The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Attitude is reflection of leadership"

yabadabadoo

"Attitude is reflection of leadership"...Julius Campbell (Remember the Titans). This is my favorite line from a sports movie.

Mike Gillis and Alain Vigneault come across as cerebral, calm, arrogant, patient, evasive, complacent and aloof. Behind closed doors, they are probably as they appear publicly.

Thus, it should come as no surprise that the leadership core of the players reflect the behavioral and technical competencies of MG and AV.

It's well documented that the Sedins fail to play with the burning fire within them, and their off-ice comments mimick the verbal diahrea that flows from MG and AV ("we played great for 53 minutes"..."I like the way we played tonight"..."if we keep doing what we're doing, we will win"..."we're playing the right way"..."we're following the process"...). Most of the Canucks faithful are tired of this attitude and with the failure that's come with it believe it's time for significant changes. You can accuse a guy like Crosby for being whiny but he has that leadership quality that allows him to come up big when it counts.

The one other competency that I always thought was lacking with this group of players was maturity. I remember Sami Salo calling out his teammates after the second meltdown vs. the Hawks, when guys like Burrows and Kesler were flopping around and taking stupid penalties. The Canucks as a group are undisciplined with their incessant whining, trash talking, bad penalties (and yes it could be argued that a lot of the calls are marginal and biased) on the ice that leads to alienating themselves from the officials. So with the loss of Salo and Malhotra this season, I believe we lost a lot of maturity. As a case in point, Toews, who has been praised and criticized for being Capt. Serious for the Hawks provides a strong moral (not in biblical terms) compass for a team that could easily be derailed by the antics of Kane (off-ice), Bolland, Shaw, etc.

So, my point is this...since the team's play is borne out of the attitude that it possesses, and attitude is borne out of leadership, I believe changes at the top needs to be made...and that starts with relieving AV of his coaching duties and MG of his GM duties, as well as rethinking the Sedins place on the team. I think it's a forgone conclusion that AV is gone, but I don't think Aquilini has the cajones to fire Gillis just yet.

Great quote!

I completely agree that the "attitude" is the problem.

AV out, MG stays on a short leash.

H. Sedin loses the C (not his fault) and both Sedins are now 2nd liners with Kassian on their wing where they can dominate.

Find a FA or something to wing with Kesler as a new 1st line.

Get Torres back and a faceoff winning, defensive 3rd line center to go with Hansen

Get a big physical 4th line similar to LAK cup run.

That leaves out Higgins, Burrows, Raymond and Booth. 3/4 have NTC or NMC contracts. Oops. Nevermind, we cant do anything because of MG's contracts he has given.

If Gillis can figure this team out with the way he has set it up I will stand and give him a prolonged applause.

This! This right here! Hank is a good player and does have a place on this team but for whatever reason his teammates have tuned him out. Just as AV has lost the room so has Hank. If and this is a big if he is able to regain the guys and be a true leader when they get a new coach then sure let him keep the C if not then give it to Kesler! He may not be perfect but when it matters, really matters Kes steps up to the plate this is the type of heart and grit we need from captain.

AV out, MG stays on a short leash.

H. Sedin loses the C and both Sedins are now 2nd liners with Kassian on their wing

Find a FA or something to wing with Kesler as a new 1st line.

Get Torres back and a faceoff winning, defensive 3rd line center to go with Hansen

Get a big physical 4th line similar to LAK cup run.

That leaves out Higgins, Burrows, Raymond and Booth. 3/4 have NTC or NMC contracts. Oops. Nevermind, we cant do anything because of MG's contracts he has given.

If Gillis can figure this team out with the way he has set it up I will stand and give him a prolonged applause.

I doubt Florida would take this deal either for the reasons you say. But with another year of not making the playoffs, and a bunch of good young prospects already stocking their team, a top pairing defenceman just entering his prime and a top 10 goalie in the league could be seen as a message to their fans that they're serious about trying to win.

I'm reaching I know.

I doubt Florida would take this deal either for the reasons you say. But with another year of not making the playoffs, and a bunch of good young prospects already stocking their team, a top pairing defenceman just entering his prime and a top 10 goalie in the league could be seen as a message to their fans that they're serious about trying to win.

I'm reaching I know.

Speaking of remember the titans ... how bout the quote by coach yoast? We cuda used it every 2nd intermission all series

"I donttt want them to GAIN ANOTHER YARD... we BLITZ all night. I swear if they cross that line of scrimmage I'm gon' take everylast one of ya out. Lets make sure... that they remember... the night, they played the titans (canucks) "

I agree with those comments about Vigneault, since he's supposed to energize his team, call them out when need, and some emotions behind the bench.

But on the opposite, I like that MG is calmed and cerebral. He has more of a "administrative" job and he his the face of the Canucks for management, so he can't make a tortorella of Milbury out of himself. Look at the Bruins, their fans and teams is characterize as bullies, but Chiarelli looks anything but a bully, specially in his comments/actions.

MG has been able to make bold moves, Re-sign twins, pickup Ehrhoff, let him walk, trade hodgson, offert sheet to Backes.

The problem with MG is he pretty much build us in to a contender in 2011, and we were 1 win away, but now he thinks his core can go back to where they were in 2011, but he's wrong. And he should realize it this summer and make some bold changes (Let go MayRay, Ballard, Booth, trade Luongos and get it over with, whatever the return is, get a new coach, decides if Shcroeder and Kassian are going to be core players on this team and force the new coach to use them or get other 2nd/3rd liner instead)

Otherwize if he thinks his core is solid and will bring them back to the SCF, then he's wrong and GTG.

There's nothing wrong with a calm attitude but I think calm is a bit different than complacent. In these situations you have to remain calm but you also have to recognize that you need to step up your game, and the confidence that you actually can step up your game. I don't want some idiot like Tortorella that loses his cool, but at the same time the Sedins have to realise that what you've been doing isn't good enough. It doesn't take a "good" effort to come down from 3-0, they need a heroic one.

I think the guys should look to Kesler for leadership. Look what he did in game 2. The amount of confidence he displayed was unbelievable. He never panicked, never doubted his ability, he brought swagger onto the ice, but most importantly he backed it up by stepping up his effort. Kesler does everything it takes to win, and even when he's playing well he knows when he needs to play even better. These are the qualities of a true leader of men. Some detractors think he's arrogant and maybe he can be a bit cocky at times but he knows he can back it up and he tries his best to do so. You need that type of confidence on your team.

The most talented players are not supported with a proper d corps that was once here.

No talented offensive d men means no power play which means this team is not tough enough or talented enough to win without a strong PP.

Fail at management level,not lack of heart or desire on the part of the players,

Hank carried the team this year,not Kesler and not Gillis.

Archived