The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canadiens @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Horrible third. Thought they were gonna come out with more spirit. Oh well. On the bright side Santorelli countinues to impress me. Works hard, puts in the efffort, creates turnovers, and goes into the right places. He's been our best player so far this year IMO. Torts shoulda left him with the Sedins I think. Anyways I'm a Kassian fan but wasn't to impressed with his energy tonight. He was floating around and didn't seem to show that he cared much. He needs to bring more energy and keep his feet moving. He's not getting in the dirty areas enough either.

rant/

In the entire duration of the Sedins becoming legitimate bonafide 1st liners (since 2005-2006 season) the best player we put them with is Alexander Burrows (I love Alex but he's a fringe 2nd liner). This is after terrible predecessors including jason king, trent klatt, anson carter (made him a 30 goal scorer), taylor pyatt, steve bernier and (in the future) zack kassian. I would be appalled if I'm the Sedins. Those are all players, who after leaving the Canucks either became 4th liners or couldn't find other NHL jobs. Could only imagine them with a premier player (a hartnell, franzen, brown type of player) which I understand is hard to find but seriously, 8 years and the best we found is Burrows?

Then the secondary scoring, which has been, again since 2005-2006, non-existent. Only two players, Kesler and Naslund, could be considered decent secondary scoring, but even then they got most of their points while playing with the Sedins on the PP. Jannik Hansen was our 3rd leading scorer last year. I love Janny but when he's 3rd on your team in scoring you have some serious scoring depth issues.

I feel we also made a bad decision on defence. We basically guaranteed the top four spots to Edler, Garry, Bieksa and Hamuis with NTC's. Why even compete? Its terrible news for younger players, who even if they play well have little chance of bumping one of those players off the top four. What happened to earning your ice-time? Sad part is they are all signed for the foreseeable future. What really irked me this year was acquiring Stanton a few days before the regular season started, same with Dalpe. It seems like a slap in the face of those players who came to training camp, competed hard but lost a job to players who no one has ever heard of and walked right into the lineup. I guess systems don't matter that much if you can get regular joe-schmoes to come in and start opening night.

I love this team but I feel its going to be a long year, were not bad enough to get a great pick but not good enough to play with the best. My guess were going to be a .500 team (I'm scared we are turning into the flames). I truly truly truly hope I'm dead wrong

Vancouver Canucks vs. Montreal Canadiens

Saturday, October 12 2013

Habs Defeat Canucks

Vancouver, BC – It was an important game for the Vancouver Canucks as they looked to improve to 4-2-0 before they head out on a road trip for the next 7 games. It was also an important game for Zack Kassian, as he was playing his first game of the season and his first game since being handed a 8 game suspension (5 regular season games and 3 pre-season games) for his “reckless” high stick on Edmonton Oilers forward Sam Gagner.

The Sedin’s and Mike Santorelli started the period for the Canucks, the Canucks nearly converted as a strange bounce got past Canadiens goalie Carey Price, but bounced right on top of the net.

Rene Bourque had Montreal’s best chance after he intercepted Ryan Stanton’s clearing attempt, he quickly fired it on Luongo but the Canucks goaltender was able to stop it with ease.

Max Pacioretty just missed the net as he got by Tanev, though Pacioretty missed the net he was able to draw a hooking call on Chris Tanev.

The Canadiens power play is currently tied for 10th in the league but the Canucks penalty kill is currently tied for 1st as they have killed off every penalty they’ve taken so far. It was Max Pacioretty who ended the Canucks streak as he squeaked one through the pads of Luongo. Luongo was furious as he believed he had control of the puck but he never really did as the replay clearly shows the puck go through the pads of Luongo.

Lars Eller took the Canadiens first penalty, as he was called for holding. The Canucks are currently ranked 23rd in the league for their power play, The Canadiens penalty kill is ranked 15th. Carey Price robbed Jason Garrison, after Price made an initial save on Daniel Sedin, Garrison found a rebound in the slot and one timed the rebound on net but was foiled by the pad of Price. Chris Higgins nearly deflected a point shot in but the curse remained as the deflection just missed the net.

The Canucks were unable to convert on the power play and went 0-1 to start the game.

Mike Santorelli picked up a turnover and quickly threw it on net but was foiled by Carey Price as the Habs goalie got across in time to swallow up the shot. Zac Dalpe who has yet to see much ice time for the Canucks since being acquired, nearly scored after the Canadiens turned the puck over in their own zone, Carey Price was able to make the save after re-adjusting to the turnover.

