The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Collective feeling on Tort's 'antics'?

Steve Carell

The consequences of a passionate coach.

The alternative would have been - AV. You know....NO time-outs, NO goalie-pulls, NO benching of his favorites, NO innovations, NO Sedins on the PK, (not his worst idea), NO trust in players when they say theyre injured - that theyre really injured, NO player re-habilitations from the dog-house, NO motivational speeches or timely communications with the players, NO command of an NHL dressing room, ....NO passion.

So yah ....Im good.

Of all of the talking heads at HNIC, PJ Stock is far and away the most anti-Vancouver. No one is a close second.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about Stock's over-the-top anti-Vancouverism here.

Kelly Hrudey...hes 2nd.

Hrudey is friends with the entire EDM Oiler organization...& cant see the Nucks as anything - but a rival....to them (teams of Alta) & to his former Kings.

i have no problem with him responding to the "4th line"

but going into the Flames dressing room was overboard and unprofessional.

because of that, i fully expect:

1. Flames will get fined

2. Torts will be suspended 10-15 games

3. Canucks and Torts will be fined

I dont think Tortorella made it into the CGY dressing room. Hartley had walked into the room...he came out & engaged Torts with McGrattan betweem them, his players watching & standing about. There was participation in that. Tortorella didnt touch Hartley...that is my understanding. No bodily threats were made...is my understanding too. He wanted to unload his mind on Hartley, before the start of the next period & that is what he did.

Tortorella did not disparage the referees tonite ...nor the League, either. No more than what Patrick Roy got...maybe a little something extra.... if he is a repeat offender in this - I suppose. And - it would be just like the league to un-hand the Canucks of their projected Heritage Classic profits. And - a fine to coach Tortorella too. But, 10-15 games is just koo-koo talk.

Roy spazzed in front of the fans & an entire arena of patrons. Tortorella departed from his routine under the stands...on the way to his office. Had to say what he had to say - I guess. Alert camera feeds barely caught the action. He was adequately restrained by security from entering the opponents dressing room. Hartley came out to engage him further...thats participation. He permitted Tortorella to speak with him...by not departing back into the Flames room or his visitors-coaching-office. Either he was hoping the situation would escalate (baiting).... or he really wanted to hear what Torts had to say.

Loved it, it showed he cares about his players and stood up for the team. AV would be chewing his gum at all that.

They just have very different appraches

I don't think the whole "make them pay on the power play" approach AV liked to use would work very well with the current lineup

Hartley knows he can totally get under Tortorellas skin.....they have history from the eastern conference. Tortorella was guilty....of being baited - tho. He should have seen that for what it was ...& should consider what he might have been done better.....& why.

Guilty of excessive emotion, too - maybe....but totally a hero for his passion for the game... & for his TEAM.

no one on calagry was going to do somthing stupid like skate after the canucks and start swinging at them if they didnt want to fight....the whole protect his players thing is garbage.... look at what happend with bieksa and westgarth , westgarth didnt throw 1 punch because bieksa didnt drop his mitts... if we started a line of kesler higgins hansen... chances are they skate around those goons and score a goal to open the game and no one get kicked out.... its not like it was bad blood between the 2 team or anything... there is no way in todays game an entire line is going to mug the other team off the draw if they dont want to fight.... thats why i think torts is out to lunch if he thinks he was protecting his guys..... hes just as much at fault if not more for what happend to start the game because he had the chance to kill it by putting skilled players out or let it happen by matching up which he did and then to say his hands were tied in the matter is garbage...

And why can't torts match his goons with their goons? Is there a rule in the NHL that says you can't match up the lines? May I also remind you that your scenario always doesn't have the same outcome. Just check the replay of Leafs and Sabres when Kessel faced John Scott.

It was the heat of the moment. He lost it.

But it brings attention, in a big way, to a guy pushed to the brink. A team pushed to brink. And this week's escapades will simply be an exclamation point to that.

It's time that we get some glaring light on this league and the inequalities and, well, BS.

Sure, we'll pay a price...but don't we always anyhow.

So now, we fight back. And teams and the league are thinking "holy crap, they're nuts".

It wouldn't be my first choice, but it is what it is. And the guy went to bat ... he'd seen, heard and had enough. Like many of us.

The league's been trying to break this team's back for awhile. So let's have at 'er then.

And it brings this team together, as I've said, in a total "us vs them" way. Unifies a team when their leader goes to bat like that. Takes the heat for them. Stands up, despite the consequences, to call out a dirty deed.

If this was any other coach in the league I would understand but c'mon its Tortella who's known for his antics and this one was much more then that.

It is what it is. I mean at least Torts was honest about it. Hartley saying that he sent those guys out because they scored a goal last game is total BS.

A guy with 3 FOs this season? Sure...looking for a goal. Give me a break

Despite the fact that Torts crossed the line, I freakin' love the guy.

He will go to war for his players, and likewise, they will go to war for him. Players will go through a wall for a coach who has their backs like Torts does.

Hartley is a goof. "Zero intentions" my ???? ass. What kind of response did he think would happen? That the Canucks would just back down?

Love Torts, the guy is a frackin' beauty.

Archived