The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

{Proposal} Kesler to DAL

To DAL: Kesler, 5th round pick

To VAN: Alex Chaisson, Cody Eakin, Matej Starnsky

Kesler would without a doubt get 2nd line minutes behind Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin, he would get both powerplay minutes and PK minutes, and he gets traded to a team where they trail us by just a single point with a game in hand. Jim Nill has done a good job building this young team into a group that's pushing for a playoff spot, and adding depth, leadership, two-way play and scoring ability could be the final step to their answers, making them a legitimate playoff team.

NOTE: Dallas has just over 12 mil for deadline space.

Chaisson is 6'4, 205 lbs, and is only 23 years old. He scores goals, he's cap-friendly, and he plays well with his teammates. He's a match made in heaven for the Sedins.

I'm a big fan of Cody Eakin. He's got well over average hockey size, he's fast, has playmaking abilities and has a hard shot. He can rough it up too and kill penalties. With Torts at the helm, this is the right kind of player to implement our system and have a future in our top-6.

Matej Stransky is a big and strong prospect playing his first year in the NHL right now. He is the definition of getting younger and stronger, and adding a new young face to our pipeline. He's not far from NHL ready either. He has the potential to play anywhere in our top-9 going forward.

Trading them our 5th would give them more insurance for their youth.

This trade makes absolute sense for both sides. Though Dallas would lose two roster bodies, they get the complete package in a complete bonafide top-6 two-way player in Kesler, as he fits in like a match made from heaven with a young Dallas offence (besides the wizard Whitney). We acquire 2 fresh faces to our roster; making us a lot deeper. Chaisson is an up-and-coming scorer in this league who is already making an impact, Eakin is a younger and less accomplished ROR, and Stransky is the right kind of prospect we need to add big, offensive right-handed depth to our forward pipeline.

The best part of acquiring Chaisson and Eakin is that we add two fresh faces into our lineup that would make an instant impact, and though we would get significantly younger (a great thing), we would still remain a competitive team looking to push for the playoffs, and still keeping us a positively influential group for our prospects when they step in.

+ would give us cap flexibility too.

Unless he wants to pay literally no taxes and is money hungry, I doubt he waives to Texas.

Ice time and an opportunity to win with a younger team is how I see it. Lol.

And although I can only speculate, as a leader of this team for a long time I'd bet that he would want to do what's best for this team if making a move like this is the direction chosen to go.

Being American helps too.

Ice time and an opportunity to win with a younger team is how I see it. Lol.

And although I can only speculate, as a leader of this team for a long time I'd bet that he would want to do what's best for this team if making a move like this is the direction chosen to go.

Being American helps too.

Growing up in Michigan, I doubt Kesler thinks very highly of Texas even tho he's American....but maybe I'm wrong, I just think with all the Texas stereotypes, someone from a Northern state like Michigan would find it a little "republicy"

And I wouldn't wanna trade him within the conference anyways

Growing up in Michigan, I doubt Kesler thinks very highly of Texas even tho he's American....but maybe I'm wrong, I just think with all the Texas stereotypes, someone from a Northern state like Michigan would find it a little "republicy"

And I wouldn't wanna trade him within the conference anyways

I did take divisions into account however. There is no way I would trade him to a division rival.

Value-wise what do you think?

Archived