The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey in Utica....again

Utica Fan

I posted this comment on the Comet's fan club face book page and after I posted it, I thought I would share it here with you. Feel free to post your opinions.

Being a new year, I thought it would be interesting to post some opinions, from the fans point of view, on what you would like to see the Comet's accomplish, in their inaugural season, by their last game. Here is my "I'd like to see list".

I'd like to see the Comet's:

Finish with at least a .500 record.

Finish above, at least, 3 other teams in points so as to not finish in last place.

Have at least 1 Comet player finish in the top 10 of any category.

For the fans, I'd like to see the Comets finish AHEAD of, at least, 6 or 7 other "established" franchises in attendance, especially Albany. Why? For 2 reasons: The Devils left Utica because of attendance and to prove the nay-Sayers wrong, that AHL hockey CAN work in Utica.

Those are my hopes for a successful season. What's yours?

I'd like to see them go on a 7 game winning streak, maybe not possible, as a lot of it comes down to luck sometimes.

None the less it would generate a lot of positive buzz and give the players a significant lift in confidence.

Also would like to see Jensen take some steps forward. He doesn't need to blow everyone away, just make some good progress in his development. Show some glimmers of what we all know he can be.

I'd like to see this team score at least 4 goals in a game, often. Then maybe they could rip off some wins. If they can run the rest of the season winning 2 out of 3 or 3 out of 5 then a playoff chance would be possible. Winning builds confidence...confidence wins games.

Question for Canucks fans. With the Olympic break about a month away, which Canuck players, not playing in the Olympics, could, realistically, have a chance of heading to Utica? I know there are certain contract and league restrictions for this, that I'm not familiar with. That being said, who would be eligible to come down? Seems like, with all the recent call-ups, they are more like the Vancouver Comets.

Question for Canucks fans. With the Olympic break about a month away, which Canuck players, not playing in the Olympics, could, realistically, have a chance of heading to Utica? I know there are certain contract and league restrictions for this, that I'm not familiar with. That being said, who would be eligible to come down? Seems like, with all the recent call-ups, they are more like the Vancouver Comets.

It's very possible that the Canucks send players that are eligible down to Utica. If Schroeder is healthy, I assume he'd be assigned on a conditioning assignment. Corrado for sure. I don't know if Kassian is waiver eligible. He is still on his ELC and I believe players on their ELC are waive exempt under the new CBA but don't quote me on that.

Vancity Comets is pretty accurate, if the team keep a Underperformed Torts did mention today that he'd be calling up more people from Utica but wasn't sure who to call.

OK, so the million dollar question is this: Can someone (or 2 or 3) out there, please explain to me, in simple English, what exactly goes into assigning a player to the AHL? What can a AHL team have on their roster, as far as players, and why? What do waivers have to do with player reassignments? Forgive the ignorance, I'm learning. Never followed a team this in-depth before.

OK, so the million dollar question is this: Can someone (or 2 or 3) out there, please explain to me, in simple English, what exactly goes into assigning a player to the AHL? What can a AHL team have on their roster, as far as players, and why? What do waivers have to do with player reassignments? Forgive the ignorance, I'm learning. Never followed a team this in-depth before.

Ill try.

Players have two type of contracts: One known as the one way and the other known as the two way. If a player(one way contract) is on the NHL roster and they are assigning to the AHL that means they have to go through waivers where they can be picked up by any team. If they are 2 way(Mostly prospects have 2 way) they can send them down and the player wont go through waivers.

A player usually gets assigned to the AHL mostly if: they are not good enough, want to waive a contract, roster spot, conditioning stint. You arent going to see Crosby get sent down ever.

If the NHL team recalls a player they dont have to go through waivers. Even if they have one way.

U might be thinking how does a one way player get in the AHL?

1) They clear Waivers 2) Conditioning stint 3) They are sent before a certain date at the start of the season.

Probably none, they usually get a break.

Maybe Kassian or Dalpe but chances are low.

Ill try.

Players have two type of contracts: One known as the one way and the other known as the two way. If a player(one way contract) is on the NHL roster and they are assigning to the AHL that means they have to go through waivers where they can be picked up by any team. If they are 2 way(Mostly prospects have 2 way) they can send them down and the player wont go through waivers.

