The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stars vs Canucks Playoffs Game 7 Empty Net Goals - I BELIEVE!

Herberts Vasiljevs

One night before the season opener and I'm feeling super nostalgic!

Remember this?? :

WOWWW. I just watched this for the first time in a few years and I was tearing up.

I have a very similar feeling heading into this season as I did during the 2006-2007 season. This was a year where we had very low expectations as the glory days of the WCE were put to a rest.

Enter a few unlikely commodities that made a severe/that one slight impact:

AV (brought in a new system and played Luongo pretty well every night.)

Bieksa (unexpectedly put up a 40+ point season and gave the Canucks that extra edge.)

Cowan (a cult classic here in Vancouver, we all know why ;) )

and more....

and no, Bulis, Smolinski and SAAANTAAALA don't count :shock:

Gillis brought in some players (etc. Richardson, Santiroelli) that have a history in their respected roles that Torts is placing them in to start the season and deserve that second chance to prove that they have a bonafide place in the NHL. I believe!

No more of this passive BS coaching style that began to grow on this core. Torts is bringing in a whole to approach to the game this team plays. Hard forechecking and shooting that damn puck are two things this team has sorely been lacking and Torts is bringing this mindset to the team. Torts demands accountability from all his players. He's an honest guy, and he'll be playing the players that are playing at the top of their game. I believe!

A motivated Luongo, a healthy Kesler, a healthy team, a MOTIVATED team, in fact, moremotivated than ever to win the Stanley Cup. I BELIEVE!

Things change over time. Especially after 8 years.

This core in 2006-2007 was past it's due date. No one was really sure yet that the Sedins were ready to take the reigns as this team's leading goal scorers. Pieces like Ed Jovanovski and Jarkko Ruutu were replaced with Mitchell and Santala, would they live up to be the key pieces needed to win in this league? Was AV the right fit? Would Luongo actually be THE GUY for Vancouver to depend on most?

These were all questions that had no answers to them. Of course, some of these answers were positive, others negative. Luongo an obvious for the positive, and Santala, well, what do you think?

Hard to believe that the starting F lineup in game 7 vs. the Stars was Naslund - Morrison - COWAN! That was 7 and a half years ago.

My point is, I can't predict the outcome of what will happen this season. No one can make such assumptions and be absolutely right. But I've learned something. Even in the most uncertain of times, all you have to do is "sit back, look on, and enjoy the ride!" Everyone thought this team didn't have what it took to make the playoffs that season, but what did we do? Knocked off a contender in 7 games! No big deal....

Let's see how this team does in this new Torts era, just as we anxiously did when AV took over. I think most of us were pleasantly surprised with how that turned out. It's moments like those that make me very proud to be a Canucks fan. Enjoy the game tomorrow everyone!

Cheers, GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

Archived