The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brazilian Air Force picks Sweden's Gripen fighter jet

aeromotacanucks

Why didn't we purchase these instead of the F-35's? Oh right we are obligated to buy from the Americans.

We enjoy the ever present security of the worlds biggest and best military next door to us so we can spend peanuts in comparison on our military. A minor token of purchasing their planes and keeping them happy in that role should be considered important to every Canadian so yes, we are obligated to buy from them..

We enjoy the ever present security of the worlds biggest and best military next door to us so we can spend peanuts in comparison on our military. A minor token of purchasing their planes and keeping them happy in that role should be considered important to every Canadian so yes, we are obligated to buy from them..

This is true in a sense but completely wrong.

Due to NORAD and the NAFTA agreement, plus UN conventions we are obligated to source to the US first. Not obligated but sourced. The main issue is that some of the largest procurements in canadian history have been pushed forward without thought by the Conservative governments and subsequently cancelled or amended by later Liberal governments ending in a he said she said match of who wasted how much money where.

See the Sikorsky purchase by Mulroney which had to be cancelled by Chretien and then re-written and then ignored and revamped and re-written again costing us tax payers billions.

The F-35 was not sourced at all it was basically handed over to the F-35 project without thought by the Conservative government. We had and have many options available. The Super Hornet being one of them, which we'd be able to almost double the order amount with for the same cost. Benefit being we already run the hornet interceptor so minimal training and maintenance training issues

We could have had the Hornet, the Gripen or any numerous other models or again even embarked on our own building program but didn't. our government botched this horribly and then lied to us about it.

Shame our best and bravest suffer for political points and friends in high places with lobbyists

comments from the internet:

"Good job NSA you cost this country a billion dollar plus program with your idiotic spying on everyone idea. I'm surprised you didn't see this coming"

"Brazil has a history of chosing cost over quality...ie Mirage from France..We use them for target practice for our missle systems. Zero stealth abilities, huge radar reflections, poor support from a 35 hour per week workforce at a 80 hour cost..."

"I guess the Brazilians didn't want an aircraft that leaked fuel all the time (F/A-18). The Gripen is mean donkey"

"Sweden is known for its safe cars and brazil probably wants safety first"

"Another sad case of quantity over quality. The Gripen is the worst fighter jet on the market today yet Brazil chose to buy something less than the best. I wish them luck should they ever have to go against any US or Russian jet in the future, this thing will be blown to bits right out of the sky."

"Obama happy."

"the JAS-39 Gripen is more comparable to the F-16 than the F-15E... it is a multi role fighter and has very good electronics and can carry a lot of stand off weapons and can operate from short

runways.. wing loading and maneuverability are compatible... the real reason Brazil bought the aircraft is COST... while some people with comment on technology transfer and the ability of the Brazilian Air Force to service this aircraft (they are way off base) no pun intended... it boils down to $$ and the deal!"

"The key is technology transfer and right to build or finish assembly in Brazil. The Brazzies are the #3 commercial aircraft builder. One day they may become #3 in fighters with enough bought IP. A cheap price to pay for a stepping stone to another market. I mean: who does the Brazilian Air Force fly security against?"

"Brazil is smart not to trust Us built weapons. It sees that the american people don't want spying on them either. They see an overwhelming majority of citizens in outrage and the government dragging it's feet on the issue.They watch the promises Obama made on TV being broken. They saw the military take out kadaffi because he would only accept gold for his oil and not worthless dollars.How can they trust us? How can anyone trust our government which seems to be in rebellion against the constitution and the people? They are wise to distance themselves from the corruption and dirty tricks they would be vulnerable to if they deal with the snakes in washington."

"My guess is that regardless of technical aspects of the fighter jets from all three countries, there was no way in hell Brazil would select the American fighter jet after President Obama spied on Brazil's current president."

