The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Staying Competitive & Gaining Youth + Size

*All based on we get knocked out 1st round*

Just because the team will likely get kicked out early doesn't mean you blow up the entire team. I say the team does a makeover but not a complete one. Main strategy behind this: stay competitive, but also get younger talent for the future while getting bigger (We were so close that one year :sadno: )

1.) Edler, Sweatt, for Couturier, Talbot

2.) Luongo, Booth, 3rd/4th for Clarkson, Matteau (Solid, solid prospect with big frame), Fayne

(I don't want Lu gone - love him way more than Schneids, but it's more likely of him going :( )

3.) 3rd/4th for Brian Boyle (Monster body for playoffs)

4.) Sign Babchuk (Huge body) & a goalie

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Clarkson - Roy - Kesler

Higgins - Couturier - Hansen

Lapierre - Boyle - Talbot

[Weise, Schroeder, Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, Matteau]

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Babchuk

Ballard - Tanev

[Corrado, Fayne, Alberts]

Schneider

FA

[Lack, Cannata]

Tons of depth all around, and more complete team. An actual trustworthy bottom 6 that will allows 4 lines to play, lots of young talent for future, and the size goes up exponentially. Main focus was to stay competitive, get younger, and get bigger, and I think this does that. All 4 lines have scoring abilities (huge flaw this team has come playoffs), and the team becomes grittier with sand paper to wear down opponents, take the body, and put the puck in the net.

Overall we dump lots of money to fit under the reduced cap for next year, and yes I know I never did the signings/extensions...just did this as a broad outline. And like I said, the team transitions into a team that is capable of not only scoring but also one that can wear and tear opponents. ..in other words, we become a complete playoff team that doesn't have to worry about getting pushed around and can make a difference with any line/pair on the ice. Let me know what you guys & gals think.

I like your proposal except for the re-signing of Roy. Too small and hasn't done a thing in the playoffs and will want too much money.

I would make Kesler the number 1 center and move the Sedins to the #2 line with Kassian on the line. Hopefully a new coach will play him and allow him to make mistakes. It's the only way he will get better.

I'd love to get Boyd Gordon out of Phoenix for a 3rd or 4th line center.

Two other guys that I would consider moving are Burrows and Higgins. Burrows, at 32, has a NTC starting in July. IF it was the right deal.

Higgins has done nothing in the playoffs. No goals in his last 15-16 games. We need guys that are "playoff performers" going forward. He also has a limited NTC starting in July also so for that reason I consider moving him.

The lower cap hit is going to make it very hard to bring in any new talent. Other teams will be looking to unload their high paid players for talented young ELC players.

The Canucks need to be flexible. The Sedins are very good players, who appear to be stuck playing a style that doesn't work in today's NHL. Separate them at the beginning of the season; forcing them to play differently. Bringing in some prospects is a must.

DSedin Kes Kas

Burr HSedin Jensen

Trade Edler or preferably Bieksa for a young guy like Couturier.

Higgins Couturier Gaunce/Hansen

Lain Lapierre Hansen/Gaunce

Hamhuis Garrison

Edler Tanev

Alberts Corrado

Trade whatever goalie gets the best prospect

Lu/Schneids

Lack

About 58M cap hit. Leaves 2M for extras

*All based on we get knocked out 1st round*

Just because the team will likely get kicked out early doesn't mean you blow up the entire team. I say the team does a makeover but not a complete one. Main strategy behind this: stay competitive, but also get younger talent for the future while getting bigger (We were so close that one year :sadno: )

1.) Edler, Sweatt, for Couturier, Talbot

2.) Luongo, Booth, 3rd/4th for Clarkson, Matteau (Solid, solid prospect with big frame), Fayne

(I don't want Lu gone - love him way more than Schneids, but it's more likely of him going :( )

3.) 3rd/4th for Brian Boyle (Monster body for playoffs)

4.) Sign Babchuk (Huge body) & a goalie

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Clarkson - Roy - Kesler

Higgins - Couturier - Hansen

Lapierre - Boyle - Talbot

[Weise, Schroeder, Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, Matteau]

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Babchuk

Ballard - Tanev

[Corrado, Fayne, Alberts]

Schneider

FA

[Lack, Cannata]

Tons of depth all around, and more complete team. An actual trustworthy bottom 6 that will allows 4 lines to play, lots of young talent for future, and the size goes up exponentially. Main focus was to stay competitive, get younger, and get bigger, and I think this does that. All 4 lines have scoring abilities (huge flaw this team has come playoffs), and the team becomes grittier with sand paper to wear down opponents, take the body, and put the puck in the net.

