficiencies of the club in general.

This is coming from an avid Lou trade monger, but looking at it objectively moving Cory Schneider makes the most sense.

Think about it this way: If we kept Schneider and traded Luongo and didn't get back in return what the club actually needed to improve, and in 3 years we end up with no better success, an elite goaltender on an expiring contract.

Whereas, if we keep Luongo and trade Schneider, we still get the goaltending we need, pay respect to a player who single handedly returned the Canucks to legitimacy, improve the roster AND benefit from the security in knowing our starting goaltender is locked up at an affordable cap hit moving forward.

Trading Schneider + Edler + X in the off season I think will net a significant enough return to retool the roster, combined with management and coaching changes should provide a shot in the arm for this organization moving forward.

I know this is awful but I said this when we got Luongo. As good as he is and the high expectations from fans I knew they would eventually turn on him. And again it will happen with Schneider and whoever is going to be the starter after him.

For people still arguing to keep Schneider, I will throw out one more reason to trade him instead of Luongo. Schneider has 2 years left on his deal, and will be looking for a monster long term contract, and I wouldn't even be surprised if he is looking for a 8 year deal around 6M per each season. that would be a really bad situation for us as we will have to either take that deal or let Schneider walk as he would be UFA. Trading him now would avoid that situation completely. Luongo 5.2 cap hit is not that bad compared with many around the League.

Shadowgoon is correct. The whole "goalie graveyard" thing is a myth.

There are always going to be a few whiners who want a scapegoat after a loss and the goaltender is often a very convenient target. However, the vast majority of Canuck fans realize that Luongo has easily been the best goaltender that the franchise has ever had and appreciate everything he has done for the team.

However, most of us are also realists who understand that sometimes it's better for all involved that the player move on.

An objective take from an Oilers journalist:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/05/07/vancouver-canucks-should-change-gears-and-trade-cory-schneider-not-roberto-luongo/

Edmonton Journal

Vancouver Canucks should change gears and trade Cory Schneider not Roberto Luongo

Posted by Jim Matheson

Agree whole-heartedly with the under-current around the Vancouver Canucks’ shocking playoff ouster to the San Jose Sharks in four games: trade goalie Cory Schneider and keep Roberto Luongo in net, and try to rebuild on the fly.

You’ll get stocking stuffers for Luongo with the $40.6 million left on his contract; you’ll get a couple of young bodies for Schneider, who is only 27.

Luongo is almost untradeable unless the Canucks pick up a whack of his salary. Schneider wouldn’t be.

Call up GM Paul Holmgren in Philly, who certainly isn’t tied to Ilya Bryzgalov,32, in net; maybe the owner Ed Snider is because he’d have to buy him out at two-thirds of the $34.5 million left over seven years, but the Flyers, always looking for goalies, would jump at Schneider, who has $8.5 million left over the next two seasons.

Would the Flyers trade centre Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier to get him? Absolutely.

What if the Canucks held out for a young forward like Matt Read, too. I don’t think they’d trade winger Wayne Simmonds, Holmgren’s favourite player, or Jake Voracek, who had 46 points, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

If not Philly, get on the horn to New York Islanders’ GM Garth Snow, who has Evgeni Nabokov, 38 in July, as an unrestricted free-agent.

Nabokov has been ordinary for the Islanders in their series with the Pittsburgh Penguins and is a B-class goalie these days. The Isles have nobody anywhere near being ready to be a No. 1 if not Nabokov, who had a good regular-season (2.50 avg) but is on his last legs.

Tell Snow you’d like Kyle Okposo and a prospect like Nino Niederreiter. Or go higher and ask for centre Ryan Strome, who played for Canada’s world junior team.

The Isles, who are the surprise team of the playoffs hanging tough with the Penguins, have a few assets that the Canucks badly need. Their cupboard is awfully bare in the minors. They need help now, or they’re going to be spinning their wheels until the Sedins are 37 or 38.

Trade Schneider to the Eastern Conference where he won’t come back to haunt you. Keep Luongo, a polarizing figure in Vancouver, for sure, but still a very good goalie. He’s 34 and he has a chunk of dough left over the next nine years. A mouthful, but in the interim, the Canucks can look for a younger goalie to build around. Draft somebody else.

Lui is not staying. No chance. He's been stepped on, casted aside, told repeatedly he's no longer The One and generally treated like crap by AV for so long it would be impossible for him to remain a Canucks. Judging from the relief smile on his face during the on ice handshake with the Sharks, the man has moved on and rightfully so. Good luck Lui. You deserve better.

Lui is not staying. No chance. He's been stepped on, casted aside, told repeatedly he's no longer The One and generally treated like crap by AV for so long it would be impossible for him to remain a Canucks. Judging from the relief smile on his face during the on ice handshake with the Sharks, the man has moved on and rightfully so. Good luck Lui, you deserve better.

Both goalies are good NHL starters capable of taking a team to the playoffs. I would be fine with either leading this team in goal. Schneider would get a better return, and letting Lu finish his career here but be nice (and probably a jersey retirement). Although, Lu seems like he wants to be closer to his wife, so getting him to somewhere closer to Florida (literally ANY OTHER TEAM) would help him with family matters, and the Canucks still have a good, young goalie, that can steal games for the team.

I sure hope not. Cory is younger, calmer and more technically sound (not to mention cheaper). Part of the rebuilding that will take place this summer will be focusing on going younger. Cory is our guy. Besides, after all this hoopla, will Luongo really want to stay? I really appreciate his class and poise in handling the situation this year being and being able to step up to the plate when required. Lu is an excellent goalie and person, but I would still stick with Cory. Let Lu have a clean slate with another team.

Archived