"The Gripen carries the same weapons as the F-18, is more maneuverable with lighter wing loading, tends to have the element of surprise with higher cruise due to delta wing and smaller size, and is 40% cheaper to buy and operate. The only advantage the F-18 has is slightly greater thrust to weight ratio, which is pretty well a wash with the wing loading. As a practical war fighting machine where budgets really matter, the Gripen is an intelligent choice, plus they get technology transfer. That's why Brazil's Air Force prefers it, and when we offended them with our rude spying, that gave their Air Force all the excuse it needed to turn Boeing down."

"Looks like NSA just cost us $5 billion. Gotta hate it when you P off a once likely customer by spying on them!"

comments from Brazil (Translated):

"Surely it was a good purchase! The Rafale sales did not take off, and the Americans would certainly back to us as they always have. Seems a technical decision, more in line with the interests of users, the military. Well done the Brazilian government!"

"I was very pleased with the outcome of this negotiation. For us the most important is not the defense provided by these fighters but the prospects we can manufacture in our own country hunts in the medium term future, leveraging Embraer, the Brazilian industry and our exports. Brazil does not think the war but think of how much we can gain from it."

"I found a wise decision of our president, a single-engine airplane with a manufacturing cost and maintenance cheaper than its competitors and at a great performance. CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR PRESIDENT, now we must make a deal with Russia to develop the T-50."

"Would not be better chose the Russian fighters? like MIG-35 and SU-35?"

"fx 2 is finished, open the way for the Russians in 5g!"

"Great! Nice shot against the USA. Just missing our people believe more in our abilities!"

"at least it isn´t a crappy F-18 when USA have the F-18 Super Hornet and F-35. we´re tired of buying junkyard from other countries!"

"right. now put them around the country, make 200 of them by Embraer and buy 100 SU-35 to finish this thing!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gripen_NG#Gripen_NG

General characteristics

Performance

Armament

AIR_JAS-39_Gripen_Cutaway_lg.jpg

comments from the internet:

"Good job NSA you cost this country a billion dollar plus program with your idiotic spying on everyone idea. I'm surprised you didn't see this coming"

"Brazil has a history of chosing cost over quality...ie Mirage from France..We use them for target practice for our missle systems. Zero stealth abilities, huge radar reflections, poor support from a 35 hour per week workforce at a 80 hour cost..."

"I guess the Brazilians didn't want an aircraft that leaked fuel all the time (F/A-18). The Gripen is mean donkey"

"Sweden is known for its safe cars and brazil probably wants safety first"

"Another sad case of quantity over quality. The Gripen is the worst fighter jet on the market today yet Brazil chose to buy something less than the best. I wish them luck should they ever have to go against any US or Russian jet in the future, this thing will be blown to bits right out of the sky."

"Obama happy."

"the JAS-39 Gripen is more comparable to the F-16 than the F-15E... it is a multi role fighter and has very good electronics and can carry a lot of stand off weapons and can operate from short

runways.. wing loading and maneuverability are compatible... the real reason Brazil bought the aircraft is COST... while some people with comment on technology transfer and the ability of the Brazilian Air Force to service this aircraft (they are way off base) no pun intended... it boils down to $$ and the deal!"

"The key is technology transfer and right to build or finish assembly in Brazil. The Brazzies are the #3 commercial aircraft builder. One day they may become #3 in fighters with enough bought IP. A cheap price to pay for a stepping stone to another market. I mean: who does the Brazilian Air Force fly security against?"

"Brazil is smart not to trust Us built weapons. It sees that the american people don't want spying on them either. They see an overwhelming majority of citizens in outrage and the government dragging it's feet on the issue.They watch the promises Obama made on TV being broken. They saw the military take out kadaffi because he would only accept gold for his oil and not worthless dollars.How can they trust us? How can anyone trust our government which seems to be in rebellion against the constitution and the people? They are wise to distance themselves from the corruption and dirty tricks they would be vulnerable to if they deal with the snakes in washington."

