The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Missing Vigneault Yet?

clutesi

I miss how vigorously AV chewed his gum behind the bench. If Torts wants my respect he'd better purchase a pack of trident already.

Missing him?

His legacy is on display every night in the form of mentally fragile so called professionals this team ices nightly.

The core is irrecoverably tainted by his do nothing say nothing mentality.

The only people who miss AV are Rome and Ebbett.

This core is rotten, and this is the legacy of AV. Can't blame Torts for inheriting a bunch of ne'erdowells.

MG misses AV, but no one else that will matter does. Torts is a breath of fresh air. His post game interviews are bang on. He is the perfect coach for this city.

No way, he can take Rome and Ebbett and stay the hell away from us.

lol i was going to come on and leave a smart ass comment but you guys took care of business.

I was much more frequently in agreement with the way that AV organized and used the lineup than I am with Tortorella.

I don't care for the fact the Sedins spend more time killing penalties than Hansen - it doesn't serve the Sedins and it doesn't serve Hansen.

I really don't like the idea that a revolving carrot is dangled in front of anyone who Torts thinks is playing well - that they become the winger-of-the-night on the Twin line. I draw the line at Booth.

The pairings have likewise been put through the blender on a regular basis - and a couple of the combinations (ie Edler Bieksa) have just never worked. Alot of injuries, but beyond them, additional instability with the constant shuffle.

Five minutes a night for the fourth line is unsustainable - which can be explained in part due to injuries; the fourth line has been somewhat shallow. I think the team might have opted to add another depth veteran center when there were a number of bargains hanging around the UFA market, but that ship sailed (and not all on Tortorella). Nevertheless, the team has been tilted far too much towards top-heavy minutes as the OP points out.

I like the aggressive forecheck when the team is rested and healthy enough to play that style of attack game.

I like Tortorella's willingness to try some changes - but he goes too far imo, whereas most of us felt that AV may have been too conservative in this respect.

Really, if you could balance out the strengths of both coaches you'd have a great coach.

Don't miss AV at all. Torts is just what this team needed to show how weak and ineffective our core really is. Torts needs to stay and the core needs to be re-tooled to suit his style and ideals. If MG has the balls to do that this team will be a contender for many years to come.

:)

I don't see anything wrong with what the OP is saying.

Tortorella, when the team isn't performing for whatever reason, doubles down on the pressure instead of taking the foot off the gas. Only problem is that a hockey team isn't like a Formula One race car. The Sedins and Kesler are being driven into the ground. In a compressed schedule, and towards the end of the year, the exhaustion is only gonna get worse.

It's easy to yell behind the bench, using fear tactics, but the players, especially on this team, are mature veterans, and that tactic will only work for the very short term.

I said before Tortorella was hired that he could be great for up to two years here, but that could be an optimistic prediction. No amount of double shifting the top players, and benching whoever else isn't performing for two shifts, is gonna make the situation better. Quite the opposite.

AV didn't look like such a genius since the second half of the 2011-2012 season. He also didn't look like a genius VS. LA or SJ last two post-seasons.

And as far as the 2010-2011 season goes, a monkey with a typewriter could have coached that team to a successful season.

I'll take Torts to coach my team in a 7-game series over AV any day.

AV didn't look like such a genius since the second half of the 2011-2012 season. He also didn't look like a genius VS. LA or SJ last two post-seasons.

And as far as the 2010-2011 season goes, a monkey with a typewriter could have coached that team to a successful season.

I'll take Torts to coach my team in a 7-game series over AV any day.

Bang on .. says it all .. maybe some day we will get to see that ..

OP is dead on our key players are struggling under torts especially the sedins who are being played so hard even with hanks injury still had too many minutes today. Tort's is relentless on how he uses them I am surprised that he hasn't learned yet. How he used Richards and Nash in new york was one of the reasons he was let go.

I don't care how much of an improvement/fresh air this guy has been but fact is we averaged 2.5 goals per game in his absence while in tort's last 6 games we have been shutout three times and averaged 0.6 goals per game in that same span. That says something.

The more I watch the more I wonder what Tortarella is doing. It's clear to me he doesn't understand the massive toll Vancouver's air travel takes on the players. He has skated his first two lines and top four D until they've all started to drop with injuries. Everyone who has followed the Canucks knew this would happen but Tortarella decided to run his stars into the ground. What's more, the Sedin's aren't made to play in your face D. And let them kill penalties once in a while but you can't play them this much, especially with so much travel. They're targets while they're on the ice and it's no surprise one of the cheap shots caught up to them. Too many times this season the team has looked barely able to finish the 3rd. Meanwhile, the fourth line has barely hit the ice. Tortarella's answer? throw a hissy and hope that motivates them. A.V. is looking like a freakin' genius.

this is pure garbage.

This core is rotten, and this is the legacy of AV. Can't blame Torts for inheriting a bunch of ne'erdowells.

On who's premise are you basing your statement on? So you're saying you want 23 people to adhere to 1, rather than 1 adhering to 23? Torts is given some square pegs, and he's trying to jam them into round holes. Legacy of AV? He utilized our players best, and its pretty reflective when the injuries where just as bad the last few season, he still gave us results. Whats with this unsubstantiated hate on AV? Did he take your GF out for dinner and give her a real treat?

So what you're trying to say is Torts forced Hank to play because our team needs the motivation??? First off, the team itself should be motivated EVERY game (esp now that we're pretty much out of the PO) second, Im pretty sure Hank agreed to play...Coaches can only do so much you know...if the roster suck and your top players aren't producing...

No. I'm saying Hank is forcing himself to play because he is captain, and that because Torts can't gain control of the players, he is trying to. Top players not producing? Wow thank god you have eyes! maybe because he's INJURED.

Why isn't the team motivated? Maybe because the coach isn't placing them in a position to exceed. It's clear that the players aren't buying into his system. Its pretty obvious when you hear Tort's interviews.

Roster sucks? I compare our team to others within the same standings, and all I can think is either "how are they doing that well" or "how are we doing that bad". We have a good group of players. We just have a coach that doesn't utilize it. Compare how AV utilized his players and how Torts utilized them. You're in for a real eye opener.

Archived