The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)NHL goalie rankings: Is Luongo still elite?

naslund.is.king

Am I the only one that is unbelievably sick of the word "elite" already?

Shut up!!!

If elite means greasy, than yes Luongo is guilty of being Elite otherwise he is a good goalie in a highly competitive league and market with a Lolzzz twitter account.

Nothing more.

If you don't have anything constructive to say about the topic, you probably shouldn't post. Calling Luongo names and insulting other posters is just trolling. We get that you don't like Luongo, but he's our goalie and we need to stand by him rather than trash talk him.

It's okay to believe he not elite anymore, but it is also my right and my opinion that he is still elite in this league. I'm okay with people disagreeing, just be prepared when someone has a counter point... Have a good rebuttal rather than calling me his his agent or telling people to shut up. We are as entitled as you are.

The trouble isn't Lu letting in 2 goals and the team losing, the trouble is Lu letting in 3-8 and the team losing. How many 2-1 or 2-0 games have the Canucks lost in the playoffs in recent memory?

How many play-off games since the SCF has Luongo let in more than 3 goals??

Also 3 goals should not be the deciding factor of every game. Also how many of those goals did Luongo have a chance on? How many of them were break-aways or really solid one timers? Not every goal is save-able.

What about Couture picking Schneiders blocker from 20+ feet out?

If you don't have anything constructive to say about the topic, you probably shouldn't post. Calling Luongo names and insulting other posters is just trolling. We get that you don't like Luongo, but he's our goalie and we need to stand by him rather than trash talk him.

It's okay to believe he not elite anymore, but it is also my right and my opinion that he is still elite in this league. I'm okay with people disagreeing, just be prepared when someone has a counter point... Have a good rebuttal rather than calling me his his agent or telling people to shut up. We are as entitled as you are.

Nothing wrong with what sneer posted and he even said Lou was good. There is no way Lou is still elite and your just reliving the past. Not that he can't be again but at the moment and over the past few years he's not.

Also 3 goals should not be the deciding factor of every game. Also how many of those goals did Luongo have a chance on? How many of them were break-aways or really solid one timers? Not every goal is save-able.

Still after Cory? LOL he doesn't play for us anymore you can drop it.

Every goalie has let in some bad goals, every goalie has cost his team games. Elite goalies steal series where you are not the best team and still win. Cory is not elite yet because he has yet to do this as well. Lu has been the best player in many games to be certain, but he has been the worst in just as many or more games, and elite goalies steal many more games than they cost you.

Every goalie has let in some bad goals, every goalie has cost his team games. Elite goalies steal series where you are not the best team and still win. Cory is not elite yet because he has yet to do this as well. Lu has been the best player in many games to be certain, but he has been the worst in just as many or more games, and elite goalies steal many more games than they cost you.

Luo has far more great games than terrible games. But that's not even the point. The point is that "elite" teams don't need their goalies to steal games because they earn the win.

So, all this talk about whether or not Luo (or Cory, when he was still here) being "elite" and "elite" meaning a goalie who steals games is pointless. Yes, we need our goalie to be good, but we need our team to be good too. If our team needs the goalie to steal more than the occasional a game or two, then they're not doing their jobs!

So, would you rather have an "elite" goalie who has to steal entire playoff series, or an "elite" team that earns them? Personally, I prefer the latter and say we stop blaming the goalie(s) for not single-handedly winning a team sport and start calling for a full team effort.

Still after Cory? LOL he doesn't play for us anymore you can drop it.

:S pretty sure that's the 1st shot I've ever taken at Cory... I really like Schneids I even bought his Millionaires Jersey. My point was people are so quick to fault Lu for a loss but when Cory lost it was the Canucks.

Luongo stole us Nashville with Kesler, His stellar preformance and robbing Saad?(Sharp?) in OT game 7 stole us the series and Lu stole 3 games in the SCF outright... He lost Van Game 3 and 6 in my opinion. Game 4 was just weak play overall by the Canucks and game 7 Lu did what he could, once again a failure as a whole team.

Lu also gave the Canucks every chance to win those first 2 games against SJS, even if he only let 1 in in the 1st game.. .Our only goal was off Raffi Torres. Reffing, diving and undisciplined Canucks was the story of that series... Not Lu, he should have started games 3 and 4.

