The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Just what the hell are the game developers thinking these days?

Papayas

You should play My Career mode, it's honestly the most fun. I'm pretty much hooked to the game because if My Career.

Yes but half the time MyCareer is not acessable because the servers are down, and MyCareer is tied to online only even though its an offline game mode. Why? Becayse they want you to buy VC.

Hard to enjoy when its down every time you want to play.

2013 was an amazing year for games IMO. This thread would of been more viable in 2012.

GTA 5

The Last of Us

Assassin's Creed 4

Dead Space 3

Crysis 3

Bioshock Infinite

You've listed like 3 good games, and managed to ignore most of what was good about the past year.

Yes but half the time MyCareer is not acessable because the servers are down, and MyCareer is tied to online only even though its an offline game mode. Why? Becayse they want you to buy VC.

Hard to enjoy when its down every time you want to play.

Its only been down once for me. Small price for the best overall sports game. I hate basketball much like baseball but 2k and MLB the show are so well produced they keepme coming back. Unlike EA which ddisappoints year after year. Madden 25 was a outright embarrassment and NHL 14 was marginally improved gameplay wise but at least they spelled Gretzkys name right this year.

but a better quality from their games will give them more money... The topic isn't about them being cheap or greedy, but it's just that they tend to focus on the useless things and ignore some of the more important features for their games...

Not really. For example Alan Wake on IGN was rated a 9.0 and the user rating was an 8.8. A strong well done game that did horrible in sales. The bottom line is as far as money goes it's all about sales and games that have a reputation or lack of competition will sell. Many of the games that have been trashed for being poorly made still have done fantastic in sales.

Plus it isn't entirely cheap to delay a game and keep having the numerous workers patch it up.

I mean say what you want about EA but they do this with numerous games and they are still going strong. I doubt they would willingly accept the award for worst company in america back to back years and all the criticism over under done games if they weren't thriving in the money department.

I hate when people make statements like this. Support your argument-- list some examples of games that were ignored.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Gone Home

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Xcom: Enemy Within

Injustice: Gods Among Us

Metro: Last Light

I hate when people make statements like this. Support your argument-- list some examples of games that were ignored.

This is an argument that cannot be won. Taste varies person to person. I could argue his list above me isn't very good either but that's my opinion. I find it rude to attack someone on topics like this like caboose did to start this discussion.

There are a lot of reasons to be worried about the direction of gaming right now but, like some already have said, I'd argue that gaming has never been stronger. Companies wanting to pinch every last cent out of their customers is nothing new but it also has never been done to this extent. DLC in the modern era started with the horse armour in TES: Oblivion now you can buy single cars for a hundred dollars in Forza 5 or pay for in game money in GTA V online.

It's the individual consumer's choice whether they want to participate in this system or not. In many cases developers/publishers need less than 1 percent for the player base who plays the game to make the microtransactions or DLC worthwile. I don't have a problem with the idea of DLC or microtransactions inherently but there are some lines that shouldn't be crossed. I won't play any pay to win game because it defeats the whole purpose of playing the game in the first place for me. With that being said however I love the way Valve and Grinding Gear Games have done microtransactions with Dota 2 and Path of Exile respectively. Ultimately the marketplace will dictate what is acceptable but developers are clearly trying to test those limits with NBA 2k14 and Forza 5 I feel.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Gone Home

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Xcom: Enemy Within

Injustice: Gods Among Us

Metro: Last Light

I keep hearing great things about Far Cry 3, but I haven't gotten around to playing it.

This is an argument that cannot be won. Taste varies person to person. I could argue his list above me isn't very good either but that's my opinion. I find it rude to attack someone on topics like this like caboose did to start this discussion.

It's not an argument nor an attack. Being able to support your POV is a basic skill, and it is central to facilitating a discussion. If he were to make that same enigmatic statement in person, do you think the person he said it to would just be like, "cool", and that would be the end of the discussion? Probably not.

I realize people's tastes vary, hence I asked the follow-up question. I am a gamer, just like everyone else here, and so I am always interested in great games to play. I was curious to know what Caboose liked.

I keep hearing great things about Far Cry 3, but I haven't gotten around to playing it.

Far Cry 3, while superb, is no where near as fun as Blood Dragon.

Blood Dragon is essentially reskinned Far Cry 3 in which you fight giant dinosaurs with head mounted lasers. All for 15 bucks. Play it.

But overall, other than Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us (never played, don't own a PS3) this year has been piss poor for AAA development.

2014 doesn't look any better.

Soon the consumer will have had enough of this complacent attitude of game development in which publishers polish a game a bit and re-release it each year, but we need to act if we want to see change.

