The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013-14 Lines according to HockeyTheMagazine

MattFraser

Not bad, but I think if Horvat makes the team it's for 3rd line center or 1st/2nd line wing and not 3rd line wing.

I'm ok with that 3rd line to start the season (horvat center and schroeder wing) but if we want to be contenders, that can't last all season.

But unless he has a really bad camp i'm sure Kassian gets a shot at the top 6 to start the season, then he might end up on the fourth.

But all those projected line-up and "prediction" is useless because there are always a few surprises/disapointment/injuries at camp which completely change the lineup.

Who is HockeyTheMagazine? I've never heard of these guys.

Their lines don't make sense. If they are going by ranking based on player position how is Horvat, who to my knowledge hasn't played on the right side, ahead of Kassian who has more professional games under his belt? If maybe they had Schroeder has the 3rd RW and Richardson as 3C I could buy that they just went by organizational ranking of player position.

And if they followed any type of Canucks news, they would have at least heard that Torts has always been a coach that likes to work his lines in pairings, like Sutter in LA. And his plan starting the season was to have the Sedins as a pair and Kesler-Burrows as another pair and try out different partners for them.

Don't know why almost everyone thinks Kassian on the first line atm, he hasn't proved enough to be projected to be there, well at least in my opinion. And I know, he scored like four or five goals in the beginning of last season, but that is not enough.

The only players that really stand out for me are Horvat as the third line right winger and Alberts not being in the lineup at all.

I don't think that Horvat has ever played right wing so that's a strange spot for him to start his NHL career. Left wing or center would be my guess for him, if he even makes the team.

Alberts should be on the roster and he should sit ahead of Weber and Corrado (and Andersson) on the D depth chart.

As for the rest of the players, they're actually pretty sensible, if based solely on performance and experience.

The top six of Sedin-Sedin-Burrows and Higgins-Kesler-Hansen makes sense because those are the Canucks' top offensive producers at even strength and all those players have significant experience in NHL games played and games played with the Canucks.

Of course, you can question Kassian on the 4th, due to organizational aims for him and what management has suggested will be his role in the team's future. There's a good chance he'll get time with the twins. However, in terms of results and experience, he's still pretty far below the top-six that's listed.

Booth is also questionable playing outside of the top-six but if we're talking strictly results and stats, he hasn't had nearly as good production (over the last year, the last three years, or even the last five years) as any of the listed top-six wingers (Sedin, Burrows, Higgins, and Hansen).

Schroeder is just a guess for third line center. That role is open for competition and will be decided at camp.

The rest of the bottom-six and the spares are just plug-in guesses from the remaining players. Too much uncertainty to really know where anyone will actually slot in until after we've seen a full training camp and preseason.

As for the defense, once again it's based on performance and experience (other than missing Alberts).

The top-four are pretty much set. Tanev is number 5 and the #6D is the only question mark. Obviously, they missed the fact that Alberts is actually under contract and as a natural left side D, he should be nearly a lock for the number 6. In his absence, Weber simply has more NHL games and more production than Corrado, so he gets the nod for the final spot.

Andersson is just a random guess from the prospects depth on D.

Archived