The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Do The Canucks Always Play Philly Around New Years?

Giant Inflatable Beaver

I don't see why some of you feel the need to be such doinks about this. The OP was merely asking if anyone knows why this funny quirk in the schedule seems to happen every year. If you don't care about what this OP noticed you can simply stop opening this thread and making an ass of yourself.

As for why, as 70seven mentioned above, perhaps the league likes some of the same matchups around the same holidays every year. It is kind of a neat quirk, I do remember many times where the Canucks play Philly around this time of year. Unfortunately we always seem to lose.

Probably has something to do with Ed Snider not wanting his team to be laying around the house around New Years overeating and drinking.

FYI since 1989 they have played the Flyers 11 times at home within a week of New Years, including 5 years in a row from 1995-99.

Since 1970 they are 2-11-5 vs the Flyers at home in games within 4 days of New Years.

I went to a few of those games in the 90's. Still remember Cliff Ronning out-muscling Lindros along the boards one time and the place going nuts.

Archived