The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Automotive Bulb Question

Disaronno

Hey guys,

So my brother has a 2004 Nissan Maxima and one of his headlight bulbs has burnt out. The dealership is asking nearly $80 for a replacement.

Now the bulb itself is a 9012, but I have heard that a 9006 can be used as well as a replacement after a slight modification.

Is there anyone that knows if this would work or where to find 9012 bulbs?

Thanks.

I don't know specifically about that bulb, but usually when it indicates "slight modification", it usually just means you have to grind the plastic base of the bulb down a bit to be able to insert it into the housing. It's pretty easy.

Are the headlights halogen or hid?

**edit**

as for bulbs, they're pretty easy to come by. Napa, lordco, canadian tire etc. Ordering online is usually cheaper if you're willing to wait just to save a few bucks.

Hey guys,

So my brother has a 2004 Nissan Maxima and one of his headlight bulbs has burnt out. The dealership is asking nearly $80 for a replacement.

Now the bulb itself is a 9012, but I have heard that a 9006 can be used as well as a replacement after a slight modification.

Is there anyone that knows if this would work or where to find 9012 bulbs?

Thanks.

The magic of Google!!

I don't know specifically about that bulb, but usually when it indicates "slight modification", it usually just means you have to grind the plastic base of the bulb down a bit to be able to insert it into the housing. It's pretty easy.

Are the headlights halogen or hid?

**edit**

as for bulbs, they're pretty easy to come by. Napa, lordco, canadian tire etc. Ordering online is usually cheaper if you're willing to wait just to save a few bucks.

Bulbs are Halogen I believe.

9006 bulbs are common and a lot cheaper, I was just curious if you can use them in place of the 9012's.

ask the guys at lordco or a car/nissan forum? it's a bit too parts specific a question for here..

Or he could just watch the video I posted of some guy using a pair of nail clippers and a small file to change the size of the tab on the bulb so it fits. It would save him a few bucks.

If the proper bulb is a 9012, why are bothering with a 9006 and modifying it?

If you go to Lordco or any auto parts store I'm sure the bulb is far less than $80.

My bulbs on my 1999 Golf we're $12 a piece. So I swapped out both of them at the same time.

If Nissan is charging $80 for a simple headlight bulb there's something seriously wrong.

Archived