The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey in Utica....again

Utica Fan

Not sure what point was trying to be made with the previous post, but I like the farm team being in Utica, but I'd love it being in Abby too.

I guess my point was...the City of Abbotsford wants a tenant for their arena...other than the Heat under their current arrangement. But - the handful of persons who might be able to alter such an arrangement.... are clearly entrenched in something akin to personal warfare with one another & totally un-interested in doing the other any favors.

The citizens of Abbotsford are being victimized by that. They can either show-up as paying seat-warmers to watch & cheer for the affiliated farm-team of a chief rival, to their home NHL franchise...... or they can pay anyways thru increased taxation. Take their pick. There is NO other alternative. It pretty much sours everyone. Why didn't they try identifying this team with the City of Abbotsford.from the start? Why not call 'em the Abbotsford Tillmen...or the Abbotsford Aviators? Nope! They're the Flames' farm-hands...so they must be called something like the "Heat" & this is their only reason. Dumb PR move...people. :picard:

As most of you have said....less travelling by the Comets probably equals more practice for the farm-hands there...and far less expense for the Aquilini's to worry about. I'm currently happy to see the 'Nucks farm-hands progressing so well in Utica, too. Altho'...I would be someone who might buy or share season's tickets to see 'em play.... if they were located closer to me, in the Fraser Valley.

As it stands now... we are still building-up a new generation of fans for our young players, even in the backyard of that controversial eastern media propaganda hub. Canucks Nation will continue to grow...and we'll get a few new allies to counter all of that negative spinning done by those pundits who don't even stay-up late enough to watch (in their entirety) 1/2 of the NHL games they write about.

I love seeing Canucks' jersies popping-up all over So-Cal, Toronto, Washington, Phoenix, Florida & in other arenas across North America. I hope that Utica Comets' fans will become just as fervent about representing for their team on the road, as well. So,...Let's Go Comets...and....Go Canucks Go!

Ok, so let's throw a new twist and add more speculation to this Abbottsford - Utica team swap. On the AHL fan page, it was reported that "A Official from the Calgary Flames visited the Glens Falls (Adirondack) Civic Center". The city of Glens Falls will be losing their team (Phantoms) after this season. They are relocating to Flyers country, Lehigh Valley, PA).

That makes it sound like Calgary would potentially fold the Heat and move them east. Like I said, I'm content with the Canucks farm staying in Utica. This is already our third farm team in less than three years.

no, it's not. it's our 2nd in 3 years (3rd in 4 years), after having the same one for 10 years. you say it like we've been constantly jumping around when that's not the case at all.

2001–02 to 2010–11 Manitoba Moose (AHL)

2011–12 to 2012–13 Chicago Wolves (AHL)

2013–14 Utica Comets (AHL)

We would still be with the moose had the jets not returned to winnipeg, but that return forced us to get a new affiliate so we tested out the wolves for 2 years, realized they are horrible for our prospects (as i stated way back when the affiliation was announced) and then they looked to get an affiliate of their own to ensure they can develop right. Then they bought the rivermen, moved them out of the hell hole that is Peoria, and into Utica, where fans actually care and are passionate about their team.

• 2 weeks later...

We have found the Comets to be a very "fan friendly" group of players. Vancouver has a very genuine group of prospects down here in Utica. We have had just a great experience down here in Utica getting to know these guys. It's been a great 1st year and I hope we can enjoy MANY more years with the Canucks. From a fans perspective, this has been the BEST, ever, hockey experience I have been a part of.

Something good happened in Utica this year. Come to find out, having a AHL team in Utica was successful after all. Thanks to all the Comets fans for turning doubters into believers. Thanks to Rob Esche, Frank Duross, the Canucks organization and the countless other people who worked so hard to bring this team to Utica. They ALL, turned a dream into a reality.

It's been a fun, and exciting,1st year.

:wub: @Utica Fan

All hockey fans should be like you! I'm so happy the Comets organization has you & others solidly on-side with them. I appreciate all of your enthusiatic reports on their games. I also enjoy the rink-side news on the progress our baby Canucks are making both on & off of the ice in their new community. Seeing how the local hockey fans inter-act with the players in celebration, on jersey-days, & during other events...is not only fun...but more evidence that a bond has developed between Uticans & their team.

I tune-in to Comets games by radio. I loyally watch 'em play when they fly-in for games in Abby. The future looks bright for this group. In fact, the Utica Comets' story ranks as perhaps one of the best decisions the Canucks organization has made, recently.

Thanks, again, for your excellent contribution to the CDC fan-board. :towel:

SOLD-OUT! Tonight's game vs. Toronto is, for the 15th time this season, SOLD-OUT!

Skeptics are still scratching their heads :picard: trying to figure out how this AHL hockey team in Utica, has been so successful. They can't figure why the fans still come when:

The Comets started the season dropping their 1st 10 games.

The Comets were in last place the 1st 2 months of the season.

The Comets had the worst record in the league.

The injuries and call-ups that kept this team from winning consistently.

The occasion "blow-out" losses.

The lack of positive media coverage here in Utica.

The simple fact is that here, in Upstate NY, there are a large contingent of people who love the game of hockey. More so than any thought possible, to make this work. To us, it really doesn't matter WHICH team gave us a shot, it just mattered that we got a shot in the first place. We are doing our best to make "Hockey in Utica" a tradition. We had a "trial run" 20 years ago and it's safe to say that we learned from our mistakes. We have accepted the Canucks organization as one of our own. We care about this team and really treat these guys down here like family. We want to prove to everyone that "Hockey in Utica" works and the fans here will see to make that happen.

Tonight there will be, yet again, 3815 fans at the Aud cheering on the Comets. There will also be countless others, that couldn't get a ticket, tuning in to Brendan Burke to catch the play by play. "Hockey in Utica", its a nice thing to be part of.

Can anyone see a difference?

Bravo to the fans! .. a lot of us old-time fans really appreciate how your community welcomed the 'Comets' .. I hope this develops into a long term relationship that can benefit fans of all these players, at whatever level they are playing ..I never thought I would visit Utica, but next time I am back east, I am going to see what upstate NY is like ..

Archived