The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

I get why he's doin it. If the best league in the world was in russia but north american players could make more money playing at home which league would most guys be playing in? He gets taxed 45% in jersey vs 13% in russia.

I hope the IIHF grows a backbone and doesn't allow him to play in any international competitions.

Excellent, M. Backlund signs in Calgary for 1.5m a year, two years and its a one way deal. He has made a great career choice, as this will buy him time to excel and prove the doubters wrong, or solidify his two way play on the 2nd and 3rd lines. For The CDCGML Rangers, we are thrilled to know one of our core pivots has a long term situation on the ice.

Surprised he signed so low to be honest. Figured he'd be worth at least $1 million more per season, especially on a team that needs skilled centers.

Surprised he signed so low to be honest. Figured he'd be worth at least $1 million more per season, especially on a team that needs skilled centers.

Agreed.... not used to seeing the Flames sign good contracts :P

I hope the IIHF grows a backbone and doesn't allow him to play in any international competitions.

at the very least I hope they refuse to allow him to play internationally IF he goes against his contract and plays for money anywhere..but if he truely retires from professional hockey, I say let him play amateur hockey for his country, or charities as he sees fit.

at the very least I hope they refuse to allow him to play internationally IF he goes against his contract and plays for money anywhere..but if he truely retires from professional hockey, I say let him play amateur hockey for his country, or charities as he sees fit.

He is signing with SKA in the KHL tomorrow....

The NHL made and is continuing to make a very big mistake in underestimating the KHL as a rival. If the KHL can ever get their crap together in terms of making it more desirable to play there and more comfortable etc. for the players, we could eventually see a shift to where it is not just Russians who go home to play but other big name guys as well.

Not sure what the NHL can do but they need to do something.

The KHL currently operates in Russia, Belarus, Kazahkstan, Latvia, Czech Republic, Croatia, Ukraine, Finland and Slovakia.

I'd say the NHL is really missing the boat.

We continue to fight over the US market when a 5 or 6 team division operating out of Stockholm, Helsinki, Prague, Frankfurt(TGC?), Oslo etc. would be the correct direction.

If the only thing holding us back is logistics then we deserve to lose Europe.

I get why he's doin it. If the best league in the world was in russia but north american players could make more money playing at home which league would most guys be playing in? He gets taxed 45% in jersey vs 13% in russia.

Bit of a different scenario , Bernard Tomic an Aussie Tennis player , we the Australian Taxpayer paid for his development at the Australian Institute of sport , supported him all the way till he turned professional , he then leaves Australia and becomes a resident of Monaco where has does not pay tax. he will take our money and support that puts him in the position to earn millions and then does not want to contribute his share to the country that helped him achieve his goals, greedy POS.

The KHL currently operates in Russia, Belarus, Kazahkstan, Latvia, Czech Republic, Croatia, Ukraine, Finland and Slovakia.

We continue to fight over the US market when a 5 or 6 team division operating out of Stockholm, Helsinki, Prague, Frankfurt(TGC?), Oslo etc. would be the correct direction.

Dolla dolla bills y'all.

He is signing with SKA in the KHL tomorrow....

oh man, i missed the news on that....terrible, but now that i read the article, sounds like the devils are not too mad about it.

""The Devils will have a $300,000 penalty applied to their salary cap for the next 12 years, according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.""

Frees them of 6.66million a year cap hit for years and years to come. I don't think they will put up much of a stink about it.

I totally agree with you here TM. They are missing a real opportunity due to stubborn and antiquated thinking. There is a whole area of the world that is actually interested in hockey.

The logistics excuse is just that, an excuse. There is ALWAYS a solution if they are willing to actually get their head out of their collective asses and find it. Meanwhile they attempt to grow the game in Phoenix.....ugh.

This is actually good for the sport. I'd love to see hockey evolve into a "global" sport. NHL vs. KHL

So, no I don't want to see the NHL expand overseas by creating a division but would prefer to see the NHL and KHL unite...Maybe have something like UEFA

Hopefully hockey becomes sort of like soccer in our lifetime.

Archived