The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Just loving Cassels game. He really excels playing with good players.

He could be a pro very soon as long as his frame is strong enough for the grind.

Another guy who just helps you win, ala Horvat. Really hope he makes it to the WJC this year and next with the states.

He could be a pro very soon as long as his frame is strong enough for the grind.

Another guy who just helps you win, ala Horvat. Really hope he makes it to the WJC this year and next with the states.

Its easy to succeed with good linemates, thats why damn near anyone gets a bump when they play with the sedins.

He won't be on the WJC team this year for the U.S. barring a flood of injuries, but next year is a possibility

I remember arguing with someone before this season that Cassels would be in contention for a spot on team USA. They said he had zero chance of making it.

Well well well. Looks who's 2nd in OHL scoring among American born players behind only Kerby Rychel. Pretty hard for them to ignore that.

Last year they had 8 players from the OHL on the team. Hartman and Rychel will definitely be on the team, but it's pretty hard to ignore Cassels with the numbers he's putting up and the two-way game he brings.

I remember arguing with someone before this season that Cassels would be in contention for a spot on team USA. They said he had zero chance of making it.

Well well well. Looks who's 2nd in OHL scoring among American born players behind only Kerby Rychel. Pretty hard for them to ignore that.

Last year they had 8 players from the OHL on the team. Hartman and Rychel will definitely be on the team, but it's pretty hard to ignore Cassels with the numbers he's putting up and the two-way game he brings.

I'm not going to go through every player on the probable WJC team, but suffice it to say, there are plenty of Americans who are playing just as well, in a tougher league, the NCAA, that are higher up the depth chart than Cassels.

Rychel plays for Canada internationally by the way, but that doesn't move Cassels up any further.

Its easy to succeed with good linemates, thats why damn near anyone gets a bump when they play with the sedins.

He won't be on the WJC team this year for the U.S. barring a flood of injuries, but next year is a possibility

He up's his game when he is playing with better players, and always has a tremendous effort level.

How many guys in the O have a game this year with 1 goal 2 first assists and a fight?

It's pretty hard to score while your in the box.

Even if you told me Cassels was going to play with Laughton and Dal Colle at the beginning of the season I wouldn't have expected him to be doing as well as he is.

Tonight he assisted on the 2-0 PP goal, took a penalty at the end of the 1st and it cost his team a goal in the second so he comes back, gets into a fight, scores about a minuet after getting out of the box, game gets tied up and he assists on the GWG two mins later.

Sounds easy to me.

How many guys in the O have a game this year with 1 goal 2 first assists and a fight?

It's pretty hard to score while your in the box.

I don't know, but let me find an even more obscure set of statistics to try to prove some point.

I'm just saying that you may be over valuing his progression since he has more tools around him, that can take attention away from him when he's on the ice.

I'm not going to go through every player on the probable WJC team, but suffice it to say, there are plenty of Americans who are playing just as well, in a tougher league, the NCAA, that are higher up the depth chart than Cassels.

Rychel plays for Canada internationally by the way, but that doesn't move Cassels up any further.

Team USA isn't as deep at forward as you seem to think. They usually have a good representation from the OHL too.

Cassels is number 1 in scoring in the OHL among team USA prospects, and on the second best team in the OHL. Their scouts will definitely consider him, they would be dumb not too.

A good comparison to him is Vincent Trochek who made team USA last year as a 3rd round pick from the OHL. He plays the same kind of game and put good numbers playing with a more highly touted Brandon Saad.

Team USA isn't as deep at forward as you seem to think. They usually have a good representation from the OHL too.

Cassels is number 1 in scoring in the OHL among team USA prospects, and on the second best team in the OHL. Their scouts will definitely consider him, they would be dumb not too.

A good comparison to him is Vincent Trochek who made team USA last year as a 3rd round pick from the OHL. He plays the same kind of game and put good numbers playing with a more highly touted Brandon Saad.

Well they rolled 4 lines last year at the WJC and won gold, so I'd say they were pretty deep, and have an impressive crop of recent draftees producing in a tougher league, the NCAA.

At center he's fighting Kerdiles, Compher, Hartman, O'Regan,Matteau, and Samuelsson for spots in the top 6 or 9 if he's even in that discussion. Andrew Copp will be the 4th C as a great checking guy. Also Jack Eichel is a wildcard to make it as an underager, as he is part of the NTDP program, and a top 3 pick candidate for the 2015 draft.

This argument is funny. DeNiro says "USA will consider him"... so not a definitive HE WILL MAKE THE TEAM statement.

canucklax makes a definitive HE WILL NOT BE ON THE TEAM statement.

hmm... I'm compelled to agree with DeNiro for the simple fact that it's pretty f---ing obvious Cassels will be someone they'll look at. You see his name on top of the scoresheets and of course they will see what's up. Scrubs dont put up points like that just cause their linemates are good. And even if that IS the case... well, all his linemates on team USA will be good.

