The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)NHL goalie rankings: Is Luongo still elite?

naslund.is.king

? How am I living in the past? You are the one, previously discussing about Luongo 2 years ago. The stats he put up in that year were pretty good? Probably the best from those years... Ever since that playoff run Luongo hasn't been elite, he doesn't put up stats like Quick and Lundqvist. < Those guys are elite goaltenders in todays NHL. I'm not talking about 5 years ago, buddy. I'm talking about today. You want to talk about 2 years when Luongo was elite, but now he isn't elite and you don't want to face it.

Quicks SV% was .909 this year. Continue to tell me how much you know about hockey.

The team as a whole hasn't been the same since the run. Not just Lu. Your defense falters.... guess who looks bad? How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?

Also I was referencing the fact that you say I am living in the past... I called out how you respond and I nailed it.

They could have been, but it was a shortened season so I guess it would be hard to argue if he would have put up the same stats if it was a 82 game season.

Watch next season, with a decent coach that will demand all these lazy players to play consistent defense, Luo won't have a problem putting up those numbers. Especially considering he'll be fighting for the starting spot in Sochi, he'll be extra motivated.

I have no problem with different opinions, I actually had a couple solid debates with dragonfruit/nit.nuck/even variable on these boards that all ended with figurative fist bumps and cheers. What I have a problem with is the name calling and the negativity. Everything I said in my post is nothing short of the truth.

I get called an "idiot" and told that I know nothing about hockey for my opinions on these boards, but I don't let it get to me. It's just text on a screen. Just ignore them if they affect you that much. You're right though that a lot of people come off as huge bigots here and my first topic here was full of "Oh, you're an idiot if you think Schroeder doesn't fit on this team anymore" and smartass remarks. Seems like a regular theme on these forums but I love having arguments with people who respect my opinion.

Quicks SV% was .909 this year. Continue to tell me how much you know about hockey.

The team as a whole hasn't been the same since the run. Not just Lu. Your defense falters.... guess who looks bad? How would you like a job where, every time you make a mistake, a red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?

Also I was referencing the fact that you say I am living in the past... I called out how you respond and I nailed it.

The only thing you are nailing is your false statement of 18,000 people booing. This year was a 48 game season, I'm not going to sweat it, Quick has a ring, and a Conn Smythe trophy. Something that Luongo doesn't have, kind of speaks for it self right there. I'm not going to say anything about a 48 game season.

? How am I living in the past? You are the one, previously discussing about Luongo 2 years ago. The stats he put up in that year were pretty good? Probably the best from those years... Ever since that playoff run Luongo hasn't been elite, he doesn't put up stats like Quick and Lundqvist. < Those guys are elite goaltenders in todays NHL. I'm not talking about 5 years ago, buddy. I'm talking about today. You want to talk about 2 years when Luongo was elite, but now he isn't elite and you don't want to face it.

Regular season stats:

Quick: 2.45 GAA, .902 SV%

Luongo: 2:56 GAA, .907 SV%

That's the difference between elite goaltenders? Okay.

The only thing you are nailing is your false statement of 18,000 people booing. This year was a 48 game season, I'm not going to sweat it, Quick has a ring, and a Conn Smythe trophy. Something that Luongo doesn't have, kind of speaks for it self right there. I'm not going to say anything about a 48 game season.

Yeah, guess what else Quick has? A team that can actually score 'when it matters'

<_< It's a Jacques Plante quote...

And "ya but that was in the past, I'm talking about today" he just isn't putting up elite numbers anymore.

That is the point I'm getting at... The fact that Quick gets a look the other way when he does poorly. The reason? His fans don't collapse around him bashing him... They say "the kings lost to the hawks". Or with Rask.

"The Bruins melted down and lost to the Blackhawks at the end of that game"

Regular season stats:

Quick: 2.45 GAA, .902 SV%

Luongo: 2:56 GAA, .907 SV%

That's the difference between elite goaltenders? Okay.

If you are talking about the 48 game season, it isn't something to argue you about, but if you want to see stats for a 2011-12 season which had 82 games in it. Here is some stats.

Quick: 1.95 GAA, .925%

Luongo: 2.41 GAA, .919%

Playoffs:

Quick: 1.41 GAA .946%

Luongo: 3.59 GAA .891%

Stats speak for themselves.

Yeah, guess what else Quick has? A team that can actually score 'when it matters'

He also shows up when it matters too. You know? Game 7 SCF?

<_< It's a Jacques Plante quote...

And "ya but that was in the past, I'm talking about today" he just isn't putting up elite numbers anymore.

Ok.

Is that your arguement?

If you are talking about the 48 game season, it isn't something to argue you about, but if you want to see stats for a 2011-12 season which had 82 games in it. Here is some stats.

