The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Hartman and Matteau both play wing. And O'regan is a bit of a stretch to say he he would be that much above Cassels.

None of those players are far and above Cassels. I think you're overrating the NCAA a tad.

Its a much tougher league, with players up to 24, and most of them having to adjust to the faster speed of the game as freshmen. Hartmen and Matteau also can play center if needed

Cassels is a veteran of the OHL, where he can score against 16 and 17 year olds who play in loose defensive systems. Just look at Jensen's quote about how unstructured the league was, and that was part of the reason he went to europe.

So only two players per line can make it? Yea, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Take any linemate of theirs, they produce more with the sedins because of how much they open up the ice than with any other pair of linemates.

Its really basic, but you don't get it.

I never said that, all I said was its an easier league to play in.

Nice omission of info there, bud. Your comment of the OHL being an easier league to play in is one basis for your argument of why Cassels wont even get a look. And it's bunk!

Your other basis is that Cassels has good linemates. So did Kesler when playing with the Sedins (cuz let's face it, most of his success that season came off the powerplay with the twins), which you cropped out of my post you quoted. Yea, anybody who plays with good players like the Sedins will see an increase in their numbers. DERP. But sometimes, you get someone who also happens to play good enough hockey. You don't put up numbers like Cassels' just because your linemates are good. I already said that, but you're avoiding the issue.

What a joke. Are you a robot that is designed to say things that are stupid? Players from the OHL, who play with other good players, have made team USA before. Cassels will get a look, being the highest american scorer. Get over it.

I suppose Kesler wont even get a look for Team USA this year? Just because he is playing with the Sedins, and they open up his ice? I mean, Kesler is on pace for 40 goals this year again, but that's only because his line-mates are good, right? Nope. No Olympics for Kesler.

Cassels' numbers don't mean dirt cuz his linemates are better. Yup. Makes sense.

Its a much tougher league, with players up to 24, and most of them having to adjust to the faster speed of the game as freshmen. Hartmen and Matteau also can play center if needed

Cassels is a veteran of the OHL, where he can score against 16 and 17 year olds who play in loose defensive systems. Just look at Jensen's quote about how unstructured the league was, and that was part of the reason he went to europe.

Hmm, then why do so many more players in the NHL come from the OHL than the NCAA? Surely if it was such a better league, they would produce quite a bit more NHL talent right?

The fact is NCAA draft picks have been going down in the last 10 years while the number of OHL picks have continued to climb. Clearly scouts have recognized that it's just a better league to develop players in. It also gets players NHL ready much quicker than the NCAA due to the far superior coaching that exists in the OHL.

Last year when they won gold they had 8 players from the OHL vs 13 from the NCAA. Clearly team USA is changing their strategy too and it's working.

The OHL has some of the best young developing talent in the world playing there. Regardless of the age it's a place that top prospects can be compared to each other, and right now Cassels is up there with some of the best. The numbers speak for themselves. And he's hardly a veteran, he's 18. That's the average age of OHL players.

I think you should look at the facts before you say that Cassels has no chance of making the team.

At draft day when Gillis annouced Cassels was drafted by us, I was confused. I didn't know Cole existed, checked him on youtube. First impression was eh looks pretty decent kind of like Schroeder. The prospect tourney I thought he absoluetly lit it up, he is just so dam smart with the puck. Head up quick passes, very solid defensively and just a smart player. Am I ever impressed by management, completely off the board. I thought only Jay Feaster could do that.

At draft day when Gillis annouced Cassels was drafted by us, I was confused. I didn't know Cole existed, checked him on youtube. First impression was eh looks pretty decent kind of like Schroeder. The prospect tourney I thought he absoluetly lit it up, he is just so dam smart with the puck. Head up quick passes, very solid defensively and just a smart player. Am I ever impressed by management, completely off the board. I thought only Jay Feaster could do that.

MG out-Feaster'ed Jay Feaster

If the NCAA is such a tougher league and NCAA players are more advanced than CHL/OHL players, why isn't Team USA winning every single WJC?

Would not be surprised if Cassels gets considerations considering the tear he is on right now. But i wouldn't be surprised if he doesnt make the team.

With Cederholm off to the start he's having, we may have a few Canucks ks prospects to watch in the WJC this year.

The NCAA has 2 things to keep in mind...age of players. There are no 16 year olds playing in the NCAA and there are 22 year old playing. Makes a big difference. The NCAA plays 2 games a week generally and can play or practise player 6 days a week. So there's a lot of practise and fewer games. It suits some players and not others

Has there been any report that Cassels even wants to play for the US at the world juniors? From his prospect profile, he played for Team Ontario in the U-17 championships. The fact that he has never played for USA hockey internationally and was not invited to the USA evaluation camp in the summer means he is not even on the radar for USA - probably because he wants (or wanted) to play for Canada. The USA world junior camp eval roster had plenty of 3rd and 4th round picks from the 2013 draft invited, so if Cassels was intending to play for team USA you would think he would have received an invite.

The USA world junior camp eval roster had plenty of 3rd and 4th round picks from the 2013 draft invited, so if Cassels was intending to play for team USA you would think he would have received an invite.

This has been his breakout season. He was a third liner last year.

Of course he wasn't on their radar.

Archived