Nope. Highest American scorer in the OHL wont be considered because he's only a 3rd rounder and plays on the first line so his points are skewed by ice-time and linemates. :rolleyes:

I guess Sedin shouldn't play for Sweden cause he plays with Sedin; nor should Sedin play for Sweden because he plays with Sedin. And forget about Kesler on team USA..... those guys are on the best line in the league... their stats are skewed. No way they make the team.

canucklax, stop trying. Cassels is a part of one of the best lines in the OHL. Of COURSE he will be considered.

What a joke :rolleyes:

I don't know, but let me find an even more obscure set of statistics to try to prove some point.

I'm just saying that you may be over valuing his progression since he has more tools around him, that can take attention away from him when he's on the ice.

I am saying you might be under valuing his progression since the point totals he has are not the only attribute to his game.

I can see if he had a lot of goals maybe he was getting more space from his team mates being good players, but he is the one finding them more often than not. Drawing defenders to himself and getting his team mates the puck in scoring areas.

Only time can really tell us what Cassels will be, but I'm enjoying his progression. If he can play well with good players at all levels then he could be a Burrows type of player at the NHL level. Pretty easy to do that.

The sedins make the line, and whoever the 3rd wheel is, becomes the benefactor, that was my point. Rychel and Dal Colle make the line, Cassels is the benefactor.

You can have him considered as much as you want, but he is going to be waiting in line for a job with the depth the US has

The sedins make the line, and whoever the 3rd wheel is, becomes the benefactor, that was my point. Rychel and Dal Colle make the line, Cassels is the benefactor.

You can have him considered as much as you want, but he is going to be waiting in line for a job with the depth the US has

He plays with Laughton, not Rychel.

Laughton does not have the play making ability of the Sedins. Not even close.

If you knew what kind of player Cassels is you'd know his points come from heart and hustle.

Also, I might be wrong on this, but I don't think Cassels is centring Laughton and Dal Colle, which means he could make it as a wing or a centre. He works really hard on the ice, and he worked just as hard in camp this year at the NHL level, got some praise from Comets coach Green, is it not plausible he could work his way onto team USA?

Generals’ Cassels forging own path to NHL

By Jason Menard

October 24th, 2013

Vancouver Canucks. Just over a decade later, another Cassels — his son, Cole Cassels — is hoping to make an impact on the west coast in the not-too-distant future.

“On draft day, after it happened, once we got back to the hotel we started reminiscing and talking about how odd it is and how cool it is,” the younger Cassels explained. Cole was drafted in the third round, 85th overall, of the 2013 NHL Draft by the Canucks, while father Andrew was a first-round selection 26 years earlier by the Montreal Canadiens.

Not surprisingly, with his father spending a 16-year career in the NHL, there’s bound to be some overlap.

“Obviously, we talked after main camp about how the experience went,” he said. “And how Daniel and Henrik [sedin] are still there and that they knew me when I was five or six.”

Growing up in the NHL family, Cole said he has memories of Vancouver from his father’s days with the Canucks.

“Just going to the rink and morning skates, then going on the ice after,” he said. “Going to, I think it was the General Motors Centre back then, and watching the game.”

This year, at the Canucks’ training camp, he started making some memories of his own.

“It was a good experience,” he said. “It was different than OHL hockey, that’s for sure. It’s a lot faster and you’re playing with men. It was a good experience and I had a good time with it.”

Andrew was known for his offensive gifts, but Cole admits he’s not the same type of player.

“I tried to play his style of game, but he’s a lot more skilled,” he explained. “I may be a little more rough than him.”

In 64 games last season, Cassels scored 15 goals and added 28 assists. He also showed a bit of an edge, amassing 61 penalty minutes during the season. This season, he’s averaging better than a point-per-game to date, with 14 points in 12 games. Unlike his father, Cassels is also averaging a penalty per game, with 24 penalty minutes in the first 12 matches.

While admitting his game focuses on defense and grit, he’s looking to show he’s a well-rounded player.

“I think I showed the defensive side of my game a lot over the first two years and now I want to show that I can be an offensive presence on the ice as well,” he said. “I want to put up some points but at the same time not letting goals in on the other end.”

And as he works towards his own NHL dream, he knows that there are those who won’t be able to look past his name. But far from avoiding it, he’s proud of it.

“You’re always going to have people who will say you’re just here because of your dad, but in the end I’m hoping to make a name for myself,” he said. “I kind of like having that name and it’s my family name and I own it.”

So only two players per line can make it? Yea, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Hey, I just got off the phone with Ryan Kesler. Apparently he thinks you're an idiot.

At center he's fighting Kerdiles, Compher, Hartman, O'Regan,Matteau, and Samuelsson for spots in the top 6 or 9 if he's even in that discussion. Andrew Copp will be the 4th C as a great checking guy. Also Jack Eichel is a wildcard to make it as an underager, as he is part of the NTDP program, and a top 3 pick candidate for the 2015 draft.

Hartman and Matteau both play wing. And O'regan is a bit of a stretch to say he he would be that much above Cassels.

None of those players are far and above Cassels. I think you're overrating the NCAA a tad.

Archived