Playoffs:

Ok.

Is that your arguement?

Lol @ the stats. I thought we weren't talking 2 years ago? And look at the defense too, top-6.

And Game 7 SCF? The series vs NJD ended in 6 ....

Lol @ the stats. I thought we weren't talking 2 years ago? And look at the defense too, top-6.

And Game 7 SCF? The series vs NJD ended in 6 ....

My stats are for 11-12. The last 82 game season, that's what my stats are by. And my game 7 SCF was directed to Luongo.

Edit: Our defense was arguably better that year.

Shake your bloody head my friend.

If he was not elite he would not be even considered to represent Canada in the Olympics. And I am talking about today with that comment. Any comments in that regard coming from a person who self professes he knows all about elite goalies.

You are still living in the past with your memories about Chicago or Boston. Better catch up to the rest of the world or you are going to be held in the later years for good. For God's sake man get past the past it is devouring your sense of reasoning.

You have no argument other than Luongo has not won a Stanley Cup. I can excrete a better argument than that just by eating a can of alphabet soup. Get real. Being a Stanley cup winning goalie does not come close to suggesting other goalies are not elite. That is a figment of ones imagination and a very moronic opinion or statement at best. Can you not do better than that? You seem to be the smart one here so one would expect a better argument than the petty one you are trying to peddle.

Winning a Stanley Cup is a team effort and when fools start to realize that fact, they may become more tolerant and less likely to look for scape goats that don't fit into your favorite class of players.

Playoffs:

Ok.

Is that your arguement?

-_-

So it's okay to use Lu's shortened season against him but not Quick...

Lu's Stanley cup year is just a tad worse than Quicks. Is Quick the better goalie? Of course he is, he's the 2nd best in the league. They both had their numbers drop after the Cup run. It's one year apart yes, but the trend is the same.

Quick also had the better team in my opinion.. LA is built for play-off hockey.

Ok.

Is that your arguement?

My argument was, it's easy to blame the goalie.

My stats are for 11-12. The last 82 game season, that's what my stats are by. And my game 7 SCF was directed to Luongo.

Look ahead for the next 82 game season when Lou proves you wrong. Are you going to acknowledge the fact we didn't score a SINGLE goal in Game 7, we had a 1.14 GPG average in the finals.. that would mean Luongo would've had to register a shutout every game for us to win.

Shake your bloody head my friend.

If he was not elite he would not be even considered to represent Canada in the Olympics. And I am talking about today with that comment. Any comments in that regard coming from a person who self professes he knows all about elite goalies.

You are still living in the past with your memories about Chicago or Boston. Better catch up to the rest of the world or you are going to be held in the later years for good. For God's sake man get past the past it is devouring your sense of reasoning.

You have no argument other than Luongo has not won a Stanley Cup. I can excrete a better argument than that just by eating a can of alphabet soup. Get real. Being a Stanley cup winning goalie does not come close to suggesting other goalies are not elite. That is a figment of ones imagination and a very moronic opinion or statement at best. Can you not do better than that? You seem to be the smart one here so one would expect a better argument than the petty one you are trying to peddle.

Winning a Stanley Cup is a team effort and when fools start to realize that fact, they may become more tolerant and less likely to look for scape goats that don't fit into your favorite class of players.

Yet you are talking about the Olympics, lol.

He doesn't put him elite stats, look at Quick and Lundqvist, 11-12 season. Their stats were alot better than Luongos, because they are elite goaltenders. Luongo will tell you he isn't the same elite goalie he was.

Arguably? No way... Our defense was probably the best in the league.

He doesn't put him elite stats, look at Quick and Lundqvist, 11-12 season. Their stats were alot better than Luongos, because they are elite goaltenders. Luongo will tell you he isn't the same elite goalie he was.

Okay what about 12-13? Also I'm damn sure if you asked Luongo if he thought he was average you would get

:P He'd probably tell you he thinks he's one of the best.

Look ahead for the next 82 game season when Lou proves you wrong. Are you going to acknowledge the fact we didn't score a SINGLE goal in Game 7, we had a 1.14 GPG average in the finals.. that would mean Luongo would've had to register a shutout every game for us to win.

I'll wait.

right, but then again Yzerman believes differently.

I think he's talking about the upcoming olympics.

So because I face the reality it makes me bias? Yeah ok.

What you define as reality might not even make the common sense level. It is obvious you are a staunch Canuck fan and that is great stuff, however you need to understand the team concept much better to form a less biased opinion on any player. Injuries, suspensions and poor play all contributed to the loss against Boston. It was just not Luongo' s play itself. Maybe you should be also singling out Edler, Bieksa and a few of the boys who left him hanging out to dry on several of the goals you believe we're totally his responsibility.

Archived