"My guess is that regardless of technical aspects of the fighter jets from all three countries, there was no way in hell Brazil would select the American fighter jet after President Obama spied on Brazil's current president."

"The Gripen carries the same weapons as the F-18, is more maneuverable with lighter wing loading, tends to have the element of surprise with higher cruise due to delta wing and smaller size, and is 40% cheaper to buy and operate. The only advantage the F-18 has is slightly greater thrust to weight ratio, which is pretty well a wash with the wing loading. As a practical war fighting machine where budgets really matter, the Gripen is an intelligent choice, plus they get technology transfer. That's why Brazil's Air Force prefers it, and when we offended them with our rude spying, that gave their Air Force all the excuse it needed to turn Boeing down."

"Looks like NSA just cost us $5 billion. Gotta hate it when you P off a once likely customer by spying on them!"

comments from Brazil (Translated):

"Surely it was a good purchase! The Rafale sales did not take off, and the Americans would certainly back to us as they always have. Seems a technical decision, more in line with the interests of users, the military. Well done the Brazilian government!"

"I was very pleased with the outcome of this negotiation. For us the most important is not the defense provided by these fighters but the prospects we can manufacture in our own country hunts in the medium term future, leveraging Embraer, the Brazilian industry and our exports. Brazil does not think the war but think of how much we can gain from it."

"I found a wise decision of our president, a single-engine airplane with a manufacturing cost and maintenance cheaper than its competitors and at a great performance. CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR PRESIDENT, now we must make a deal with Russia to develop the T-50."

"Would not be better chose the Russian fighters? like MIG-35 and SU-35?"

"fx 2 is finished, open the way for the Russians in 5g!"

"Great! Nice shot against the USA. Just missing our people believe more in our abilities!"

"at least it isn´t a crappy F-18 when USA have the F-18 Super Hornet and F-35. we´re tired of buying junkyard from other countries!"

"right. now put them around the country, make 200 of them by Embraer and buy 100 SU-35 to finish this thing!"

http://en.wikipedia....en_NG#Gripen_NG

General characteristics

Performance

Armament

AIR_JAS-39_Gripen_Cutaway_lg.jpg

Brazil is making a serious stand in the world. I wish our government had the same balls as the Brazilian president does.

Brazil is making a serious stand in the world. I wish our government had the same balls as the Brazilian president does.

I gonna tell you a little secret ok? ;)

it wasn´t our "president" who decided that. it was our military who said "WE NEED A NEW FIGHTER NOW BECAUSE THE CURRENT ONES WILL STOP FLYING ON DECEMBER 31TH" :excl:

basically our "president" just made the formal decision. last time the military were really angry here we had 25 years of military dictatorship... :emot-parrot:

and guess who started the military dictarorship? the air force command...

so. The Brazilian President should no piss-off the Brazilian Air Force or...

and think about this.

Brazil will developt together with SAAB the Gripen NG. sooner we/they will have the "Sea Gripen" able to operate to/from air carriers (yes, we have one).

since Embraer will make then in the future we gonna have the "Gripen BR" (BR=BRasil) and the "Sea Gripen BR".

Canada must do the same. if we can do that why Canada can´t? Come on! you Canadians have the Bombardier! re-enginer the Arrow and make a high speed interceptor...

this NATO and NAFTA "agreement" is crushing the Canadian military. what about the Canadian government decide thinking about Canadians first?

Many moons ago I got the chance to get an up close look at the Jas 39. Absolutely beautiful bird Brazil picked well also interesting to hear that they are planning to develop a carrier friendly version.

I would love to see the Avro Arrow revived especially if they were able to keep the beautiful lines that the original had

ARROW Mk.1

General characteristics

Performance

Armament

Avionics

• Hughes MX-1179 fire control system

F-35

General characteristics

Performance

Armament

Avionics

well. If USSR/Russia modernized sucessfuly the MIG-25 and MIG-31 I don´t see reasons why Canada can´t do the same with Arrow. would be a high speed interceptor...

Archived