Overall we dump lots of money to fit under the reduced cap for next year, and yes I know I never did the signings/extensions...just did this as a broad outline. And like I said, the team transitions into a team that is capable of not only scoring but also one that can wear and tear opponents. ..in other words, we become a complete playoff team that doesn't have to worry about getting pushed around and can make a difference with any line/pair on the ice. Let me know what you guys & gals think.

So many threads talking about the same thing but want peoples views on this...Certainly some moving parts here but I think, in all honestly all of this is doable. It just takes some wheeling and dealing. That being said, I don't see any of the trades below I suggested as 'crazy/unrealistic/impossible'..honest thoughts welcome

I had posted this to another thread a few months back and this is what I'd like to see. Given that it seems like Corrado is ready (albeit only a couple of games but he can manage a bottom pairing as he's better than most of our bottom right now)...some minor tweaks to my original proposal

As we have seen and I said earlier, we are still lacking the hands/size combination, aggressiveness/hitting, and hunger we need to win a cup. As such here are my thoughts (albeit challenging to do all of them) that could really turn us into a TOUGH team to play against, and one that's built for the playoff grind, and that can play any style.

Right now our 2014 cap is 60 million, it is expected to be 64 million so here are my views.

First things first

1. Lou, Bieksa, Schroeder, and our first to Philly for Coutourier and #11 overall. Philly gets their goalie, a decent dman, a potential center and still keep a first rounder.

2. Then take that number 11 pick plus Jensen and move it to FLA for #2 overall. FLA has depth at center, they dont NEED McKinnon, they could use a winger with hands and Jensen is more ready than any pick will be. Morover they still have a 11th overall...a great deal for them.

3. Draft McKinnon

4. Sign David Clarkson for 4.25 ml and Raffi Torres for 3.0 (yes slight overpayment but given his playoff performance there will be a battle for him, SJ will likely have the upper hand here as he seems to have found a nice spot).

4. Trade Ballard, Higgins, and Tostito to the Islanders for Matt Martin and a 2nd round pick. Islanders will be in desparate need of a top 4 dman given the UFA and aging status of most of their D. An experienced Dman will do wonders for that team going forward as they are showing they are ready to take the next step. Higgins is from NY and brings a veteran presence to a team that will need one. Tostito helps them replace Martin (at least a bit). Martin gives us what we're missing on the 4th line, the best hitter in the NHL.

5. Sign Boyd Gordon or Steckel for the fourth line and let Roy go as well as MayRay

6. Resign Lappy for 2.0 ml

7. Booth traded for a pick

This team will have size on every line. Someone who can score and hit with the Sedins (and take some pressure off Kassian and let him develop properly).Clarkson has size, uses it, can fight and will drop em, protect the Sedins and can score, has very good hands, good cycler and around the net/tough areas.

In addition, we solved our issues down the middle for the next 12 years. With Coutourier and McKinnon we have a real number 1 and real number 2, at the most important position, next to goalie, in hockey. We also have Gaunce ready to be a superstar number 3 with 2nd line capability - what we've been lacking for so many seasons, real strengths long term at 1c 2c and 3c.

Burrows moves back with Kesler Mckinnon plays the other wing until he’s ready to play center. Offensive instincts suggest he can jump in. He can play the playmaker on this line until he's ready to take over at center. He's more offensively gifted then Coutourier so Couts goes to #3 till the Sedins move on, and he's also more experienced than Mckinnon, so a better bet to be in a 'responsible' position right now.

The team below wins the Stanley Cup next year.

Line up.

Daniel Henrik Clarkson

6.1 / 6.1/ 4.25 = 16

Burrows Kesler Mckinnon

4.5 / 5/ .875 = 10.4

Kassian Coutourier Torres

.875 / 1.35 / 3.0 = 5.25

Martin / Lappy / Hansen

1 / 2.0 / 1.35= 4.35

Forwards = 36.

Hamhuis Garrison

4.5 / 4.6 = 9.1

Edler Tanev

5 / 2 = 7

Find a number 5/6 (Fistric) + / Corrado

3 /1 = 4

Defense = 20.1

Schnieds

Lack

Total = 61.1 Mil

Add in Steckel as your depth Center for 2 ml

You’re at 63 ml.

1. Couturier >>> Edler/Sweat alone

2. Fayne, Matteau >>> Luongo and Clarkson > Booth (other than the fact that Clarkson is pending UFA)

3. Boyle is a big part of the Rangers, it would take more than that, specially since they have a lot of young player in their line-up already.

That is a really good team, other than the facts that we ripped off 3 teams to achieve it.

Mike Milbury can't be a GM in 3 places at the same time.

Archived