The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

SIGNING: The Florida Panthers have signed unrestricted free agent F Michael Handzus to a one year deal.Michael Handzus: 1 years, $1.75 million dollar contract **Deal includes a NTC for the duration of term**

3470a15d08789c0eb0784c850273544b.png

Florida trying to copy the model of the Isles.

A day late and a dollar short.

Just in time IMO.

The NHL has to stop trying to punish due to the extent of the injury and start punishing due to the infraction. Any tape used against players for bad hits needs to be stopped at a few frames after contact...basically to determine follow through and direction of travel/force...the broken jaw is of no consequence..it should be the hit to the head in the first place..and if i hit you in the head and you skate away and i hit some other bloke in the head the same way and he crumples and can't play again...if both hits were of equal force to the same area, the punishment should be the same...except of course in this example the second time would be with a history of doing so, and so that second hit should be punished harsher.

There needs to be a clear "your elbow to anyones head means you don't play here anymore" rule, and then let the hearing be about IF a player who does head shots will be allowed back at all, rather than the current model of a hearing to determine 2,3,4,5 or more games off.

The NHL has to stop trying to punish due to the extent of the injury and start punishing due to the infraction. Any tape used against players for bad hits needs to be stopped at a few frames after contact...basically to determine follow through and direction of travel/force...the broken jaw is of no consequence..it should be the hit to the head in the first place..and if i hit you in the head and you skate away and i hit some other bloke in the head the same way and he crumples and can't play again...if both hits were of equal force to the same area, the punishment should be the same...except of course in this example the second time would be with a history of doing so, and so that second hit should be punished harsher.

I totally agree but the league doesn't see it this way, injury supposedly is a big factor in suspensions... Half the time anyways.

Totally , it's all about intent, was there a deliberate intent to target the head, accidental still gets punished but if there is deliberate intent , which is pretty obvious , then the penalty should be severe no matter what damage is done.

True dat. I was surprised they threw so much money at Halak. He's a good starter, but $4.5m good? Luongo's deal really does look like a bargain when you look round the league at the Halaks, Backstroms, Wards and Millers out there.

I'm amazed we ate any of his contract. Still hurts like mad that we treated him the way we did, never mind traded him for buttons AND retained a significant portion of his salary.

I think they Isles will impress next season. Their goaltending is shored up now, they have a lot of talent up front and some emerging stars on defence as well. Sure Halak isn't in the top tier of goalies, but he isn't being paid in the $6-$7 million range like Quick, Price or Lundqvist. He's had solid numbers and stabilizes their goaltending for the next few years, which is a luxury the Isles haven't had in a loooooong time. Look for them to add some pieces on defence in free agency. You'll notice they didn't defer the pick they owe to Buffalo to next years draft (which is really deep...) until after they had Halak signed (well, same day, but you have to think they knew it was pretty much done when they deferred the pick).

The Islanders clearly think they're a playoff team with solid goaltending and a healthy Tavares. Heck, they were in the race this year without decent goaltending until Tavares went down at the Olympics. They're in a similar position to the Jets, except the Isles have made moves to improve their goaltending (sorry arby...) They've got some young talent and should be better than their standings show, but they give up too much in the way of shots and high quality chances. That's where a solid goaltender can really bail a team out. Pavelec hasn't cut it in Winnipeg, nor did Nabokov last year for the Isles, and both teams fell out of the race and missed the playoffs. Halak is an upgrade.

They may or may not make the playoffs, but I believe the Isles will be better next year, and at least be in the race down the wire (assuming they stay healthy). Snow and the Isles take a lot of heat, but I'd like to see them succeed and prove everyone wrong.

