The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-Signing] Oilers ink Nuge 7 more years

I suppose this is another of MacT's bold moves.

The skill ceiling for RNH is certainly high but those shoulder issues would make me nervous about giving him 6 per for the next 8 years.

Although i'm sure flipping him for picks or maybe even a defenseman (if the oilers want to do something truly crazy like build up their blueline) is always a possibility.

Nazem Kadri wasn't a #1 overall pick, nor was PK Subban. And the latter's bridge deal turned out to be a pretty epic mistake.

I'm just going to post this again.

9796780124_a9dbcfdf5e_o.png

That is a chart of every 2nd contract handed out to a top 5 pick since the 2nd Bettman Lockout.

Now, look at all of the ones that are 5 years or longer. Ask yourself, "which of those turned out to be a bad deal"? My answer is "none of them". Granted, a couple of the recent ones are probably too early to tell.

Ask yourself, "which of those contracts would the team have liked to extend for an extra year or two at the same cap hit?" My answer is "all of them", with the possible exception of Ovy and Backstrom only because those two are long enough as it is.

These deals tend to work out okay.

-CP

oilers rushed their star prospects into the league and it has given them injured players that sign big deals a few years earlier. imagine if they had grown these kids in the minors for a few years and brought them up ready as a group stronger, cheaper and used they extra cash to add some star vets.

oilers rushed their star prospects into the league and it has given them injured players that sign big deals a few years earlier. imagine if they had grown these kids in the minors for a few years and brought them up ready as a group stronger, cheaper and used they extra cash to add some star vets.

Archived