The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flame on! Public pressure has B.C. government fast-tracking plans to light Olympic cauldron

Grapefruits

Todd Stone said the original plan was to light Vancouver’s cauldron on the final day of the Sochi Games, but that’s now under review after public complaints.

Which idiot thought it'd be a good idea to light it at the END of the games? This genius should be fired ASAP.

Also where/how can we find out if it's going to be lit for the evening? I live in Langley and I'm for sure not going to drive down to the plaza unless I'm sure it's going to be lit.

Which idiot thought it'd be a good idea to light it at the END of the games? This genius should be fired ASAP.

Also where/how can we find out if it's going to be lit for the evening? I live in Langley and I'm for sure not going to drive down to the plaza unless I'm sure it's going to be lit.

They say they will light it when Canada wins a Gold Medal. Since Canada did not win a Gold Medal today, it will NOT be lit tonight. You have to listen/follow the news to find out when Canada wins a Gold Medal.

Its easy when its someone elses money isnt it.

My tax dollars helped pay for that torch, and I would like to see it lit with my tax dollars if need be. I'm getting real tired of the bleeding hearts stamping their feet saying the money need to go to the homeless, drug addicts, etc, etc.

$200,000 grand is chump change in the grand scheme of things. I'm also sure it won't cost anything close to that. The least they could do is light it from dusk to midnight or something.

But instead, no torch will be lit and that money will disappear without helping anyone anyways, and Vancouver will be laughed at because we can't be bothered to light the torch or even get around to putting up the statue Greece gave us 4 years ago.

The person behind the allegations name is Laura Robinson and she's countersuing John Furlong for defamation.

I don't have to tread carefully. I asked a simple question.

How can you counter-sue for defaming Furlong first?

That's so stupid.

Is this confirmed? I know they said that it would be but they also said that it'd be condition upon us getting the proper fundings approved. And if so, is 6pm for two hours still official?

They got some private funding but the Minister in charge said the Flame will be lit when a gold medal is won. This is the first time Canada has won since he made his announcement. Politicians don't lie do they? It will be lit for 2 hours - 6:00 -8:00 pm.

Vancouver’s Olympic cauldron will be fired up Wednesday night, following Canada’s gold medal win in women’s bobsled at the Sochi Games.

The cauldron is expected to be lit for two hours starting at 6 p.m. to celebrate the first-place finish of Canadian bobsled duo Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse, who beat the U.S. team of Elana Meyers and Lauryn Williams by one-tenth of a second after four runs.

Vancouver’s Olympic flame was last lit up Feb. 12, after a public outcry about the darkened cauldron at Jack Poole Plaza.

B.C. Pavilion Corp., which operates the cauldron, said it has received private donations to light the flame on days Canada wins a gold medal and during the final day of the Sochi Olympics.

The cost of lighting the cauldron for the duration of the games would be more than $200,000. Donations have to remain anonymous because of IOC rules banning commercial sponsorship when the Games are on.

chchan@theprovince.com

http://www.theprovin...5984/story.html

Vancouver’s Olympic cauldron will be fired up Wednesday night, following Canada’s gold medal win in women’s bobsled at the Sochi Games.

The cauldron is expected to be lit for two hours starting at 6 p.m. to celebrate the first-place finish of Canadian bobsled duo Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse, who beat the U.S. team of Elana Meyers and Lauryn Williams by one-tenth of a second after four runs.

Vancouver’s Olympic flame was last lit up Feb. 12, after a public outcry about the darkened cauldron at Jack Poole Plaza.

B.C. Pavilion Corp., which operates the cauldron, said it has received private donations to light the flame on days Canada wins a gold medal and during the final day of the Sochi Olympics.

The cost of lighting the cauldron for the duration of the games would be more than $200,000. Donations have to remain anonymous because of IOC rules banning commercial sponsorship when the Games are on.

9525985.jpg?size=620x400s

sorry...but what's the point of lighting it up, if you're only gonna light it up for 2 hours...woopee doo.....and from 6-8?? thats like the time when most people are having dinner....

thats like during nye and they had that dumb "early countdown" at robson square at 7:30pm....either have it done right, or don't do it at all....

the city seriously needs to overhaul that department....senior retirement homes probably celebrate better than the city

Archived