I think they Isles will impress next season. Their goaltending is shored up now, they have a lot of talent up front and some emerging stars on defence as well. Sure Halak isn't in the top tier of goalies, but he isn't being paid in the $6-$7 million range like Quick, Price or Lundqvist. He's had solid numbers and stabilizes their goaltending for the next few years, which is a luxury the Isles haven't had in a loooooong time. Look for them to add some pieces on defence in free agency. You'll notice they didn't defer the pick they owe to Buffalo to next years draft (which is really deep...) until after they had Halak signed (well, same day, but you have to think they knew it was pretty much done when they deferred the pick).

The Islanders clearly think they're a playoff team with solid goaltending and a healthy Tavares. Heck, they were in the race this year without decent goaltending until Tavares went down at the Olympics. They're in a similar position to the Jets, except the Isles have made moves to improve their goaltending (sorry arby...) They've got some young talent and should be better than their standings show, but they give up too much in the way of shots and high quality chances. That's where a solid goaltender can really bail a team out. Pavelec hasn't cut it in Winnipeg, nor did Nabokov last year for the Isles, and both teams fell out of the race and missed the playoffs. Halak is an upgrade.

They may or may not make the playoffs, but I believe the Isles will be better next year, and at least be in the race down the wire (assuming they stay healthy). Snow and the Isles take a lot of heat, but I'd like to see them succeed and prove everyone wrong.

Don't forget their 1/2C Lubo Visnovsky was out for most of the year! Lots of young guys got extended NHL experience in a "write-off" season, so I can only see them going up from here.

Also, 4.5m seems to be their magic number in goal :bigblush:

I agree.

I also think they will look to add quite a bit in FA this year. They have cap room and, finally, looser purse strings. With the new building they'll want to come in with a playoff quality team. I think they may even move their pick this year for immediate help.

It might seem unlikely but Kesler to the Island would make sense if he's open to it. Now that Brooklyn is in the cards, Kes might be interested in being a NY star. Behind Tavares they'd be a much better team. Even Edler would be a huge possibility. Something like the 5th, Reinhart/Strome for Kes or Pokka/Pullock, Bailey for Edler. Put them together and you'd have a massive deal that could work for both sides. It wouldn't even empty their cupboards.

The Isles have been stockpiling good young players, especially d-men, and they could afford to swing a trade to bolster depth AND be a big player on the UFA market.

Okay guys, ridiculous non-hockey post alert.

Ever watched Friends? You know the 'freebie list' that is the focus of one episode, where Ross and Rachel make a list of 5 celebrities they're allowed to hook up with and the other can't get mad? Jill wanted to make such a list, I expected of 5 people. But she wants to expand it to 20, because apparently she can't decide and wants to keep her options open (can't you just feel the love?

:lol: ) I don't know if I could actually come up with 20, seeing as how I'm not much for recent TV shows or celebrity stuff, so I'm enlisting the help of the experts! Who should make my list? :P

My current list:

- Jennifer Lawrence

- Kate Upton

- Kaley Cuoco

- Hayden Panettiere

- Mila Kunis
- Emma Stone
- Natalie Portman
- Melissa Rauch
- Ellen Page
- Eugenie Bouchard
- Chloe Dufour Lapointe

- Justine Dufour Lapointe
- Maxime Dufour Lapointe
- Scarlett Johansson
- Avril Lavigne

- Katy Perry
- Ariana Grande
- Selena Gomez
-

Okay guys, ridiculous non-hockey post alert.

Ever watched Friends? You know the 'freebie list' that is the focus of one episode, where Ross and Rachel make a list of 5 celebrities they're allowed to hook up with and the other can't get mad? Jill wanted to make such a list list, I expected of 5 people. But she wants to expand it to 20, because apparently she can't decide and wants to keep her options open (can't you just feel the love?

:lol: ) I don't know if I could actually come up with 20, seeing as how I'm not much for recent TV shows or celebrity stuff, so I'm enlisting the help of the experts! Who should make my list? :P

My current 5:

- Jennifer Lawrence

- Kate Upton

- Kaley Cuoco

- Hayden Panettiere

- Mila Kunis

Chris Evans.

Archived