This is actually not true, it is a common misconception that the type of contract affects whether or not a player has to go through waivers, it does not.

A 1-way contract simply means that player x is getting his full money that is in his contract, regardless of if he's in the NHL or AHL. If a player signs a two-way contract, he has an NHL salary and an AHL salary, so his paycheck depends on where he's playing. Example:

Player A has a 1-way contract worth 750K AAV. Player B has a 2-way contract worth 750K AAV in the NHL, and 40K in the AHL.

If player A is in the NHL, he makes 750K. If he gets sent to the AHL, he still makes 750K. Now, if player B is in the NHL, he makes 750K. But, if he gets sent down to the AHL, he only makes 40K.

In order for a player to be eligible for waivers, there are a number of variables, which include: salary, age, NHL experience, when they signed their first contract, etc. I don't know the exact numbers for all this, but I know that those are some of the considerations. I'm sure it's all explained fully somewhere on Capgeek, where I'm sure you can also find out which Canuck players do not need to pass through waivers.

Hope that clears it up.

This is rather complicated but I'll do my best to explain.

AHL rosters. Can be comprised of the following:

Players on standard PTO

These are players signed by the AHL club that are trying out for the team. Usually these contracts can last up to 25 games (I think) players on these type of contracts are solely associated to the AHL club and no other NHL club. A NHL club may sign the player if they are interested because they are technically still a free agent. These contracts do not count toward a NHL teams 50 contracts because they are not related to any NHL clubs.

Player signed to a standard AHL contract

These are players signed by the AHL club for whatever the length of their contract, 1, 2, 3 b or however many years. These players can be sent between the ECHL - AHL without any problems but are unable to be sent between the NHL - AHL because they are not property of any NHL club. These players do not affect a NHL clubs 50 contracts.

Players sign to a NHL contract

These are players that are signed to an NHL team and have been assigned to a affliate AHL team. These are players can be moved between the NHL - AHL as well as the AHL - ECHL. This can include players on entry level contracts or standard nhl contracts.

Players on loan

NHL clubs and AHL clubs may loan players to other AHL teams. This is an uncommon practice and usually involves players that are on standard AHL contracts but it does happen to some players on NHL contracts. Unfortunately I don't have the details on the how and why of this type of transactions.

-Any player drafted out of the CHL has to be at least 20 years of age to be eligible to play in the AHL, this is due to the agreement in place between the CHL and NHL.

-players drafted overseas and out of the US program may played in the AHL before the age of 20. There is no mimimun age limit for these players.

Ok, thanks to all for your answers. I'm new to the Canucks, and seeing how we haven't had a AHL team here in 20 years, there has never been any reason for me to pay attention to these rosters and transactions. It does clear up a bunch of questions I had. There are some people on the Comets page who ask why certain players cant come to Utica to give this team a boost. I had to "butt in" to inform them that Utica is here to provide and condition players for Vancouver, not the other way around. I can take info from your posts to inform them about why such and such can't come to Utica.

Are these guidelines in place to keep teams equally balanced or is it just to ensure players are treated (paid) fairly? Is there a certain amount of players that can be assigned to the AHL franchise at 1 time?

What about conditioning? Could it be possible that, say, a player like Roberto Luongo could actually be assigned to Utica to re-hab the groin injury?

Sorry for the ?'s , it's all new to me

Any player can be assigned to the AHL on a conditioning stint without having to pass through waivers, but it wouldn't be for rehab, the player would need to be cleared medically to be able to play before being reassigned. and it would be extremely odd for someone like roberto to be sent down for conditioning, but things akin to that have happened before.

as for the rules around vetern players, it's because the AHL is considered a developmental league for the NHL, and has entered into an agreement as such. i believe it was the NHL that required the rules, to ensure the league remains developmental at it's core.

and there is no limit to the amount of players a nhl team can assign (well technically it would be the NHL contract limit minus the amount of players needed to ice a full lineup, but that's just logistics, not an actual cap)

I just kind of want to say how much I despise TSN for not giving the Comets ANY kind of coverage, like at all....ever. Since the beginning of the season I have seen maybe 4 stories about them and all after playing the Heat Marlies or Sens.