Luo has far more great games than terrible games. But that's not even the point. The point is that "elite" teams don't need their goalies to steal games because they earn the win.

So, all this talk about whether or not Luo (or Cory, when he was still here) being "elite" and "elite" meaning a goalie who steals games is pointless. Yes, we need our goalie to be good, but we need our team to be good too. If our team needs the goalie to steal more than the occasional a game or two, then they're not doing their jobs!

So, would you rather have an "elite" goalie who has to steal entire playoff series, or an "elite" team that earns them? Personally, I prefer the latter and say we stop blaming the goalie(s) for not single-handedly winning a team sport and start calling for a full team effort.

Exactly, Grant Fuhr was considered "elite" but with-out his team backing him up with goals (and cocaine) he would not have faired well...Not knock Fuhr... but he could let in 4-5 goals because his team could score 6-7

Toronto/Eastern bias yet again.

I was all set to agree...but I just found this other article by Simmons which says:

TIER 1: CAPABLE STARTER

Cory Schneider, New Jersey Devils – We think Cory Schneider will take over as the full-time goalie, but it appears the Devils may be looking at a 50/50 split with Martin Brodeur. Schneider is the better goalie at this point in his career, but Brodeur’s experience and history could allow him to start the year as the No. 1 goalie. You don’t often give up top-10 picks for backups.

So maybe he is seeing the obvious when it comes to Cory after all. Maybe he was just spreading out his goalie opinions to fill website space and/or fulfill quota?

Guest Dasein

Elite goaltenders don't lose their starting position. Period.

Let's watch what traspires in New Jersey. Will you consider Brodeur not elite if what is probable happens?

Actually I guess he already isn't, because last I checked, he lost his starting position on Team Canada to some guy named Roberto Luongo in 2010, who won the Olympic Gold for us.

Maybe, just maybe, did you consider that we had 2 elite goaltenders? It's not like the battle between Luongo and Schneider was a plug battle like the Scrivens vs. Reimer... It was a former Vezina and Hart candidate vs. possible future Vezina candidate. And arguably, Luongo outplayed Schneider in the last outing vs SJS. So who's to say Schneider didn't lose his?

Anyway, I just think this rigid type of thinking is a result of speaking first without actually thinking.

Louie will def show everyone what is up in the coming season. Pff how are half these guys above Lou ? Multi 40 game winner and still no respect. Did anyone see the cover of the recent hockey news in the upper left hand corner ? "What up now Bobby Lou ?" The hockey media is a complete joke and the analysts we have had to stomach over the past decade is criminal.

Then maybe you should create a topic asking if the team is elite because pretty sure this topic is whether people still consider Lu elite.

Let's watch what traspires in New Jersey. Will you consider Brodeur not elite if what is probable happens?

Actually I guess he already isn't, because last I checked, he lost his starting position on Team Canada to some guy named Roberto Luongo in 2010, who won the Olympic Gold for us.

Maybe, just maybe, did you consider that we had 2 elite goaltenders? It's not like the battle between Luongo and Schneider was a plug battle like the Scrivens vs. Reimer... It was a former Vezina and Hart candidate vs. possible future Vezina candidate. And arguably, Luongo outplayed Schneider in the last outing vs SJS. So who's to say Schneider didn't lose his?

Anyway, I just think this rigid type of thinking is a result of speaking first without actually thinking.

I don't consider Brodeur elite at this stage of his career. He has had a brilliant and elite overall career, but as of now he is the same as Lu, an average NHL goalie.

Broduer isn't elite, he hasn't been since he hit 35 years of age. But he is probably the best goalie to ever play goalie.

Anyways, I think Luongo isn't elite anymore but if he has a good bounce back year I would still consider him a starting/good goaltender. He isn't in the same class as Lundqvist, Quick, everybody knows this but it seems that some of your homerism is getting infront of the reality.

Then maybe you should create a topic asking if the team is elite because pretty sure this topic is whether people still consider Lu elite.

The thread is about a Sportsnet article and a number of issues have been discussed as a result, including what "elite" even means, so I don't think questioning whether or not our goalie should be "elite" by the "regularly steals games" definition is outside the bounds of the conversation at hand.

But thanks for the pointless snarkiness. Really set the example for a solid on point contribution to the discussion.

Archived