Thomas Plekanec just missed an open net, as the Canadiens forward found himself alone in front after picking up a rebound in the slot. Daniel Sedin was the next Canuck to be denied by the Montreal goaltender, after the Sedin twins found themselves on an odd man rush.

Daniel found a clear shot but was stopped by Price. The Sedin line did everything but score in the final minute of the 1st period as they had chance after chance but were unable to convert against a tired Montreal line.

The Canadiens ended the 1st leading 1-0 but the Canucks led in shots 14-9.

The Sedin’s had a new line mate as Jannik Hansen and Mike Santorelli swapped spots during the intermission, the new line had a few chances in the opening minutes of the 2nd period but were unable to get one by Price.

Jason Garrisons point shot just rolled wide of the net as it appeared to be tipped in front by Hansen. The Canucks continued their offensive attack as they generated chance after chance in the first 5 minutes of the period but were still unable to beat Price. The two teams traded chance after chance but the two Canadian goaltenders stood tall and put on a show for the 18,000+ at Rogers Arena.

PK Subban took an interference penalty just over 6 minutes into the 2nd period to give the Canucks a power play. The Canucks looked dangerous on their previous power play but were unable to beat Price. Price robbed Ryan Kesler in front as Kesler hopped on rebound but shot it right into Price.

The Canucks were in a middle of a series chances but fell victim to bad luck as Price’s helmet fell off which resulted in play being halted. The Canucks were unable to generate any chances after that as Montreal killed off the rest of the penalty with ease.

Chris Tanev was keeled over at the bench after being crunched by Brandon Prust behind the Canucks net. Tanev was fine and stayed in the game.

Chris Higgins had a short breakaway but was unable to shake the monkey off his back as he was unable to score his 1st of the season.

The Sedin’s showed off some wizardry as they tied the game after a beautiful back pass from Daniel to his brother Henrik, who shot it into the wide open net. It was Henrik’s first goal of the year.

PK Subban leveled Brad Richardson at center ice shortly after the goal. Zack Kassian wasn’t too happy as he replied with a huge hit of his own on Subban. Ryan Kesler landed the next huge hit as he leveled Francis Bouillon behind the Habs net.

Jared Tinordi took the Canadiens 2nd penalty of the period with just over 4 minutes to play as he was called for interference. The Canucks fell victim to an own goal by Dan Hamhuis after the puck rolled off his stick right into the skates of Luongo into the back of the net. Hamhuis has had a tough start to the new season and that certainly did not help. Lars Eller was credited with the goal as he was the last Canadien to touch the puck.

The Montreal Canadiens ended the 2nd period with a 2-1 lead but the Canucks continued to lead in shots with 31 shots to Montreal’s 20.

The Canucks began the 3rd down 2-1 but are no stranger to being down after 2. All of the 3 Canucks wins this year have involved some kind of comeback.

Max Pacioretty was awarded a penalty shot just 1:30 into the 3rd period after being hooked down by Kevin Bieksa on a breakaway. Roberto Luongo deflected the shot away with his blocker, keeping Vancouver in the game.

PK Subban was down after being hit just under the arm by a Chris Higgins shot. Subban was okay and remained in the game. Jason Garrison crushed Lars Eller behind the Canucks net, which drew an ovation from the Canucks faithful.

Dan Hamhuis fell victim to a great dive by Lars Eller as Hamhuis was called for interference as he simply stood there as Eller tried to get by.

Tomas Plekanec made it 3-1 after he was left all alone in front by the Canucks and Plekanec received a nice pass from Markov at 13:14 of the 3rd period to extend the Montreal lead. Daniel Sedin got called for tripping shortly after the goal to put the Canucks down a man once again.

The Canucks were able to kill off the penalty this time, as Mike Santorelli and Brad Richardson were able to neutralize the Montreal power play. The Canucks have been unable to get a single shot on net through the first 10 minutes of the 3rd period. Kevin Bieksa registered the 1st shot on Price in the 3rd with just over 9 minutes remaining in the period. Santorelli had the first serious chance of the period for the Canucks as he shot one into the shoulder of Price as he was alone in front after a nice

passing play by Higgins and Garrison.

Josh Gorges beat Luongo from the point with a wrist shot to make it 4-1 with just over 7 minutes remaining in regulation.

The Canucks were unable to get it going offensively in the 3rd period as they fell to 3-3-0 after losing 4-1 to the Montreal Canadiens.

Roberto Luongo finished the game with 34 saves on 38 shots.

Carey Price finished the game with 39 saves on 40 shots.

Notes:

· The Canucks (3-3-0) play the Philadelphia Flyers (1-5-0) on Tuesday

Archived