I just kind of want to say how much I despise TSN for not giving the Comets ANY kind of coverage, like at all....ever. Since the beginning of the season I have seen maybe 4 stories about them and all after playing the Heat Marlies or Sens.

agreed. although sportsnet 360 will be airing 2 upcoming comets games:

The AHL on Sportsnet 360

Sun., Feb. 16 – Utica Comets at Toronto Marlies, 3 ET

Sun., Apr. 6 – Utica Comets at Toronto Marlies, 3 ET

Ok, thanks to all for your answers. I'm new to the Canucks, and seeing how we haven't had a AHL team here in 20 years, there has never been any reason for me to pay attention to these rosters and transactions. It does clear up a bunch of questions I had. There are some people on the Comets page who ask why certain players cant come to Utica to give this team a boost. I had to "butt in" to inform them that Utica is here to provide and condition players for Vancouver, not the other way around. I can take info from your posts to inform them about why such and such can't come to Utica.

Are these guidelines in place to keep teams equally balanced or is it just to ensure players are treated (paid) fairly? Is there a certain amount of players that can be assigned to the AHL franchise at 1 time?

What about conditioning? Could it be possible that, say, a player like Roberto Luongo could actually be assigned to Utica to re-hab the groin injury?

Sorry for the ?'s , it's all new to me

From a technical stand point any player signed to a NHL contract can be sent to Utica, only players that have a 'No move clause' can not be sent down. (players with a no trade clause can be send down).

That being said, there is something called waivers in place. Waivers are basically a NHL team waiving a pro players contract and rights to send them to the AHL/ECHL or releasing them from the contract, during this time they are made available to the 29 other nhl teams.

A player that signed his first contract at the age of 18 (Nathan MacKinnon for example, would be subject to waivers after 5 years or after 160 regular season and/or playoff games whichever happens first).

Here's a breakdown of when players will have waivers in effect for them, based on when they signed their first pro contract.

For skaters:

18: 5 years or 160 games

19: 4 years or 160 games

20: 3 years or 160 games

21: 3 years or 80 games

22: 3 years or 70 games

23: 3 years or 60 games

24: 2 years or 60 games

*Player age is defined as the age he will be in that calendar year. If a player signs is contract in February and in July he turns 19, he is considered 19 when signed.

I hope this helps, I very well may have just confused you more

No, makes perfect sense. Thank you all, for your help!!!!!!!

1 more question..How do NCAA prospects get assigned?

NCAA prospects can't be assigned until they sign a professional contract and once they sign a professional contract they can no longer play NCAA hockey and become just like an of our other prospects currently playing pro hockey. Once they sign a contract they can make the NHL team or be assigned to the AHL or ECHL.

NCAA prospects typically play anywhere between 2-4 seasons of NCAA before signing a pro contract. You have up to 4 years after drafting a NCAA player to sign them to a contract or they will become a free agent and any team can sign them at that point.

In the spring you typically hear about NCAA free agents, these are players that have *usually* gone undrafted (Justin Schultz was drafted by Anaheim but didn't sign with them and became a free agent, then signed with Edmontin) and either finished school OR are leaving school and want to turn pro. These players, depending on their age, are signed to either a 3, 2 or 1 year ELC. Due to the age of most NCAA FA's it's typically 1 or 2 year contracts.

Sometimes a team may draft a player that is going to the NCAA or are in their first year (typically seen in 19 year olds) but they leave school because perhaps they are not getting enough ice time and maybe go to a CHL team that has their rights. When this occurs, during the year they are in the CHL they are treated like any of our junior prospects. They can be recalled on emergency only and can't be assigned to the AHL until there junior season is done. This case doesn't happen very often but there have been cases.

Typically you won't see a prospect that is still in school at training camps in Sept and early October because their classes have begun. They also are not recalled at the end of their seasons because they have exams AND if a professional team gives a player any type of incentive/compensation (paying for flights, hotel rooms, etc) that player can be kicked out of NCAA.

Hope this helps you understand NCAA prospects more!

Archived