The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So much for the "reset"

dalredane

He forgot to tell us what the 'process' is.

This team cannot win the stanley cup. So what are we doing? Spinning around the ice hoping to be a first round blow out? A cinderella trying for one last hurrah?

How about Gillis makes a decision to make us honest contenders or tank the team to rebuild. That is the smart choice.

This league is about 2 things:

1) The conference finals or better

2) A top 5 draft pick.

Everything else is nonsense.

This. Mediocrity is the worse place to be.

The Canucks have all the talent and potential to fill seats and make Aquilini loads of money. Remember, it's a business.

If FA was really serious about doing everything to win a cup, he would have allowed MG to buy-out Lu. That would have set up us up for years with a grade A goaltender just entering his prime at a bargain price and freed up cap space for MG to acquire a top 6 sniper. That would have been a re-set. What we have is a re-arranging of the furniture with a couple of new accent lamps added.

Buying out Lu and keeping Schneids would result in a cap saving of only $1.3 million (the difference in their salaries). Not nearly enough to sign a top 6 in free agency. And, as noted above by Merci, also would mean no ability to draft Bo Horvat. I am critical of the Schneids trade because I felt there could have been some salary dump (Ballard) somehow included in that trade with us taking on a smaller salary dump from New Jersey. But keeping Lu and gettin Horvat while only retaining an additional $1.3 million is more astute then buying out Lu in my view. Lu is still a top notch goalie.

Everyone totally misunderstood what MG meant by reset. He didn't mean rebuild or hiring a new coach for that matter. What he meant was he was going to operate differently from here on. Instead of trying to "win now" and "sacrifice the future" (he will not trade draft picks/prospects for rentals) he is going to sign players to low cap hits from free agency and focus on drafting and developing prospects properly so that they are NHL ready. This will give a few years to use the prospects to "win later".

In short MG will now "win later" instead of "win now". You can see the huge change since the draft in the way he operates.

Only he knows what he meant when he said that but this looks to be the most likely explanation of what he meant when he said reset.

he is trying to protect his rep now .. he doesnt want to go out like kenan having this team in shambles......hes already proven he cannot structure a team to win a cup and cannot pull off a trade or an off season signing to boost our top 6 to win it... now hes just going to coast and hopefully ride this job as a playoff team but not much more... so when he leaves people might beable to say hey what a good job he did getting all these players like we did about burke and nonis after they left and the guys they brought in almost got us a cup.....

Reset is a nice concept, application is the missing ingredient. This team has too many clones at the forward position, bit's and pieces, non script players taking up Cap room and ice time. Should MG be complimented with his signing Richardson and Santorelli....and eeeks Welsh and Dalpe .... desperation signings from the bargain basement at the Army & Navy. We need a difference maker not a 3rd/4th line checker. Time to move a Tanev , Hansen they don't have a NTC and they are worth some thing. As much as you like the guys and they give effort some times that's not we need....a team crying out for skill

I know, we finally get rid of one of our redunant 5 third line wingers in Raymond and he brings in Santorelli and Richardson (I know he's a center). All great guys and the new guys are playing well but not what we need.

Unfortunately that's pretty much the only move that we have to make.

I know, we finally get rid of one of our redunant 5 third line wingers in Raymond and he brings in Santorelli and Richardson (I know he's a center). All great guys and the new guys are playing well but not what we need.

Unfortunately that's pretty much the only move that we have to make.

Santorelli and Richardson were for the bottom 6.

Santo was given league minimum. He's just played his way up the depth chart.

I'll take those two for the bottom 6 over MayRay anyday

I guess the best thing to happen would be for Booth to get injured again so that he can be put on long-term injured reserve and have his $4.2 million US Tropy Bear Hunting fund not count against the cap. With that extra room, perhaps we can package a couple everyday players and bring in an actual sniper. Then we can buyout Booth in the offseason.

Oh well, a guy can dream.

All salaries count towards the cap. long-term injury just allows you to exceed the cap while the player is injured. That said I'd rather Booth not have another injury that puts him out for the season so he can be bought out at the end of the year. Unless of course you'd prefer yet another year with him on the team.

Btw, you won't get a sniper by trading "a couple everyday players". EA isn't real life.

Archived