The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Rebuild?

The more I watch the Canucks struggle the more it seems obvious it is time to look towards the future. MG has handcuffed himself with all the NTC/NMCs he has given out but I have involved a couple players I think would waive them with my reasoning.

Trade 1:

To VAN: Adam Larsson, Ben Johnson

To NJD: Alex Edler

Why? Larsson has again been demoted to the AHL and needs a change of scenery. Ben Johnson is a low risk acquisition- he could be a Burrows like player or could be a Hansen- either way its a solid pickup. Jersey is weak at defense so picking up a player who is immediately first pairing for them is solid. Edler has a NTC but there has been rumors of him waiving it this offseason anyways.

Trade 2:

To VAN: Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner

To TOR: Ryan Kesler

Why? Kesler deserves to be a number 1 centre in the NHL. If I were him, I would crave it. That's why he would waive his NTC. Kadri gets bumped by Kesler so his involvement is obvious. Gardiner is a solid offensive defenseman that needs to be involved to move Kes. Lastly, IMO, the East plays a softer more skilled game than the West so I think Kesler would be far more durable in the East.

Trade 3:

To VAN: Sami Salo, Brett Connolly, 2014 2nd

To TBL: Kevin Bieksa

Why? To continue the rebuild, one more defenseman has to go. In this trade, TBL gets a great d-man built for the playoffs. I don't know if Bieksa would waive his NTC but Hamhuis and Garrison signed here to be close to home so I think he is the most likely of the 3. Vancouver gets Salo (to retire a Canuck), Connolly who is offensively talented but cant seem to crack the lineup for various reasons and a solid pick.

Trade 4:

To VAN: Jiri Tlusty

To CAR: Alex Burrows

Why? Burrows needs a change of scenery. As the Sedins have struggled, it shows how limited he is in that top 3 scoring line. Signed long term at a good price makes him attractive and playing in Carolina where he is not expected to be a top line guy is a good thing. Tlusty showed his offensive talent last year and has expectedly declined this season (nobody can shoot 19% back to back seasons) but is still an improved offensive option to Burrows or Hansen.

So with those trades, we get a lot younger and build for the future. Below is the 2014/15 Roster with approximate salaries:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Zack Kassian ($2.500m)

Brett Connolly ($2.000m) / Nazem Kadri ($2.900m) / Jiri Tlusty ($3.000m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Bo Horvat ($0.925m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Mike Santorelli ($1.250m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m)

Darren Archibald ($0.726m) / Zac Dalpe ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Adam Larsson ($3.000m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Jake Gardiner ($3.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Chris Tanev ($2.750m) / Raphael Diaz ($2.000m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,834,333; BONUSES: $850,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $9,265,667

Fire sales do not work. As a GM, Your best deal will have to be the first one because the deals won't be getting any better for you. The smell of your desperation will permeate through the league and your assets will artificially deflate in price.

I am surprised on the hate for the Kesler for Kadri and Gardiner move. Kesler is not the same Kesler that led us to game 7 of the SCFs. If you can get a 60 point 2C and a 40+ point top 4 Dman both of who are younger and will improve, that is a win in my book. Kadri gets a lot of hate but if you watch him for more than 30 seconds of highlights, he does a lot right out there.

I am surprised on the hate for the Kesler for Kadri and Gardiner move. Kesler is not the same Kesler that led us to game 7 of the SCFs. If you can get a 60 point 2C and a 40+ point top 4 Dman both of who are younger and will improve, that is a win in my book. Kadri gets a lot of hate but if you watch him for more than 30 seconds of highlights, he does a lot right out there.

Kesler looks just fine playing a huge role on the US Olympic team.

It going to take better players to get Kesler than Kadri and Gardiner.

Fire sales do not work. As a GM, Your best deal will have to be the first one because the deals won't be getting any better for you. The smell of your desperation will permeate through the league and your assets will artificially deflate in price.

It's going to be interesting to see if Buffalo wins a cup before us. They have had a full fire sale and stocked up some ridiculous amounts of picks.

Trade 4:

To VAN: Jiri Tlusty

To CAR: Alex Burrows

Why? Burrows needs a change of scenery. As the Sedins have struggled, it shows how limited he is in that top 3 scoring line. Signed long term at a good price makes him attractive and playing in Carolina where he is not expected to be a top line guy is a good thing. Tlusty showed his offensive talent last year and has expectedly declined this season (nobody can shoot 19% back to back seasons) but is still an improved offensive option to Burrows or Hansen.

If Tlusty is an improved offensive option that Burrows (which I agree with), why would Carolina take the more expensive and older Burrows for him?

Canucks get younger, better and cheaper, and dump a contract no one wants. Burrows is not signed for a good price.

2 reasons I proposed this trade for Carolina:

1) Burrows, I believe is a little more well rounded than Tlusty.

2) Tlusty is an RFA and with the cap going up could sign a bridge at 3 million. Burrows fills that 2nd line wing that can score 20 and play PK- something they need more than another Skinner or Semin.

We may need to add a forward prospect (they are lacking in those) to make the deal work but I still think the main pieces are not far off what both teams need.

Archived