2013 saw some absolute atrocities such as Dead Space 3 (took a good franchise and shivved it 30 times in the heart), Black Ops 2 (Activision borrowing its name practices from Final Fantasy), Grand Theft Auto V (the massive, empty sandbox with sparsely scattered toys), and the ever famous Battlefield 4.

I think I'm going to get metro last light when it makes it's ps4 release. Also, sounds like naughty dog may port the last of us to ps4 as well. Google that, as it's a fairly recent article.

As for 2014, there's a ton of games I want

Destiny

Infamous

Everyone's gone to the rapture

The Last of Us (if/when it gets ported to PS4)

GTA 5 (if they make it next gen)

The Division

Dying Light

But overall, other than Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us (never played, don't own a PS3) this year has been piss poor for AAA development.

2014 doesn't look any better.

Soon the consumer will have had enough of this complacent attitude of game development in which publishers polish a game a bit and re-release it each year, but we need to act if we want to see change.

2013 saw some absolute atrocities such as Dead Space 3 (took a good franchise and shivved it 30 times in the heart), Black Ops 2 (Activision borrowing its name practices from Final Fantasy), Grand Theft Auto V (the massive, empty sandbox with sparsely scattered toys), and the ever famous Battlefield 4.

When you say gaming quality has dropped, are you referring to original content? I agree with that statement, and it is part of the reason why I switched consoles this generation and bought a PS4. I find that Sony has a greater commitment to supporting the risks involved with developing new content and developing really good exclusive content (ie. anything by Naughty Dog).

I'm tired of the overload of sequels at this point, but with the amount of money invested in gaming these days, I'm not surprised that sequels have taken over. Branding is important, and certain brands are cash cows now; I am constantly amazed by the popularity of the COD franchise, which somehow manages to shatter sales records almost annually now.

I think I'm going to get metro last light when it makes it's ps4 release. Also, sounds like naughty dog may port the last of us to ps4 as well. Google that, as it's a fairly recent article.

As for 2014, there's a ton of games I want

Destiny

Infamous

Everyone's gone to the rapture

The Last of Us (if/when it gets ported to PS4)

GTA 5 (if they make it next gen)

The Division

Dying Light

Looking forward to those games. You can add the new Uncharted game that was teased, Watch Dogs and Witcher 3 (even though I really don't like RPGs). I'm kinda interested in The Order 1866, Mirror's Edge 2 and Mad Max, but I have more of a wait and see mentality for these titles.

I'm fairly certain that all of Sony's exclusives from the PS3 will be ported to the PS4 via the online store eventually.

Have no respect for studios like Naughty Dog, Bungie.

They care more about their lucrative excusivity deals than distributing a work of art to a wider audience.

Ludicrous that this is accepted practice in the games industry.

They care more about their lucrative excusivity deals than distributing a work of art to a wider audience.

That's not their decision; these developers are bought and owned by corporations like Sony or MS and are restricted to developing exclusive titles. In the late 1990s, Bungie was nothing before it was bought by MS. They were originally developing a 3rd person shooter for PC when MS came along and bought the studio. That 3rd person shooter eventually evolved into the FPS Halo that launched on the original Xbox.

No studio actually wants to make their games exclusives; it is not advantageous to the developer because it affects their publicity and their profit margins. For example: if the Halo series was available on all consoles, based on its sales on the Xbox/360, it is safe to say that it would outsell COD. That represents lost revenue for Bungie, but it was vital to the growth of the Xbox as many gamers bought the console specifically for that game. This is why as soon as Bungie completed it contract obligations with the Halo series for MS, it left and has developed a game for all consoles (ie. Destiny).

I don't know much about Naughty Dog's company history, but I'm sure their story is similar. Over the previous generation, I bet there were many 360 owners who bought a PS3 as well specifically so that they could play Last of Us or Uncharted (I know I almost did). Exclusives are never the developers' choice.

I feel your pain. I'm pretty pissed at EA making Titanfall Xbox/PC exclusive. I'd much rather play it on PS4 then 360.

I feel your pain. I'm pretty pissed at EA making Titanfall Xbox/PC exclusive. I'd much rather play it on PS4 then 360.

Ehhh, Titanfall is just another FPS.

If PS3 games like TLoU get ported to the PS4, I really hope I can put in my PS3 disc and get the PS4 copy. Or pay $5-$10 or something a la CoD, BF4 and AC.

For 2014, there aren't a ton of games I'm really excited for.

inFAMOUS and Final Fantasy X HD are my 2 most hyped titles, and one of those is a re-mastered PS2 game.

Archived