The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

8. (*20*)NY Rangers (via Phoenix) - Anthony Mantha

47. (*56*)NY Rangers (via Dallas) - Marc-Olivier Roy

49. (*49*)NY Rangers (via Ottawa) - Gabryel Boudreau

So here in New York we would have taken Bo Horvat 10th, but he went 9th..and we honestly thought Mantha was not going to be available by 10th. So I feel lucky, and I want to congratulate Squeak on a great draft, being as we are all Canuck Fans.

I quickly picked Roy at 47th after my target was picked just earlier, and so when canuck2xtreme asked me to flip him for 49th i collected my wits and selected my next target. Gabryel Boudreau, from what was off the page according to the sports writers. Turns out though that San Jose Sharks agree with me, as they took him at the exact same spot.

So lucky or foolish, who knows and time will tell: but I got Mantha and Boudreau combined within 2 picks of where they went in the NHL draft. ; )

So it was a mixed result for the Tampa Bay Lightning today.

Samuel Morin, who went 33rd in our draft, was taken 11th overall by the Philadelphia Flyers, a perfect fit for the bruising hulk on the blue-line. Jumping 22 spots, Morin was the biggest first round riser.

Meanwhile, Justin Bailey (29th Overall) and Madison Bowey (23rd Overall) were the biggest drops out of the 1st round, going consecutively at 52nd (to Buffalo) and 53rd (to Washington) in the second round. A bit of good news/bad news, as they were both still within the top-60.

Tampa GM y0shi on the results of today and last week's draft:

"Not going to lie, we were not overly prepared as we should've been during the draft, having maybe 2 days of actual preparation time. That being said, we went for players who come from unique situations.

Madison Bowey is a solid prospect from a solid program, known for churning out elite NHL defensemen. We'd like to remind the rest of the league that some franchise defenseman from the 2003 Draft who also played for the Kelowna Rockets was also taken in the 2nd Round, so it's by no means a worry for us that he "slipped" so "late"

Justin Bailey we figured would be a perfect fit with the Sabres for anyone who knows his background. There was a risk that the would pass on him, but also we had a good feeling that if he was available when it was their pick, he would be their guy. He comes from a background where he has solid mentorship from a number of former Sabres, and is playing in a program in Kitchener known for its excellent development.

We are glad to see that Philly saw what we saw in Morin. Morin is someone who is on the right track developmentally and we will continue to work with his team to continue his improvement. Hopefully in addition to his physical game, we will see him continue to harness the potential in his offensive game.

Finally, Tierney is a 2012 2nd round pick. Once considered a reach at that position, and we feel that in the year since the draft, he has developed his offensive game tremendously and has the makings of a great 3rd line checker who can contribute offensively."

Overall, despite what I would call a weak historic draft record, we continue the strategy of taking players with higher ceilings in our high picks, and combined it with the twist of picking the players from very solid junior player development teams. With this and time, we hope that this will translate to draft day success.

Bonus tidbit. Following trades/drafting from 2012 to now, the Lightning have 3 of the top Sabres prospects now in Grigorenko, Larsson, and Bailey.

Looking like the Sabres (and hopefully the CDCGML Lightning) are a team to be reckoned with in the future.

10. (*12*)Montreal (via St. Louis) - Max Domi

42. (*42*)Montreal (via Philadelphia) - Steve Santini

Pretty good day at the draft for the Habs, as Domi slipped 2 spots but Santini went in the exact spot that we picked him in. This, combined with the acquisition of former 1st-rounder Austin Watson, have the Canadiens very excited for next season.

Entry Level Contract: The Minnesota Wild have signed drafted defenseman Hampus Lindholm to a three year deal.

Hampus Lindholm: 3 years, $ 3.6 million dollar contract ( $ 1,200,000.00 per season ).

* annual base salary: $ 900,000.00, total signing bonus: $ 900,000.00

Entry Level Contract: The Minnesota Wild have signed drafted defenseman Ryan Murray to a three year deal.

Ryan Murray: 3 years, $ 6.75 million dollar contract ( $ 2,250,000.00 per season ).

* annual base salary: $ 900,000.00, total signing bonus: $ 4,050,000.00

Entry Level Contract: The Minnesota Wild have signed drafted defenseman Hampus Lindholm to a three year deal.

Hampus Lindholm: 3 years, $ 3.6 million dollar contract ( $ 1,200,000.00 per season ).

* annual base salary: $ 900,000.00, total signing bonus: $ 900,000.00

We were thrilled to get this young man at the 13th spot in last year's draft when he was subsequently selected at #6 by Anaheim. And we are thrilled to get him under contract now at what we feel is a good cap hit long term. We think Hampus is going to be a good player for us going forward.

Entry Level Contract: The Minnesota Wild have signed drafted defenseman Ryan Murray to a three year deal.

Ryan Murray: 3 years, $ 6.75 million dollar contract ( $ 2,250,000.00 per season ).

* annual base salary: $ 900,000.00, total signing bonus: $ 4,050,000.00

Like with Lindholm, we are thrilled to get Ryan under contract at what we feel is a great cap hit over the term of the contract. We believe that he will compete for a spot this season and that his combination of talents will be a huge boon to our blueline going forward.

