The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flame on! Public pressure has B.C. government fast-tracking plans to light Olympic cauldron

Grapefruits

9500388.jpg

Vancouver’s Olympic cauldron burns during Grey Cup festivities in 2011. It will soon be ignited in honour of the Sochi Olympics.

Photograph by: Mark van Manen , PNG

The B.C. cabinet minister in charge of Vancouver’s now-extinguished Olympic flame said the government is considering re-lighting the cauldron earlier than planned in honour of Canadian athletes competing at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

Todd Stone said the original plan was to light Vancouver’s cauldron on the final day of the Sochi Games, but that’s now under review after public complaints.

The Province’s front page Wednesday generated a lot of response about the flameless cauldron on the city’s waterfront.

“I’ve asked my officials to talk to PavCo and find out why we can’t light the cauldron now,” Stone told reporters at the legislature Wednesday.

He was referring to the B.C. Pavilion Corporation, which operates B.C. Place stadium and the downtown cauldron site from Vancouver’s 2010 Olympic Games.

Stone said PavCo has done other things to honour the Canadian team in Sochi.

“We changed the lights on B.C. Place stadium,” he said, adding he thinks more could be done to celebrate Canada’s success in Sochi so far.

He said it wouold cost about $200,000 to light the cauldron at Jack Poole Plaza and the government may seek corporate sponors or some other financing method to cover the cost.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Vancouver+Olympic+cauldron+flame+sooner+than+planned/9500387/story.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No doubt some will complain about the cost, but I think it's a great idea. For those that have never seen it lit, it will be a pretty cool.

I think I heard it costs $6,400 for 4 hours of flame so it could get damn expensive.

On the other hand, we just hosted the last Olympics and to see that Calgary and Montreal (the only other Canadian Olympic cities) have their Olympic cauldron's lit during the Sochi games makes our city look lame once again.

The City/Province/Pavco could have done this up really big with a little planning. Sponsors could have been secured, parties and events could have been organized in and around Jack Poole plaza, even if it was just on weekends during the games.

At the very least the cost of lighting the flame during the games could have been recouped by the extra dollars being spent on restaurants, hotels, and shopping in the downtown area by locals and tourists looking to rekindle their Olympic experience.

Any wonder were called the NO FUN city.

I'm assuming the majority of that is for the price of gas. It's small change for a large corporation to step up and cover the cost. I think Molson or a company like that should step up.

This exactly, get a sponsor like tim hortons or something and they can put a logo on it. How the most recent city to host the olympics doesnt have their torch lit where Turin,Salt Lake and others do makes no sense. Definitely dropped the ball on that one.

If they are worried about the cost and dont wanna pony up to run it and dont want a sponsor to step up then take it down, makes no sense to have it just sit there if they wont light it up, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE OLYMPICS ARE ON!!!

I think I heard it costs $6,400 for 4 hours of flame so it could get damn expensive.

On the other hand, we just hosted the last Olympics and to see that Calgary and Montreal (the only other Canadian Olympic cities) have their Olympic cauldron's lit during the Sochi games makes our city look lame once again.

The City/Province/Pavco could have done this up really big with a little planning. Sponsors could have been secured, parties and events could have been organized in and around Jack Poole plaza, even if it was just on weekends during the games.

At the very least the cost of lighting the flame during the games could have been recouped by the extra dollars being spent on restaurants, hotels, and shopping in the downtown area by locals and tourists looking to rekindle their Olympic experience.

Any wonder were called the NO FUN city.

That's what they're saying but I'd be absolutely shocked if that was legitimately the cost.

This exactly, get a sponsor like tim hortons or something and they can put a logo on it. How the most recent city to host the olympics doesnt have their torch lit where Turin,Salt Lake and others do makes no sense. Definitely dropped the ball on that one.

If they are worried about the cost and dont wanna pony up to run it and dont want a sponsor to step up then take it down, makes no sense to have it just sit there if they wont light it up, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE OLYMPICS ARE ON!!!

Apparently that would violate IOC rules I've found out. There cannot be any corporate sponsors tied to an event tied to the Olympic Games due to IOC policies. Lighting the cauldron during the Games links it to the Games.

Still stupid. They could have arranged an anonymous donor to light it. From my understanding, thats how it was lit tonight, through donations.

Archived