The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boiler room high pitch humming (need help.. Plumbers?)

RottenCanuck22

I moved in to a basement suite of a brand new home early August, we have natural gas heating and water heating, for the first month there was no noise but now there is like a high pitch humming coming from the boiler room.. It's going to be unbearable to have this constant noise and I'll have to move out.

I had the landlord come take a look and he said "oh it's because its getting cooler the boilier is working harder, nothing we can do...". The boiler had just stopped working the other week and we needed a plumber to come fix it but I'm wondering if something else has gone wrong with it now too. Someone mentioned to me it could be cavitating or kettling?

Is it possible that in a brand new, pretty nice home they would have installed a boiler that would CONSTANTLY have a high pitch humming noise coming from it? The wall on the opposite side rumbles a bit too.

Either it's a fixable problem (from a plumber i'm hoping), or I need to get the hell out of here.. The walls are supposedly soundproofed and it's still loud enough to drive me crazy..

Any thoughts?

edit: I'm also in a self contained suite and have no access to the boiler room to see what type it is, how loud it really is or anything like that. Obviously I'm going to need a qualified pro to come take a look but a boiler tank should not be making this constant noise should it?

If it's making a high-pitched sound that's that loud, it's most likely coming from the temperature/pressure relief valve. If that's the case, a professional should be looking at it ASAP as the tank would be over-pressurized, which is a safety concern.

being a new home,they could be using a boiler with a power vented flue, which has a fan motor which could be on its way out. if it is that then once it fails the system wont work so the owner will have to fix it then for sure.. could be many other things aswell but without a picture of the setup we all can guess at it..

Over time the spring in the relief valve gets weak and can no longer hold the pressure it was calibrated too. It probably hasn't been recertified in a long time.

The fact that it is leaking is actually the best case for a pop valve failure. It's designed to be the weak spot in the boiler so if it ever did become over pressured the pop valve would open up and release it rather than blowing up the vessel.

Other thing it could be is the high pressure limit is set too close to the pop valve discharge limit.

It's a brand new home less than a year old.. the boiler stopped working the other week, and a plumber did come to "fix" it, the waters being heated up now and it seems to be working but I bet there's something still wrong with it...

A boiler should never CONSTANTLY be humming that loud right? I mean, it's not super loud or anything just very noticable and annoying..

Archived