The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Colin Campbell calls Tortorella’s behaviour “an embarrassment to the game.”

OrrFour

I agree. The NHL is devolving into a pussified league of politically correct crybabies.

No one cares about the sport anymore, it's all about selling merchandise and overpriced tickets.

Coaches like Tortorella are a dying breed, most of them are automaton robots who would never risk their reputation by being honest about what is actually happening.

I mean seriously, what did people expect when the league was handed over to an American lawyer from New York. And please spare me the 'anti-semitism' accusations etc, most of you feel the same way about Bettman that I do.

Some of us are Jewish, please spare us your anti-Semitic drivel. Keep your focus on the game and not on a persons' religion, race or sexual orientation. We shouldn't have to have this conversation. :picard:

Balls? He's a member of the media. Why would he be scared of Colin Campbell ? Are u serious? What's Campbell guna do about it? Nothing. Doesn't take "balls" at all to write something like that. People write stuff like that all the time.

campbell is nhl upper management.

He can make life difficult for anyone involved in the league.

You know, just like he did for the officials who were making 'soft calls' against his son.

Reminds me of when burke called the province to demand that gallagher be fired.

Sports media generally don't call out members of the nhl head office.

I didn't see any other media call campbell out for his manipulation of the officials.

Correct me if I'm wrong tho.

I listened to the Campbell interview...I don't know why....SSDD

But he did say he had mentioned that Torts should keep in mind that minor league hockey coaches took their lead from NHL coaches. And maybe this is true...but they're coaches, the majority are adults able to determine what it is they like and what it is they don't like. How ever minor league players are kids they believe what they see. And what they see is adults spearing, fighting, cross checking in the game...and that includes Campbell...he was one of the worse offenders in his playing days...deffinitley one of the ditiest players in the NHL....now he has the nerve to call Torts on it...hypocrasy to beat all. Colin sit down shut up and stop sending e-mails to officials complaining about infractions your son had to suffer and most of all remember how you used to play...like a jerk

Yeah, I'm sure Torts rushing into the Calgary dressing room to confront Hartley is 'embarrassing'.

Why?

Nobody got hurt. There was no scrum. It's not like Torts ran in there and slugged another coach.

I can understand the league being prudent in wishing to discourage this. Being prudent in deterring escalation isn't done because you are embarrassed. It's sound management.

You want bush league? Conflict of interest.

Tortorella's behaviour was embarrassing. No doubt. My only question is how much of it was contrived, cynical theatre? He knows full well he has a national audience, and yet he decides to try and go into the Flames locker room. There's no way he's getting in there, he knows that. And what would he do if he got in, have a go at Hartely? The coach sets the tone, he's the voice of authority, he's the leader keeping players focussed on a game plan. Having said all I've been watching this team for decades and it's hard to argue they don't get any breaks from the league. What Gallagher wrote took guts, you don't publicly call our upper league management if you want a good future in the league. So I love this line; "when those emails became public in former referee Dean Warren’s wrongful dismissal case against the NHL, he defended himself by saying that Walkom and he would “have banter back and forth all the time and that Stephen knows that he’s just a hockey dad venting.”But then lo and behold, when the 2011 Stanley Cup final rolls around and [Walkom is chosen to ref]"

So maybe Tortarella decided to try a different tact, make some public noise about the League and how it operates. Or maybe i'm giving him too much credit.

Archived