The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is the media trying to bash Russia?

Del Rio

If that were the case China would have had much worse criticism compared to russia cause they had way bigger problems then a few anti gay laws. But they loan the american government money every year so if there was criticism it wasn't as widespread as this is.

"You can't go on any news station or newsite and not find anything about it; just google search sochi disaster and and you'll start to see how this is different".

A lot of what you're talking about is time-biased. Of course you're going to find more about Sochi when the Sochi Olympics just started. Beijing had a ton of problems, from human rights abuses, to smog, to corruption and bribes. That said, the scale of the corruption at Sochi is quite shocking, and perhaps merits worse criticism.

A lot of what you're talking about is time-biased. Of course you're going to find more about Sochi when the Sochi Olympics just started. Beijing had a ton of problems, from human rights abuses, to smog, to corruption and bribes. That said, the scale of the corruption at Sochi is quite shocking, and perhaps merits worse criticism.

Yes but it wasn't this bad against China. Every single news station wasn't in on it like they are now.

What's more entertaining to me is the US media painting Sochi as a magnet for terrorism while ignoring what happened during the Atlanta games.

I guess the distraction worked, didn't it?

The US isn't painting Sochi as a magnet for terrorism, it is a magnet for terrorism. Most of the terrorism in Russia is local, sourced from breakaway and occupied states anyway. This is a ridiculous assertion.

What happened in Atlanta is completely irrelevant.

If that were the case China would have had much worse criticism compared to russia cause they had way bigger problems then a few anti gay laws. But they loan the american government money every year so if there was criticism it wasn't as widespread as this is.

"You can't go on any news station or newsite and not find anything about it; just google search sochi disaster and and you'll start to see how this is different".

A few anti gay laws?

They've basically outlawed being gay. It's alot more serious than you're making it sound.

China did have alot of criticism from what I remember. Alot of the news coverage there was censored though if you recall.

The US isn't painting Sochi as a magnet for terrorism, it is a magnet for terrorism. Most of the terrorism in Russia is local, sourced from breakaway and occupied states anyway. This is a ridiculous assertion.

What happened in Atlanta is completely irrelevant.

In what way is Atlanta irrelevant when terrorism occurred and killed people (2, and injured over a hundred) in the 1996 bombing of the Atlanta games, while the US media trumps up this fear of terrorist attacks and belittles the Russians by mocking their odd toilet stalls, of all things.

Some perspective would be really helpful.. you're basically parroting the US media.

Sure, the Russian culture is in some ways a little off, but I'm wondering why you so easily cater to the lowest common denominator.. the journalism by media outlets like CNN and FOX News is embarrassing. If I was American I'd be ashamed.

A few anti gay laws?

They've basically outlawed being gay. It's alot more serious than you're making it sound.

China did have alot of criticism from what I remember. Alot of the news coverage there was censored though if you recall.

It wasn't even close to this. This is hands down the worst I have ever seen.

It wasn't even close to this. This is hands down the worst I have ever seen.

Basically. Even the Olympics in China were overly criticized, like in North America our crap doesn't stink.. in this case, there's an extremely odd witch hunt against Russia to slam them for anything. I'm interested in the motivations behind this. I remember the North American media being far more forgiving about both the Atlanta bombing and the luge death in Vancouver then about beds, toilets, and bathrooms in Sochi. It's somewhat disturbing.

The media is criticizing safety of the Russian luge track.. well, if no one dies, unlike Vancouver, then what can they say then? Oh right, they won't say anything, nor will they retract the stupidity of statements like this.

The media tries to intertwine them to further their own objectives; but the Olympics are not about politics.

Politicians come and go, and policies will always be changing. The heart of the Olympics is about the power of sport and it's ability to bridge borders and cultures.

Unfortunately, you can't seperate Olympics from politics. Go back as far as Hitler and the Olympics were already being used as a tool to promote one's country, not about the sports. Don't forget the Munich Massacre.

As far as the heart of the Olympics, I'm sure there was one, long long ago. But it's stop beating, been thrown away and replaced by politics and greed.

The Russians have set a new standard for the way Olympic sites will be built and engineered. Sochi was expected to be a disaster and now many reporters are saying this will be one of the premier off season training sites for Olympic athletes around the world. The media is not worth the crap on the bottom of my shoe and truthfully the sporting fan does not give a rats ass what they report. Enjoy the games for what they are and leave the rhetoric and propaganda to the scum bag reporters and paparazzi.

You people need to understand that it's the media's job to act this way. That's why many people think journalism is dead. There intention is not really to serve the public but treat their work like a business. This kind of thing is global, not just Canada.

Unfortunately, you can't seperate Olympics from politics. Go back as far as Hitler and the Olympics were already being used as a tool to promote one's country, not about the sports. Don't forget the Munich Massacre.

As far as the heart of the Olympics, I'm sure there was one, long long ago. But it's stop beating, been thrown away and replaced by politics and greed.

There was a man that was on the Colbert show that talked about how images used in the Olympics used to symbolize the athletes and now its all corporate logos.

Just like how the ioc told the norweigian athletes not to wear armbands to remember one of their athletes that passed away i think. I bet if it was a sponsor or corporate, it would've been ignored.

i think a lot of you are just making stuff up as you go along when discussing this

having an opinion for the sake of it, or something. largely out of paranoia or a desire to want to believe in the purity of this sort of trash

I think a lot of people don't know what is really going on cause they don't understand the previous history between the two countries.

I'm not sure what's being said back home but everyone I've talked to here is very happy with Sochi with the sole exception of some accommodations.

The venues are nice, the opening ceremony was very impressive, the volunteers are very helpful and security is tight but not as fanatical as I expected them to be inside the "Ring".

Just my impressions

Archived