With the need for offensive defencemen in the CDC league being a top consideration for all teams, being able to draft a player of this calibre helps us improve our defence significantly.

How did we do? ROUND 3 (*NHL DRAFT POSITION IN RED CAPS)

---------------------------------

61. (*48*)San Jose (via Carolina) - Zach Nastasiuk

62. (*59*)Winnipeg (via Calgary) - Eric Comrie

63. (*204*)Boston (via Anaheim) - Tyler Lewington

64. New Jersey (via Nashville) - Teddy Blueger

65. New Jersey (via Colorado) - Matt Grzelcyk

66. (*65*)Ottawa (via NY Rangers) - Adam Tambellini

67. Pittsburgh (via Columbus) - Michael Mersch

68. (*94*)Carolina (via Detroit) - Jackson Houck

69. (*69*)Nashville (via Montreal) - Nick Baptiste

70. (*51*)Nashville (via St. Louis) - Carl Dahlstrom

71. Vancouver (via Tampa Bay) - Matej Stransky

72. Philadelphia - Pavel Buchnevich

73. Tampa Bay (via Toronto) - Chris Tierney

74. (*136*)New Jersey (via Washington) - Viktor Crus Rydberg

75. (*38*)Florida (via Minnesota) - Connor Hurley

76. NY Islanders (via San Jose) - Brock McGinn

77. (*47*)Dallas - Tommy Vannelli

78. Toronto (via Phoenix) - Josh Leivo

79. St. Louis (via Ottawa) - Curtis Valk

80. Vancouver (via Chicago) - Seth Griffith

81. NY Islanders (via Pittsburgh) - Dillon Fournier

82. Vancouver (via Buffalo) - Anthony Camara

83. Vancouver (via Edmonton) - Andrey Pedan

84. Vancouver (via Boston) - Riley Barber

85. Vancouver (via Winnipeg) - Jimmy Vesey

86. Vancouver (via New Jersey) - Chris Calnan

87. Vancouver - Garret Ross

88. Vancouver (via Florida) - Taylor Leier

89. Los Angeles - Tyler Graovac

90. NY Islanders - Nick Moutrey

wow ... a lot of guys didn´t got drafted in real..specialy all the guys who got picked by vancouver or isnt it just updated

valk also found now "love" ..is he still eligible next season?

do you think schneids will backup marty next season? may they will share the starter job

Maybe, but...

Devils Say Brodeur Is Still Their Number 1 Goalie

The New Jersey Devils bit on one of the more interesting trader rumors to float around on a draft day full of movement between rosters. The Vancouver Canucks were shopping backup netminder Cory Schneider and despite having a legend in net, the Devils agreed to acquire Schneider in exchange for the ninth overall pick in the draft.

But while they gave up a high draft pick to get Schneider, the Devils say that adding another goalie doesn’t at all mean Martin Brodeur is going to be pushed out of the No. 1 role with the team.

basically what the trade means is that the Devils now have a viable backup to come in if Brodeur goes down with an injury again or to simply come in and give the future Hall of Famer a night off. Schneider backed up Roberto Luongo in Vancouver and saw some time but wasn’t named the starter like many thought he might be before last season started.

So while he’s not going to be improving his depth chart position he has improved his living condition as the Devils will give Schneider much more room to show his skills and will prime him to take over for Brodeur when he eventually steps away.

Kind of annoying how they constantly refer to him as a backup. Clearly he's not a backup anymore. So... guess I'm looking for a starting goalie.

Maybe, but...

Devils Say Brodeur Is Still Their Number 1 Goalie

Kind of annoying how they constantly refer to him as a backup. Clearly he's not a backup anymore. So... guess I'm looking for a starting goalie.

well this sucks for corey..and you too

finally the next season will give cory and you an answer..brodeur could get injured again...brodeur could play mediocre..we´ll see ;)

well this sucks for corey..and you too

finally the next season will give cory and you an answer..brodeur could get injured again...brodeur could play mediocre..we´ll see ;)

Yeah, today went all the way bad for me... Nino traded to a team that snuffs out offensive potential and Schneider relegated to one more year of backup duty.

On the up side, even Cory said that he really appreciates having been mentored by Lu and now by Marty..two of the ultimate best canadian keepers in the league. "Yeah I took over ffrom not one but two gold medal winning olympic goalies." has a nice sound to it.

Cory will be the new face of the devils franchise in very short order, and as was eluded to by some twitter comedian named strombone1 maybe next contract he will push for a #NOtradeclause.

wow ... a lot of guys didn´t got drafted in real..specialy all the guys who got picked by vancouver or isnt it just updated

valk also found now "love" ..is he still eligible next season?

Vancouver drafted plenty of players from previous drafts.....

Ahhh that explains a lot, i tried to check for every missing name from all 7 rounds today and no luck, but i was tired by then too. I will search last years and update the lists in the morning.

Best of luck in free agency folks. The draft was immense fun, and i love doing it a week early so we can see the outcomes ..oh what a difference a day makes, and a week!

Archived